• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

So, I went online for the first time...

Jarvan IV

Reaction score
Double Valentine Fukua
Looked for a game, only one room (Muh dead PS3 online), labelled "Casual". Seemed like a pretty good experience, so I joined. Picked Valentine and Double and they picked just Squiggly. I was doing okay, and they finally get a hit on me, and it's like every beginner's worst nightmare. Like Fillia on Fukua's story. 400000 link combo with no escape. I turned off the PS3 before it got too grisly, but is this really fair? Such one sided fights can't be fun for anyone. Any tips on how to git gud? PS3 controller's a pain because you have to move at carpal-tunnel inducing speeds just to get weak combos off. Any tips on overcoming that and becoming like this squiggly?

Reactions: bravefrogy
Yeah... it's pretty normal to be destroyed a lot of times.

my suggestion is to look for newbies' groups here in the forums or steam: say your skill level, how much do you play and what you do and don't know, someone will near your level will surely appear to spar

don't blame the controller tho, the guy who won evo did it with a ps4 pad

400000 link combo with no escape.
I know you're exaggerating but.. those don't exist.
Many new players don't identify that they have been reset which is when the enemy purposely stops their combo and goes for mix up which looks like a solid combo, but it is really where you're supposed to escape.
I turned off the PS3 before it got too grisly
That's a shame you should have played the round out.
but is this really fair
Yes. He is playing with the same rule set as you are.
It's okay to lose.
Any tips on how to git gud?
Sure! Check out the beginner resources thread, or look for training partners and even make a training diary so you can identify the areas that you have troubles with or want some clarification with.
Make sure to complete the tutorial as it will help you with a lot of things.
Most of all just keep playing.
Everyone started off in the same shoes as you.
PS3 controller's a pain because you have to move at carpal-tunnel inducing speeds just to get weak combos off.
It was said already but the Skullgirls Evo2014 champion won on a PS4 pad which is very similar.
Injustice Evo 2014 winner was also on PS3/4 Pad I believe.

If your like me you develop an irrational hate for solobellas and practice till your family have that intervention.

P.s I'm talking about vanilla days. Those days made me go put hair on my chest

Reactions: Fat-Ass ♪
To anyone who likes making tutorials:
It might be useful to have a beginner-oriented video of Squigly just doing stance-cancel resets into highs or lows over and over with the text "This is not a combo!" and then an explanation of the various points of escape and how to do so (block low or high). The same could be said for Filia or whoever. And then a little end bit with the undizzy bar and green/red hitsparks with "If it is a combo, eventually this happens and you can press any button to escape."

Just because you're getting hit doesn't make any series of hits a combo...

its totally ok, everytime you play on ps3 you gonna get fucking destroyed, hope you like being a punching bag because thats the only way to play this game, have fun being tossed around~

its totally ok, everytime you play on ps3 you gonna get fucking destroyed,
That's the same for like every other fighting game on PS3 plus Xbox360, PC, Xbox One, PS4 and even Wii U (It has TTT2). You will always find someone better than you.

its totally ok, everytime you play on ps3 you gonna get fucking destroyed, hope you like being a punching bag because thats the only way to play this game, have fun being tossed around~
Nah I win like 95% of my games on PSN.
You just have to practice and spend time learning the game.

If you are losing, someone else is winning. Someone else was able to get good enough to beat you, yet you seem to somehow imply the same is impossible for you.
By definition only 50% of the people are losing. If you're one of 'em, then it means there are people better than you.
If your attitude is that it's the game's fault (with any game!) then it is likely that you're going to stay in the losing half.

Hey @Mike_Z, you know that prompt that asks if you've read the latest patch notes?

Maybe you should have a prompt for when you enter online versus that asks if you know what a reset is. When you select "no," you get redirected to that video that @Skarmand made.

Reactions: Flotilla
If Lab Zero has enough time and resources to update the Tutorial with new lessons, then it would be better to make a lesson based on Skarmand's video.

Reactions: Barrogh
Is there a lesson on resetting? I know KI has one.

nope there isnt, just mash buttons and then grab...there quick reset lesson

I think the most reasonable suggestion would be a box recommending trying a beginner lobby or completing the tutorial before playing quick match.

nope there isnt, just mash buttons and then grab...there quick reset lesson
Sounds like you got it all figured out, why did you make a 'please teach me resets' thread?

Last edited:
i would love to, but they will rename it so meh, maybe another times