• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Them's Fightin' Herds

Weeginji

Reaction score
EDIT: Guess I should make this OP a little more up to date, huh?

This is the game coming out of those indie devs who got the Z-Engine from the Skullgirls crowdfund a while back. It's been a long and tough road for them ever since their original My Little Pony based game got C&D'd, but after getting that engine and having Lauren Faust join up on their design team they're back and better than ever with a new name, a new world and new characters. Now they've got an Indiegogo crowdfund going so that they can finally make this thing happen. Check out all the stuff below if you're interested.
ef9ot5yzxfl0blpkhwid.png

Indiegogo: http://igg.me/at/ThemsFightinHerds/x/2509150

The playable cast. Rainbow Dash analogue to be unveiled soon!
LineupColor.png

Here's a few relevant videos.

Since this isn't really an MLP game anymore, and I'm behind on the show, I figured that I'd give this it's own thread.

Personally, I'm more excited for this as an original IP than I was for it as a fangame. There's a lot more that this could potentially become now that it doesn't have to deal with the restrictions of using material copyrighted by other people. There's also the matters of the Z-Engine and Lauren Faust, of course.

I hear that the developers are considering a crowdfund for the game too. I think I'd be willing to bite if they decided to do so.

Last edited:
I already dropped money - a significant amount actually - to get these guys the Z-engine in the first place. But, those elves compel me to donate enough to Mane6 to at least get pre-order keys/beta access...

I'm a little more interested in THIS.
mane6xsg.jpg

I'll donate some bread crumbs and maybe give a front page shoutout as well whenever their KS/IGG campaign opens as the least I can do. They helped us out tremendously during our time of need in our own IGG fundraiser so it's only right we can return the favor.

Here is some free advice as well: Please scope out what other hot KS/IGG campaigns is currently happening before you start yours if possible. Make sure there is no hyped up Mighty Number 9 kind of fundraiser currently going on.

Shantae crowdfunding unfortunately lost out potential funds since Mighty Number 9 was the overwhelming "throw your money" hyped up project at the time. One of the reasons Skullgirls did so well was luckily there was no hyped up big game project fundraiser to compete with. In fact, it was probably the most hyped up project in general during the month at IGG which benefitted them.

Also choose between IGG/KS carefully, each website has their own merits. Spreading the word like wildfire through social media can go a long way as well.

GL Mane6

As I stated on the MLP Thread, I am certainly going to throw some monies their way once the Kickstarter or Indiegogo starts up.

I really hope that, in the inevitable Preview + "why you should give us your money" video, we get at least one new piece of music from RainbowCrash88. It would certainly be possible, as RainbowCrash88 hasn't had anything new posted on his/her channel since the Fighting is Magic Fluttershy's Theme from 11 months ago, so he/she could have something(s?) in wait for the preview video.

I'm gonna be really honest, I only ever had interest in this game because of mlp. I am looking deep inside myself right now and I can't find anything that pulls me to the new version. It sounds shitty, but I just don't care anymore. It's great that we have another indie fighter but I was so hype for so long that this alternative has permanently taken the wind ot of my sails.

Good luck, but I don't think I want to pay for this.

I am looking deep inside myself right now and I can't find anything that pulls me to the new version.
We haven't even seen much yet...

The problem with this entire concept is that it relied on the MLP brand identity. It sounds like a lot of people just wanted teh ultimat poniez fightan gaem, and without the actual ponies bit, what's left? A Z-Engine fighter that stands NO CHANCE IN HELL of being as well tuned or supported as Skullgirls, that's what. You think people are going to come through on the anthro premise alone? Unlikely.

Before, it could've been a popular (if quickly abandoned) fighting game among the adult MLP community, but now? I think you people are underestimating just how little demand there is for this game without the MLP brand name attached to it.

Then again, maybe a successful crowd-funding campaign will make me eat my words.

isnt lauren faust working with them to make a replacement? I can say losing the MLP brand hurts the game, but direct Faust involvement boosts it exponentially.

Reactions: Viro Veteruscy
The problem with this entire concept is that it relied on the MLP brand identity. It sounds like a lot of people just wanted teh ultimat poniez fightan gaem, and without the actual ponies bit, what's left? A Z-Engine fighter that stands NO CHANCE IN HELL of being as well tuned or supported as Skullgirls, that's what. You think people are going to come through on the anthro premise alone? Unlikely.

