• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Strategic Tournament Presence

Zidiane

Doing my best
Reaction score
Steam
Zidiane
PSN
zidiane5
XBL
Zidiane
Cerebella
Hey guys. I've been thinking a lot about tournaments since NEC, and people who were able to show up or unable to show up. And I think maybe we should start having discussions about important tournaments to show up to in advance, to make sure that the important events have Tournament presence.

Basically we would discuss which tournaments are going to be the biggest or the most important (because of things like pot bonuses or live streams, or something else) within a time frame and in a region (like East Coast or whatever), and try to organize who's going to show up where. This would help us get more players per tournament I think, and prevent things like people going out of their way to show up to a tournament with a small handful of players.

This would not be to discourage players who want to go to every tournament, or players who want to/can only go to one specifically, but to make sure that the players who say "I have enough money to go to one, but I don't know which one to go to" get to make the biggest splash and have the best time they can.

Now, I'm kinda bad at organization, but I think the first step would be to draw up a calender with all the events and where, the suspected size of the tournaments outside of Skullgirls (more people, better chance to draw newcomers), side factors (streams or legit setups or pot bonuses), and anything else people think is an important deciding factor when deciding what to go to.

I'm up for that. It's hard for me to get out to a lot of stuff, and to be honest I was kind of surprised I actually made it out to NEC. I know that @keninblack drew up some majors that people should look to go to before. As for myself, I don't think I can make it out to CEO or EVO this year. I kind of have to stay within the east coast/ new englandish area for the rest of the year. I might be able to make it out to winter brawl, but I'm not sure. I want to go out to the Fall River tournie on Jan 4th, but I'm not even too sure about getting there at this point in time

Well after talking to TO's in the past 20 minutes, its kinda too early to make a thread like that. A lot of them don't have dates or a game list yet, so right now its too early for some... but heres small little list with dates on tournaments that will either have, or most likely have SG.

Apex 2014 in Somerset NJ (Jan 17th-Jan 19th)
Winter Brawl 8 in Philadelphia PA (Feb 21st-Feb 23rd)
Ultimate Fighting Game Tournament 10 (UFGT) in Chicago IL (May 23rd-May 25th)
East Coast Throwdown in Morristown NJ (TBD)
Civil War 6 in Richmond VA (TBD)

This is all I have for you now sadly, I'm talking with Apex to get the tournament on Sat. I'll be at WB, ECT, and CW so you can at least expect a side tournament. Than I'm sure Duck and the MW will get something going for UFGT. So just stay tuned!

Evo's the big one I need to save money for, UFGT is roadtrippable for me but that's pretty late in the season to make a real impression, and Winter Brawl is a big maybe if I have to fly but if anybody else is driving through or out of Ohio I'd be down to chip in for gas.

Poverty gaming is a hard life.

In terms of importance it goes...

SSS+ Tier:
EVO

A Tier:
ANY tournament that puts Skullgirls down as a MAIN game. (EX: CEO2013 and UFGT9 last year)

B Tier:
Anything else

So put that in consideration, i'd play the waiting game and figure out which tournaments are down to put us as a main game, and wreck those. Than of course any you can go to without breaking the bank works. Like for me Civil War isn't even a hassle because its the same state.

Short of a catastrophic schedule meltdown, I'll actually be participating at UFGT10, and I've got a couch for anybody looking to go extra frugal on the trip out to CHI.

Reactions: POS Industries
Not sure if they'll have Skullgirls, but Northwest Majors 6 May 3-4 2014.

They had Skullgirls at NWM 4, but it doesn't look like it was included at NWM5?

Last edited:
it's important to keep a consistent tournament presence everywhere... that way people see the game is actually being played and the community looks better for it.

Strategically picking tournaments, people will think SG players are not committed and only turn up to events where there is sure to be a lot of other players.

Reactions: Dime and Kai
it's important to keep a consistent tournament presence everywhere... that way people see the game is actually being played and the community looks better for it. Strategically picking tournaments, people will think SG players are not committed and only turn up to events where there is sure to be a lot of other players.
SG players aren't going to go to every event so let us as a small community select the ones we'll go to and get good numbers at those events 20+ people at some majors is better than 5-6 people at every major
You need both. If there's one near you, go to it, and if there's a big one you can make, go to that, too. You don't want to just blacklist a tournament (which is essentially what saying, "this isn't important enough," is does), because it only take one time where nobody shows up before the organizers just take it off the list.

not paying like 100+ dollars to go a 5 man tournament sorry
That's what locals are for (which don't exist either atm)

They do exist and I held up the brackets for you >:[

You won't pay $100 for a night of gaming and fraternal bonding?
  • If you assume the event takes only 4 hours, that's $25/hr.
  • If you take your girl to the movies, you just paid $20/hr, and that's not including snacks.
  • Assuming you splurged on popcorn and a soda, you just spent $33/hr.
$100 ain't shit.

You won't pay $100 for a night of gaming and fraternal bonding?
  • If you assume the event takes only 4 hours, that's $25/hr.
  • If you take your girl to the movies, you just paid $20/hr, and that's not including snacks.
  • Assuming you splurged on popcorn and a soda, you just spent $33/hr.
$100 ain't shit.
Also I bet some of us have a better chance of putting out than your girl, just saiyan.

Reactions: Kai and keninblack
Getting off topic a teensy bit, guys.

it's important to keep a consistent tournament presence everywhere... that way people see the game is actually being played and the community looks better for it.

Strategically picking tournaments, people will think SG players are not committed and only turn up to events where there is sure to be a lot of other players.
You don't want to just blacklist a tournament (which is essentially what saying, "this isn't important enough," is does), because it only take one time where nobody shows up before the organizers just take it off the list.

We don't have the luxury of saying "Well, just go to whichever ones you want". Cause we just don't. You can do that in other games cause other games have players everywhere, but we need to play smart. Maybe "blacklisting" tournaments is a shitty thing to do... but maybe we can't afford not to atm.

I mean, I talked to a few people about showing up to Apex, and they were like "well, there's no one talking about it, I can't go to them all, so maybe I should go to this other one". But if we have organized discussions so that 5 months in advance people know who's showing up where, then our presence will be stronger.

Like I said in the OP, if you can go to every tourney then you go boy. But if you look in your wallet and a butterfly pops out and you go "shit, man... I can make maybe one..." then maybe we should know which one.