• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Tutorial The Mental Game

keninblack

NJ/VA
Reaction score
Steam
keninblack3s
PSN
keninblack
Parasoul Double Painwheel
So the SGC has plenty of threads discussing the mechanics and the ins and outs of understanding the game of Skullgirls. Which is awesome! However, I feel like one thing that doesn't get talked about enough is what happens outside of the game. The mental and physical aspect of the player him or herself goes through while playing. This is what this thread will be about, basically i'll be discussing the mental game (hence the thread title) that goes with playing not just Skullgirls, but a competitive fighting game altogether. I won't be discussing character specific stuff or anything of the sort unless i'm using examples, this thread's goal is to be a tool for EVERYONE to use and understand. I want this to help up and coming players understand just exactly what it takes to reach a certain level in this game, not just with "getting gud" but also "getting smurt". I will be making my own postings as I see fit discussing certain topics or whatever, but I will also be completely down to answer any questions you have and do my best to answer them! Keep in mind, this ISN'T the thread to ask "Hey is this Valentine combo optimal enough?" we're not talking about that here what we're talking about is the mental. So keep that in mind.

Before we start, incase you're completely new I will just do a quick rundown of who I am and why I am doing this.

I'm keninblack, i've been playing this game competitively for about as long as someone possibly could. I've had ups and downs as a player like everyone else has i'm sure, but I feel like after playing the game for 5 years going on 6 we haven't had a simple discussion of the mentality of what it takes to play this game at a decently high level. I want this thread to be the start.

Chapter 1: Everyone is Mortal

SG is at this point in the game where we have a very clear indication on who the best players are. If you've been following the game, you'll know that Sonicfox is basically the undisputed best player in the world. With dekillsage being the undisputed 2nd best player in the world. Now, this has been the case for about a year or two now. The lack of variety in 1st and 2nd place at tournaments these players have attended has caused a bit of a deflation in the overall drive of the community. While understandable, I am here to encourage EVERYONE, that these players are simply players. At the end of the day, they hold no immortal quality about them, they ARE beatable. Below these two, I could easily name 10-12 players that very much have the potential to dismantle the throne and claim it for themselves! Swiftox-Dash, Liam, Cloud, McPeanuts, the list goes on and on. Yes, these players might not have winning records against Sonic and Sage, but they are right at the cusp. All its going to come down to is who is hungry for the spot.

A little bit of a history lesson, a player named Duckator was the EVO2012 AND EVO2013 champion. During these two years, he won every other tournament he entered. That said, UFGTX was when Winnie beat him in winners and in losers, after that, EVO2014 was won by dekillsage. Sonic may have gotten 4th at EVO2014, but he grew into the Combo Breaker 2015 and 2016 champion. Now, what makes Sonic and dekillsage so special? Yes they are absolutely amazing players not only in the game but in the mentality as well. However, if Duckator can not win a tournament, so can they.

We as players have to BELIEVE IN OURSELVES, I know that sounds corny, but it really holds true. You CAN'T go into a tournament with the self fulfilling prophecy of "I'll see if I can get 3rd or 4th because I have no chance at beating them." If you think that you're already set in stone. You have to enter knowing you can beat anyone in that room so long as you put the time and work in. No one is immortal, everyone is mortal. The community has made great strides in coming closer and closer, we just have to keep at it and see ourselves grow as players. Its very possible and very realistic, and whats wild about it is ANYONE can do it. From a beginner to a seasoned vet, if you have the drive and will to put in the work to take down the greats you very well can do it. How is simply what you learn along the way, after countless falls. I hope I can use this platform to help expand your though process about the game as we help change the meta of the game together.

So thats a little taste of what this thread is going to be about, if you have anything in mind you need help about please let me know and I'll see what I can do to help provide advice on how to go about it.

Everyone feel free to respond with questions you have about the mentality of the game as I try to stir up ideas of my own.

one of the things I think would be useful to discuss is "what to do when shit just don't work". Personally I have a problem when a bunch of stuff happens that I don't expect happen in succession and I just get shaken and lose my grip on anything that's happening. Staying composed can be super hard sometimes.

+

preventing a bad game 1 from sticking with you and snowballing into bad game 2 and 3. There's a good statement I think peanuts said something along the lines of "just because something didn't work doesn't mean it was a bad idea" but there are times where it can be tough to tell whether it was just bad luck that the other guy didn't get hit or it was actually just a bad idea.

Both of these can kinda be fixed by saying to yourself "sometimes things just happen and you die, its fine keep going" but especially right after a loss I have a hard time accepting that and calming down.

Reactions: Fumako and gllt
preventing a bad game 1 from sticking with you and snowballing into bad game 2 and 3. There's a good statement I think peanuts said something along the lines of "just because something didn't work doesn't mean it was a bad idea" but there are times where it can be tough to tell whether it was just bad luck that the other guy didn't get hit or it was actually just a bad idea.
It's easier to tell if you rewatch the set. When something doesn't go right for you in the game it's easy to think at that moment that you're getting unlucky, but when you watch it again later it's easier to see things like "huh, my opponent went low 16 times in a row and they all hit. Maybe I should have... blocked low"

It's easier to tell if you rewatch the set. When something doesn't go right for you in the game it's easy to think at that moment that you're getting unlucky, but when you watch it again later it's easier to see things like "huh, my opponent went low 16 times in a row and they all hit. Maybe I should have... blocked low"

I started to record my own matches and be critic about my performance, then I go to training mode to practice my errors or how to beat a specific situacion then online/ offline.

There´s a huge difference in "I never gonna play like X or Y" to "im not as good at X or Y but if I if a improve my performance I will surpass them."

Happened to me in a bunch of FGs game, SG its not the exception.

I feel like this needs to be pinned somewhere so everyone can see it.