• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Things SG got Right

Jason

Not JasonD
Reaction score
Squigly Big Band Cerebella
All this focus on new experimental SG builds has really put a negative edge (heh) on this forum lately, so I thought I'd make a list of some of the things that I think SG got right.

1. Low Execution Requirements - Wide cancel windows and generous input buffers mean that you can spend less time grinding combos in the Training Room and more time playing the game, which is what we all want to do. Even though the more optimized combos are sometimes a little difficult or inconsistent, the flexibility of the combo system means you can always find something that does 'good enough' damage without driving yourself crazy in training mode.

2. No Overpowered Comeback Mechanics - I really hope things like X-Factor don't become a trend in fighting games. Thanks to Mike for not implementing garbage like that just to create artificial 'hype' moments during matches.

3. GGPO Netcode - The only reason I'm actually able to enjoy this game, or any fighting game for that matter, because my local scene is dead.

4. Characters with fluid movement - Good movement is key to keeping fighting games fun.

5. Custom assist choices - Every fighting game that has assists should include this. I have no idea why it wasn't done before.

6. PC Port - The reason I'm able to play this game at all. PC gets neglected by FG developers constantly and its good to have at least one quality developer who puts in the effort to make a PC port

7. Balanced Roster - This game is incredibly well balanced compared to most of the other modern FGs being played right now. Even though there's always room for improvement I can pick any character in the game that I like without feeling handicapped and that is a huge boon for me.

8. Every Move is Useful - With only a couple of exceptions, everything that is in SG is in the game for a reason and every move feels useful. I can't express just how frustrating it is to pick up a character in SF4 and play around with all of their tools only to find that over half of them are worthless crap that you never use.

9. Special and Super Moves that are more then just Combo Tools - Kind of redundant with #8 but this deserves special mention.

10. Universal Defensive Options - So that even a character without a DP or a strong reversal like Squigly or Valentine has options when they're under pressure.

11. Diverse Playstyles - Every character moves differently, attacks differently, combos differently. Every character is a unique experience.

12. And most importantly, a Developer who puts up with our crap and listens to our concerns - It would be a lot easier for Mike to sequester himself in his ivory tower and do whatever he wanted with the game but he doesn't

Compared to the few minor problems that I do have with SG, the good points are overwhelming.

14. Michuru Yamane composed soundtrack.

13. I've played other games that think they have an "art gallery." They don't have an art gallery. Skullgirls has an art gallery.

Agreed. I seen 'art galleries' in various games and even for fighters games like Third Strike: Online Edition, but Skullgirls recent art gallery addition blows all those other ones out of the water in terms of both quantity and quality. It's the little things you can appreciate that can make a difference.

Skullgirls has done most everything right. The fact that people complain about everything all the time is more a reflection of Mike's willingness to respond to criticism than anything about the game itself. If any other company were in charge, complaints about Updo or Fiber Upper being overpowered would probably be met with mocking laughter. Even my own gripes (combo length, minor character changes such as Parasoul bike nerf) would be pretty much unthinkable if the game were made by, like, Capcom or whatever.

It's just the curse of being a responsive developer. Hopefully we can find more of a middle ground instead of having the community blow up at issues that would be completely unremarkable in any other game.

I think skullgirls does most things right, which is why i play the game. Although if i had to pick one thing i would put new ip that supports ggpo at the top of my list.

Though if we have to have numbers:

15. Hitbox viewer

16. Slow motion

17. The training mode in general

18. Pizzarino

? Valentine has some pretty niche/useless moves. Her lvl 2, 3 and 5 don't have much use and her vials aren't massively important for her combo game.

19. Art style

20. Interesting Lore/Backstory

21. Eighty-sixed partnership/livestream (Community stuff)

22. Fanservice (It's there but not overdone or exploitative)

23. Being able to choose your own party size

24. Holding down the start button for a bit so that you don't pause the game by accident

The devs are definitely cool, and down-to-earth. The fact that you can walk up to anyone and have a conversation is insane. When I think of big developers like Capcom or Bethesda or whatever, I only think of them as these faceless entities or by their logos. With Lab Zero you can think of individual people working on the game. They seem more 'human' if you will. It's hard to describe, lol, but it's something I appreciate and really admire.

Last edited:
Reactions: Balder and blufang
? Valentine has some pretty niche/useless moves. Her lvl 2, 3 and 5 don't have much use and her vials aren't massively important for her combo game.
You're playing Val wrong if you think those are useless.