Anthro? There is no anthro. Everything has four legs. They are personified tho.

Reactions: zarkingphoton
Anthro? There is no anthro. Everything has four legs. They are personified tho.
Anthropomorphism is simply giving non-human things human characteristics, which in this case is human emotion and (presumably) speech.

A Z-Engine fighter that stands NO CHANCE IN HELL of being as well tuned or supported as Skullgirls.
Well, I'm pretty sure Mike is planning on helping them make the game (if he isn't already). I've seen him offer advice and help to other games before for apparently no return (Air Dash Online, Beast's Fury, Street Fighter (though he may have been joking...?), and others he may have been getting paid for). So I'm down for checking it out, I have more of a promise that it'll feel be a good game than most others I try (When's Rumble Pack?). And if that's not enough, it's got Lauren Faust, who's made my childhood more awesome with kick ass cartoons (When's Milky Way & The Galaxy Girls?). Never thought my love of her art/cartoons and love of fighting games would come together.

Last edited:
I have more of a promise that it'll feel be a good game than most others ...

For real.

Even without Mike's help (which they seem to appreciate) I'd seen them make some pretty responsible balance decisions and apply good tuning with the MLP version, like nerfing Rarity's super, Applejack's lasso/bounce, RD's dash attacks and wakeup clouds, etc.

it's got Lauren Faust.

I don't think this can really be understated in terms of art and creative direction, no matter how stupid/great the fighting mechanics turn out to be.

Even without Mike's help (which they seem to appreciate) I'd seen them make some pretty responsible balance decisions and apply good tuning with the MLP version, like nerfing Rarity's super, Applejack's lasso/bounce, RD's dash attacks and wakeup clouds, etc.
I remember Mike also saying that he knew they would be able to use the Z-Engine well, that he trusted them to make something good, or something like that, but could you explain some of this please? I saw all the characters, but I never got too into all the changes and how the game worked. Was waiting for the finished project, but... well... you know. So what exactly were the balance changes they made?

Alrighty, now I'm all set up with the newest Iwannabrawl version of FiM, and awaiting the release of complete RD and Fluttershy this month.

Anyone interested in playing the original FiM?

Alrighty, now I'm all set up with the newest Iwannabrawl version of FiM, and awaiting the release of complete RD and Fluttershy this month.

Anyone interested in playing the original FiM?
*RAISES HAND*

What's Iwannabrawl? And how close to all the content that they made does it have?

*RAISES HAND*

What's Iwannabrawl? And how close to all the content that they made does it have?
Iwannabrawl is someone who is aiming to finish the game and release as close to the original intent of Mane 6's, meaning complete Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy.

http://www.livestream.com/kittyslit...4383&utm_source=lslibrary&utm_medium=ui-thumb

He released a version some months ago that rebalanced the game and has a mostly finished Rainbow Dash, which you can find here: http://squirrelnet.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1

It also includes Telephone, a modified MTSP program used to play online.

Alright, I'm totally down to play that. The latest version is in that second link? That one has Fluttershy in it?

What's that one with Robo Sweetie Bell?

Last edited:
Zidiane said:
Alright, I'm totally down to play that. The latest version is in that second link? That one has Fluttershy in it?

Only a hilariously incomplete one.

The build coming out this month will have her finished version with voice.

Guess I'll probably wait for that one, then.

Iwannabrawl is someone who is aiming to finish the game and release as close to the original intent of Mane 6's, meaning complete Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy.

http://www.livestream.com/kittyslit...4383&utm_source=lslibrary&utm_medium=ui-thumb

He released a version some months ago that rebalanced the game and has a mostly finished Rainbow Dash, which you can find here: http://squirrelnet.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1

It also includes Telephone, a modified MTSP program used to play online.
Probably a silly question, but I don't need to worry about viruses or anything downloading either of the things from squirrelnet, right? I tend to be really paranoid about this sort of thing.

Probably a silly question, but I don't need to worry about viruses or anything downloading either of the things from squirrelnet, right? I tend to be really paranoid about this sort of thing.

Juju, I've downloaded a number of builds from Squirrelnet just to mess around. I haven't had a virus problem yet.

