• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Steam - Windows Skullgirls Resolution?

kupo15

Reaction score
Cerebella
I just have a simple quick question if anyone knows. What resolution is SG made at and roughly what are the character sprite dimensions? I think its 720p but is it a true 720p or are the sprites assets made at a lower resolution and upscaled to a 720 game window?
Thanks!

I just have a simple quick question if anyone knows. What resolution is SG made at and roughly what are the character sprite dimensions? I think its 720p but is it a true 720p or are the sprites assets made at a lower resolution and upscaled to a 720 game window?
Thanks!
They are 1440p? and downsampled to 720p?

The sprite assets are actually hand drawn in 1440 resolution and down-scaled to 720p.

There was some talk of having an HD-Sprite pack released for the PC but I think its been canceled due to lack of funds/time.

Even with the sprites down-scaled to 720p, they're STILL higher rez sprites than any other fighting game on the market (see the attached picture).

Attachments

• 8mOcp5d.png
    8mOcp5d.png
    660.6 KB · Views: 11,586
Wow 1440p? That is huge, isn't that a little over kill? I wonder if he just created the sprites at that size then shrunk them and loaded them in the game or if they actually are that size loaded into the game then downscaled the whole game to 720. I can't see it being the latter though.

Wow 1440p? That is huge, isn't that a little over kill? I wonder if he just created the sprites at that size then shrunk them and loaded them in the game or if they actually are that size loaded into the game then downscaled the whole game to 720. I can't see it being the latter though.

better made bigger and downscale, because inverse doesn´t work lol

Last edited:
The first one for sure, yeah.
Skullgirls sprites don't fall into classic 2d videogames animation, but more into modern western animation, which requires very high resolution for every frame.
I wonder if for Skullgirls "2"(3 Encore?) we'll have the technology to enjoy the 1440p, mmh.

Last edited:
The first one for sure, yeah.
Skullgirls sprites don't fall into classic 2d videogames animation, but more into modern western animation, which requires very high resolution for every frame.
I wonder if for Skullgirls "2"(3 Encore?) we'll have the technology to enjoy the 1440p, mmh.
Do you think it was made at that size then scaled down to the correct display resolution before going in engine or do you think it was actually put in engine at that size then scaled down? I can't imagine it being the latter otherwise how do they not use a lot of ram for such huge character sprites?

better made bigger and downscale, because inverse doesn´t work lol

True, but what if they wanted to make it 1080 but making the sprites at that size used too much ram so they had to go down to 720p then decided to upscale everything to the 1080p resolution. Then that would be worse than creating them in the 720 and upscaling to 1080 from there