25. The animation looks awesome and full of detail. When I first got the game I'd go into training mode and just watch the animations frame-by-frame. There's so much you miss when it's sped up!

26. The tutorial mode. It's clear, concise, and taught me a shitload of things about blocking. Would be nice to get some sample combos, but I guess with how often the game gets patched a lot of them would be outdated quickly. Speaking of which...

27. I love the frequent patches and balance changes and the like. I don't have to worry about there being five million different re-releases like what happened with Guilty Gear.

Ooh a thread with some positive vibes in it...
I'll add some too

28. Intuitive and hassle-free button config

29. Quick-play / leaderboard shows your wins, but not your losses (thus new people have less fear/punishment for losing)

30. Training mode lobby

31. All-play lobby (only game I know of where everyone in a lobby can chooose to either play or spectate)

32. Separate tournament mode (though off-line only)

33. Manual user-defined GGPO delay

34. The best damn training mode around, fit with everything you'd expect from a training mode as well as save states, multiple recordings, various speed settings, hitbox displays, input displays, hitstun meters and attack data showing otherwise invisible values (i.e. undizzy).

35. Dash button macro

36. No infinites

37. Sound design (people forget this, but it really is done well)

38. HUD that makes it very easy to keep track of meter etc.

39. The game feels great, I'm not sure about anyone else but it feels really good to execute a nice combo, it feels great, hitting your opponent feels great and when you goof up, it feels like your fault. I don't know why but this particularly appeals to me, everything feels fair.

40. Little something for everyone, great gameplay for players, not to mention it's easy to get into once you're pass the bump, great art and lore for us lore nerds in the community.

41. Universal hitstun making combos a non-bitch to come up with/keep consistent.

42. Lack of air tech makes more resets possible, plus restand opens those options too

43. No shitty characters. Nothing soils me more in fighting games than characters that are simply outclassed and online lag that makes me rage fkn hard.

44. Custom assists. Even though assists may as well be 3 per character, it at least lets players discover what assists are best instead of giving a character 1 okay assist and 2 useless ones.

45. Chicken block protection makes low-throw an actual mixup in an airdash game.

Reactions: Mao
Give me cross-platform and I'll never play another game.

Give me cross-platform and I'll never play another game.

Sony doesn't support cross-platform play. Portal 2 was an experiment that sony decided wasn't worth it and they don't let any other games use steamworks.

And cross-play with X-Box requires GFWL. GFWL is terrible.

Its a sad state of affairs but its out of LZ's hands.

About cross-platform - GFWL is being shut down, so even if we liked it, that's out. We'll have to see what future consoles allow...

Netplay that allows me to play without major issues even with having zero hope of getting local games in.

Reactions: Vladislav_Paizis
I know this was covered already, but I like how I'm able to play the character I want without everything being an uphill battle.

46. The best goddang grappler character in any fighting game I've ever played. Most games can't even make a grappling character viable, let alone fun.
46a. Solobellas and the zidiane

Training mode. Hitbox viewer, slow mo, savestates, great recording functions, every other fighter now makes me angry

No brainless chicken blocks

Button dashing

Followed the "throws have significant startup, whiff animations, hard to tech, no throw immunity" model. KOF drives me nuts with the gigantic throw immunity windows and reaction teching.

Hard knockdowns are rare and special instead of shit you end every combo with for your canned oki mixup

Adding a few more things....

48. Great stage backgrounds. For example, how many of you notice that whenever you do a heavy hit, the candleholders in the cathedral stage shake due to the heavyness of the hit? (try it with Filia's st.HK)

49. Great lighting. For example, Filia's j.MP produces its own light source on hit, and illuminates both herself and the opponent. Backgrounds cast shadows on parts of the stage, such as the New Meridian Rooftops.

50. Lots of numbers for training mode. Life (red and yellow), damage, multipliers, etc etc...

51. No DRM outside of Steam (can't forget this one!)

EDIT: Adding to Age's sound design comment:
37a. Multiple audio cues for the same event. For example, Filia says different things whenever you do her hairball ("Let's Go!" "Hairball!" etc...) and even the announcer says different things to start the match ("This is tuna with bacon!" "The gorilla fate is yearning!" etc). I know that other games have done this before (ie Blazblue) but it's still a nice touch

37b. Characters say a signature line when they are chosen in the character select screen. I haven't seen many other fighters employ this technique, though I'm sure this is not the first.

Last edited: