• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The One man Orchestra Pit (Beta thoughts and suggestions)

Sliced_Toast

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Steam
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Sliced_Toast/
Big Band
This is just going to be a simple post for the creators of Big band, just list what you think of him so far, and give a little input. I know most of the creators have in their minds how this guy is going to turn out, but feel free to give them a nice point in the right direction. The best way to do this is to give pros and cons, and list your reasoning for each. Just don't put "His moves hit too hard, the hell." Explain to everyone why you think this way, give some examples or screen shots. Heck if we are lucky we might see this guy finished by the end of November.

Rules
1. Don't be an A## clown
2. See Rule 1
3. Be nice with how you bring things up, I will detonate this thread if it turns into a flame war.
4. Be understanding of other peoples points, not everyone will agree with you
5. Leave the Mad Salt at home, the guy is still not finished so he is just a tad bit strong.
6. Have an awesome time :)

I'm happy I got an armor move I can combo off of for no meter. Maybe only in the corner, but still! Also a super that just plows through everything fullscreen. This is my kind of character. Can't wait to see what else he gets. Even if its just air normals.

As for right now BB seems to be a great addittion to the SG roster!

Big bands moves still are being polished and balanced but ..I'm sure more people will have this concern ..
The taunt mechanic to "charge" his super(s) is a bit confusing as for right now..
It should be a lot more obvious when you are "charging" the taunt ,maybe a visual confirmation of when the taunt is charged , maybe flying notes that indicate when the taunt is ready would be awesome..

I don't know if this is planned but this seems to be the only concern I have with him.

Reactions: Sliced_Toast
As for right now BB seems to be a great addittion to the SG roster!

Big bands moves still are being polished and balanced but ..I'm sure more people will have this concern ..
The taunt mechanic to "charge" his super(s) is a bit confusing as for right now..
It should be a lot more obvious when you are "charging" the taunt ,maybe a visual confirmation of when the taunt is charged , maybe flying notes that indicate when the taunt is ready would be awesome..

I don't know if this is planned but this seems to be the only concern I have with him.

That would be beyond awesome as a visual cue, rock on karlaaldana, this is why I made this thread. :)

That would be beyond awesome as a visual cue, rock on karlaaldana, this is why I made this thread. :)

And since he transforms into a giant bagpipe of sorts ... The visual/audible cue while the taunt is charging could be scottish themed music...forming in total a musical strucutre like this:

1.-While charging the visual and audible could make some sort of intro for the taunt.
2.-Realising the taunt might cause music flying aswell sounding like scottish bigpipe.

Since this not affects gameplay might be a great sistem to have in mind for bigand.

Quite honestly, I don't see anything wrong with him. I haven't been this hype over something since Metroid: Other M's reveal trailer [Which was the same time as Donkey Kong Country Returns, in which I cried in a manly tone.], and the thought of more stuff being added on to a character I feel already complete is just, well, awesome.

Hell, just finish the Bag pipes would be satisfactory for me to throw more money at the Lab Zero team.

If I could have his old jumping punch back in the form of a command normal (down+fierce?) I will love you forever mike

Reactions: maelxich
If I could have his old jumping punch back in the form of a command normal (down+fierce?) I will love you forever mike

what old jumping punch?

what old jumping punch?
It pretty much just makes him do a hop if he was descending, it allowed for some neat crossup setups and I think it would be cool to have back even though I'd be okay if it didn't return

It pretty much just makes him do a hop if he was descending, it allowed for some neat crossup setups and I think it would be cool to have back even though I'd be okay if it didn't return

I could see and understand how that could be a good cross-up counter system. Well I am still giving Mike Z the benefit of the doubt, we still have a little ways to go until big band is "Fully complete" so until then I wait with baited breath.

Current version Big Band's combos seem pretty character specific. Not bad I guess, but I have to experiment a lot just to get something going on some characters. Fortune has been a particular bother for me.

What is the taunt does all around attack (with music notes) and is done by rapidly pushing punches or kicks, similar to Blanka? Haven't thought this completely through yet.

Peacock/BB/Filia feels like it's going to amp my bullshit levels back up to where they were in SDE so I think I'm going to run with it. I'm normally not big on charge characters, but BB isn't really a pure charge character compared to someone like Parasoul since only two of his attacks are charge moves while the rest are quarter circles, so I'm not really finding him to be as much of a pain to wrap my head around as I usually do with them. He definitely seems to thrive most as a second character with an uppercut assist backing him up, so I think running him there with H Brass Knuckle assist will do Peacock a lot of good. SSJ DHCs pretty well off of Argus, too, so that's pretty convenient.

I guess I shall be making my home in the beta again for a while.

I'd also like his old J. MK -> J. MK back. It'd be nice if he could convert off of an instant overhead by himself without an assist.

I'd also like his old J. MK -> J. MK back. It'd be nice if he could convert off of an instant overhead by himself without an assist.
He can.

Once again, j.MK MK j.HP > land 5LP

work perfectly fine.

EDIT: At least on those the second MK will actually hit

I guess I don't like how floaty the second j. Mk is now. I liked it when it was more of a jump during its non-hurtbox phase, like the old punches.

I feel like his combos are way too long. As of now his combos seems even longer than Valentine's or Squigly's.

Maybe we can make his normal deal more damage but also fills up the undizzy meter faster? So he can be the big guy that deals good damage without so many hits?

So, Big Band Lab Monsters, does BB have good synergy in these types of teams:

Big Band/Fortune
Valentine/Big Band/Fortune
Squigly/Big Band/Fortune
Cerebella/Big Band/Fortune
Big Band/Double/Fortune

Does Big Band need an Anti-Air Assist or is his Tambourine move a good reversal?

