• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The 300ms Beat Extend Diary

Receita Federal

300ms Member
Reaction score
Steam
receitafederal
Valentine Double Big Band
Hello people, i've been playing for a long time, and i think it's time for me to start one of these.

I play mostly Valentine/Double/Band (H bypass, M bomber and M beat extend assists) but i do have a decent Eliza. So, my first issue is knowing when to call beat extend. Since it's so good, i tend to overuse it a lot, even when band is dying/is dead/is on point (lol), i sometimes don't believe in my defenses vs some mixups so i just downback/upback and keep calling it instead of trying to block the pressure.

Another thing that i tend to do a lot with all chars is empty jumps to bait chicken blocks, that makes me a easy target to airgrabs that otherwise i would tech normally. Those are my 2 principal issues. I do tend to upback more than i should but i think i can fix that pretty easily.
Here is some recent footage of me vs Mwisk, another brazilian Val/Extend player (sadly, no lag involved)

I'll try to keep this updated daily or weekly if possible

Got 2nd place in Clawmaster's tourney yesterday. Was pretty happy with my performances, especially the sets vs Cadenza, which i won one, something i never did before. I will post the sets here once clawmaster uploads them

skullheart died and so did my memory of this thread. anyways i'll try to get a set with someone and upload it

Alright, i went a set with noaa this morning.

Still can't get inside properly vs that team so i end up committing a lot of unsafe jump ins and badly timed assist calls.
How can i properly avoid that zoning without overusing my assists?

I also have been working on a second team for quite some time. It consists of Robo-fortune(h beam), Valentine(h bypass) and Big Band(m beat extend). It looks very effective and has some very damaging, almost fullscreen confirms, but i still can't zone right with robo. I'll try to upload a set of it

Alright, i went a set with noaa this morning.

Still can't get inside properly vs that team so i end up committing a lot of unsafe jump ins and badly timed assist calls.
How can i properly avoid that zoning without overusing my assists?
Doesn't really look like you're having trouble with the zoning, at least from this set. There's like one game where you get zoned out for a significant amount of time. In all the others you eventually manage to find your way in.

That said it's sort of hard to see where you are losing games. From what I remember of the ones you lose, you kind of just get hit once and then noaa steamrolls you. Maybe you need to work on defense? This team is kinda rough since you don't have a safe DHC after Valentine dies, and when Valentine does die it's normally before she hits two bars.

There are a couple things I noticed that are maybe helpful. The first is that you whiff a lot of dead crosses while the opponent is half screen or closer. It looks like if you throw an air dead cross at all, you always throw the H version. Try the L or M versions for opponents who are closer. The other thing is that you very rarely call your Valentine assist. It's good for both your characters, don't forget that you have it. It takes til around game 18 for you to even start calling it, and when you hit with L Luger into Bypass assist you aren't ready to hit confirm it. You end up just shooting the gun again.

Reactions: Receita Federal
Doesn't really look like you're having trouble with the zoning, at least from this set. There's like one game where you get zoned out for a significant amount of time. In all the others you eventually manage to find your way in.

That said it's sort of hard to see where you are losing games. From what I remember of the ones you lose, you kind of just get hit once and then noaa steamrolls you. Maybe you need to work on defense? This team is kinda rough since you don't have a safe DHC after Valentine dies, and when Valentine does die it's normally before she hits two bars.

There are a couple things I noticed that are maybe helpful. The first is that you whiff a lot of dead crosses while the opponent is half screen or closer. It looks like if you throw an air dead cross at all, you always throw the H version. Try the L or M versions for opponents who are closer. The other thing is that you very rarely call your Valentine assist. It's good for both your characters, don't forget that you have it. It takes til around game 18 for you to even start calling it, and when you hit with L Luger into Bypass assist you aren't ready to hit confirm it. You end up just shooting the gun again.

yeah my defense is kinda horrible, i do need to work on it more... i can see the mixup but not react fast enough and that pisses me off.

about the dead crosses, i was using them to stop robo's assist or napalm shots at a bigger distance because at half screen or close i can dash and get on him safely since there isnt any vertical assist on his team, but you may be right, i see outlaw spike using very well all the versions so i'll give it a try too.

val's assist is something i labbed a little but i would end up calling it on horribly unsafe times so it kinda scared me of calling her at all with double. with big band i can call her more to make the brass safe and some almost fullscreen confirms off giant step. val hardly is alive when big band is in the field tho, except when i alpha counter or things like that

Last edited:
yeah my defense is kinda horrible, i do need to work on it more... i can see the mixup but not react fast enough and that pisses me off.

You are definitely not supposed to block true 50/50 s correctly everytime, by definition. The thing about working in your defense should be focusing on reacting PROPERLY and CONSCIOUSLY to the situations that have yet to become a true 50/50.

If everytime your opponent gets nearby, you start upbacking for days and mashing assist without a proper decision (like a script), that just gives him a valid info on the way to approach and bait your patterns in the next time. Notice that in this case your opponent gets some info and you dont, because your decision wasnt conscious.
Anti airing, hitting a button at the right time, knowing when is your turn to play, blocking, ...etc. are all actions that can be used while in defensive.

its been so long since i updated this
i had my kumite today and i'm pretty happy with my performances (besides the lugon set which i choked hard and literally forgot how to fight him)

its been so long since i updated this
i had my kumite today and i'm pretty happy with my performances (besides the lugon set which i choked hard and literally forgot how to fight him)

I fucking sucks in Kumite.
Btw, good job Receita, you're really good player.
And we love you.