Reactions: juju_for_president

That stare stagger.
The updated animations on RD and Fluttershy are looking good. Can't wait to see the stuff they've done.

Btw, I downloaded the current iwanabrawl version of Fighting is Magic. The game is fantastic fun, and it hasn't destroyed my computer, so thanks to erkicman for bringing the build to my attention.

Reactions: erkicman
Tried the Iwanabrawl version and it works like a charm so far. I also want to see how the project Lauren Faust and the others are working is doing.

Reactions: juju_for_president
Was interesting to see them in motion.

Rainbow Dash is like Painwheel with actual movement options, and Fluttershy is very much like Rachel meets Carl. I'm pretty excited to try this build at the end of the month.

Something needs to be done about that bear.

Painwheel with 8-way dashing.

I dunno. At first I had my reservations about the c-c-c-c-c-combo BEARker, but after seeing it in action I think it's fine. Yeah, the vertical and forward hitboxes are huge, but he doesn't hit behind himself, and that caused a bunch of problems for Fluttershy. On defense, it's like you have one chance to break a combo with him, but if you miss it's time to say good night. In general, I found Fluttershy's offensive and defensive options so limited that I think she needs the bear the way it is. Yes, it's tough to get the opponent in the corner, but once she gets a corner setup with the bear, well...

Sweet, just give me a version that'll work well with my controller and I'll be set.

Did they ever fix the Rarity infinite?

I believe so yes.

If anyone wants to play TE, I'm always up for it.

Might as well link this too.

Am I the only one feeling kind of disappointed?

I mean, I walked into campaign, got blindsided by a right hook from myself at every turn, looked up some videos, discovered the final boss was Zalgojack (In a previous version, I think, they'd better have ditched it by now), and, predictably, threw in the towel. But I gave it another try today, to find the same problems persisting.

FiM:TE drops the player in without any sort of context or explanation. Remember that super-advanced, in-depth tutorial mode that Skullgirls has, that's often praised as one of its greatest qualities? FiM:TE has no tutorial. The AI in story mode is built to be challenging to the developers of the game, and basically destroy anyone that doesn't know exactly what they're doing. While I would appreciate a Story Mode with some challenge factor to it, I'd like to at least get my bearings first. There is no difficulty setting, no "Easy Mode;" the beginner player is stuck fighting an opponent that's too good for them. With no real training place or tutorial available to the player, the learning curve is basically a right angle.

On a more aesthetic note, I was surprised by how...flat, the ponies felt. They really only say things when they win or lose a round, and they all felt like very generic things to say. No character-specific dialogue, no in-fight dialogue...nothing. Feels so weird to have a pony not feel like themselves. I mean, I acknowledge that this is a game about the members of the Mane Cast beating the hell out of each other, meaning acting in-character is harder than normal, but you can at least try, gosh darn it!

And, per the usual for fighting games, calling the Story Mode "Story Mode" is downright insulting to actual stories everywhere, because there is no story.

I best be givin' ma 'onest testimony on why I'm glad Hasbro gave a cease an' desist order to Mane6...

I honestly thought Mane6 couldn't go anywhere with the characters from MLP: Friendship is Magic because they were characters simply fighting each other for inexplicably no reason at all. I'd have honestly written it off as another fan game, not that fan games are bad, but, to me, this would have been a very boring game to me because it seemed to have no compelling story and even the fighting looked dis-compelling to me, because I feel Skullgirls is the actual new standard a fighting game needs to hold up to. I could be nit-picking about how the engine they used was very dated, but I won't because in the end nothing new would've been invested into the characters, and that would have bored me.

I'm glad Hasbro gave Mane6 the cease-and-desist order because I feel it was a blessing in disguise. Mane6 now has the chance to build their own legacy, their own characters, their own story, all which will feel like time well-invested instead of being cooled in the shadows of a much larger corporation, those with a much larger, well established legacy.

Reactions: Bucky Barkley
In not cease-and-desisted-related news, here's an alpaca! She has
1781899_216605508537806_253426257_n.png
YESSS I can't wait until they're done, because it looks great so far.

In not cease-and-desisted-related news, here's an alpaca! She has
1781899_216605508537806_253426257_n.png

I'll fully support both games, but man, I can't wait for the day when we don't have to wait 2 months for a piece of concept art.