• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The problem with Painwheel

Cellsai

BEEP BOOP BAN
Reaction score
Website
askminette.tumblr.com
Valentine Cerebella
I actually mentioned this in another thread a few days back, but it's annoyed me so much now that I figure I'll make it its own thing :P

Problem 1:
So the basic combo system in the game is Tap Combo > Swipe Up Launcher > Tap Air Combo. That's fine and dandy and it works for everyone in the game... except Painwheel.
For whatever reason, PW has a huge startup on her launcher, so it can never combo after that first Tap Combo. I've tried it on every step of the sequence, but it never seems to be a true combo off any of her normals.
She can combo off her dash and charge attacks, so she can go Dash/Charge > Launch > Air Combo.
I'm not sure if this in intentional, since she's literally the only character with this problem. It's not game breaking since you can work around it, you just have shorter combos with her and have to think about them a little before you use them.

Problem 2:
What the heck is the point of her flight mode? Neither her Flight Combo, or Flight Dash actually combo into anything except instant start up specials and supers.
It goes over some low attacks, but it seems kind of pointless for such a unique character trait.

Problem 3:
Violet Grudge leaves you unsafe.
This is one of her specials where she launches herself forward a bit and does a bunch of hits. However, it doesn't knock down or stagger the opponent, so they recover faster than Painwheel does. With higher level opponents this attack will get you killed if you try to use it.

Anyone else run into these issues with Carol? I really like her, but I constantly feel awkward using her.

Reactions: MightyZug
Double post!

Actually, the more I've been playing with Painwheel's slow launcher, the more I like it! I actually wish more characters were forced to go different combo routes now that I've gotten used to it. Many characters fall into the same default strings over and over, with the only differences being what super they chain on the end. Painwheel actually forces me to think about what I want to do, whether I want air attacks or sweeps. It's a small choice but it breaks up the repetitive fights a bit!

Reactions: MightyZug
@Cellsai We'll have more updates as we get closer to our next update - just wanted to let you know that we are aware of these issues (particularly combo reliability) and will be working to address them. Carol's already been through so much, she deserves better!

Reactions: moisterrific