So, Big Band Lab Monsters, does BB have good synergy in these types of teams:

Big Band/Fortune
Valentine/Big Band/Fortune
Squigly/Big Band/Fortune
Cerebella/Big Band/Fortune
Big Band/Double/Fortune

Does Big Band need an Anti-Air Assist or is his Tambourine move a good reversal?
Tambourine is pretty terrible, it gets beaten pretty often unless the opponent is standing point blank next to you. It loses against IAD/jumpins quite a lot. It's main use is catching pokes I think, good against Titan Knuckle for example.

Pretty much anyone appreciates Big Band's assist, it is incredibly powerful. However I think therein lies BB's problem. He is not currently a very good assistless character. He DOES have options (HP Knuckle seems a faaaaar better reversal/DP substitute than tambourine usually) on defense but his size gets him chewed up by the likes of Fillia and co. He really enjoys Updo, because it hits that space above and in front of him where he struggles quite a bit. He has SOME god air angles, but you need to use the right normal for the right job, j.LP MP HP empty chaining has not been a very effective way to meet others in the air I've noticed. I have much more luck with preemptive j.HK or a quick j.LK. In fact, I have found his jumping punches to not be the most useful tools at neutral at all really.

Because of this, I see him as a character that fits in second with a character in first that REALLY likes one of his assists. This, I believe, makes him naturally kind of a weak partner for Squigly as they are vying for the same spot.

Painwheel and Val would enjoy having him second the most I think, but pretty much anyone else other than Squigly or perhaps Double would not go astray with him in second.

Fillia/Big Band is a team I think would work, with the intention of DHCing out at some point for a kill with that hugely damaging and meter efficient ground super.
X/Big Band/Fillia would be my pick for best shell with Big Band.

Note that he is not complete, subject to change, I'm one person and am probably talking out my ass.

New taunt input is super awkward and disruptive.

but it can be set as an assist now which makes it not that bad

He can just have a different assist input for the taunt like Peacock has if that's such a big deal. It's better than the much higher risk of accidentally breaking out the bagpipes by accident, which is what I was running into tonight.

New Patch as of 11/29/2013

Well it looks like big band's taunt has changed yet again, now we have the best one so far. You hold forward for 90 frames and then hit back and punch. Some people so far think that 90 frames is a long time. However this means several good things.
1.You can now chain this move off of a grab, into a heavy bass knuckle, then use the taunt. It a sure thing now. (Start holding forward the minute big band goes into the bass knuckle, then hit back and punch as soon as it connects, if done correctly the taunt will go off as the enemy is in mid flight.
2. Now that we no longer have to hold down 2 kicks, we are no longer handicapped when it comes to the pressure game.
3. The taunt can now be pulled off from other moves, such as as your in the process of hitting someone with a super powered taunt ultimate of any type..you can just hold forward as your connecting with attacks, then hit back P and taunt again. Its really handy now.
4. Thanks to this opponents actually have to play a bit more cautiously now that the taunt is easier to achieve, however its still with its risks.

I might like it more if it wasn't any single punch button. Maybe one specific punch that you wouldn't necessarily be starting a chain with or two punches at once would make it less prone to misfires. It just feels a bit too sloppy right now.

I might like it more if it wasn't any single punch button. Maybe one specific punch that you wouldn't necessarily be starting a chain with or two punches at once would make it less prone to misfires. It just feels a bit too sloppy right now.

I guess I just must not see that then, nothing really feels that sloppy to me, in honesty if this is his final taunt I would be overjoyed in the end.

I guess I just must not see that then, nothing really feels that sloppy to me, in honesty if this is his final taunt I would be overjoyed in the end.
I had way too many instances of it coming out when I'd go from forward to back to ready a charge while doing a chain in matches, so if this is the final version I'm going to be pretty annoyed since everything felt perfect before.

I think the benefits that the new input brings are worth keeping, but I feel it can be streamlined just a little bit more than it currently is.

EDIT: I think our different experiences might simply boil down to how we're doing our motions differently on my stick and your pad

Last edited:
It would be really nice if his s.HP would make him move forward a bit. It whiffs a lot on crouchers if you hit confirm from a reasonable distance.

I'm also not a fan of all his jumping punches essentially being the same attack but placed differently. I feel like he is missing potential utility from each one being unique. As of now, they are nothing but combofiller.

His anti-air grab feels pretty useless for the time being. It's much too slow and risky to consider using for how very little he gains from it.

It would be really nice if his s.HP would make him move forward a bit. It whiffs a lot on crouchers if you hit confirm from a reasonable distance.

I'm also not a fan of all his jumping punches essentially being the same attack but placed differently. I feel like he is missing potential utility from each one being unique. As of now, they are nothing but combofiller.

His anti-air grab feels pretty useless for the time being. It's much too slow and risky to consider using for how very little he gains from it.
A Train is best used in combos for positioning.

Yeah, two punches would work better for his taunt input. There's less chance of error that way.

It's still way better than holding KK for 3.5 seconds!

I also think the two punches would be better. I would try and back throw and get taunt instead, so while I'm glad it isn't turnaround Punch, I'd love improvements.

The one big problem I just thought of with two punches would be accidentally taunting when you go to backdash. What about two kicks instead?

Reactions: Scrublord
Agreed. Two kicks allows for a unique input while allowing you to still do other things, like backthrows and backdashes.

A Train is best used in combos for positioning.

Couldn't you get the same result with brass knuckle?

i don't get the point of shadow characters

i don't get the point of shadow characters
What is a shadow character? I have never heard that term before.

Anyways parrys are in! They feel pretty good. I'm not that great with them but I can't wait to see what other things people show off. First one the parry Major Surgery on camera gets a cookie.

Edit - Now that I think about it there are way harder things to parry... cat heads, Big Bands air super and who knows what else.