• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Training Diary Thing

Reaction score
Steam
LazyDiablos
PSN
LazyDiablos
Ms. Fortune Eliza
So my neutral game is awful even though i sometimes can tell what moves are coming from the opponent My body can't react or i don't know what move i could've done.
Sometimes when when i can't counter a move or someone plays too aggressively I start to freak out and try to up-back to safety cause i have no other options and then back my self to a corner and get destroyed which depresses the hell out of me

It kind of irritates me that i've been trying so hard to improve my Fortune yet my fukua does so much better than her even though I didn't even have to learn anything to use her.
What I'm gonna try to do to get better is to keep trying to improve my neutral game(First head on then headless) with fortune ,learn the matchups cause i have next to no knowledge of them, Drop Fukua when Eliza comes out and maybe learn a third Character. I know there's a lot more things i could do but these are the main
ones I'm going to focus on.
If any one has any specific tips based on those videos it would be gratefully appreciated

Last edited:
Sorry if it doesn't help, but when I saw the thread title, I knew it was my destiny to post this link : http://xkcd.com/1008/
Edit : as the title changed, the joke is a bit outdated.
original title was : "scrubtown population : me"

Last edited:
It gave me a chuckle and that always helps

Ok so very recently I purchased my first arcade stick and as expected the transition is really hard. I have a really awful time trying to maneuver myself around the stage and i don't know which fingers to use when grabbing, tagging, etc. Which fingers do you guys use when doing these actions? I'm trying out a couple of different combinations of my thumb index and middle finger and i can't figure which one is optimal

Optimal is whichever control scheme feels most comfortable for you.

You didn't comment much on how you hold the actual stick, so I'll recommend the wine glass grip. You hold the stick between your ring and pinky fingers or middle and ring and grip the ball/bat top with the other top fingers.

As for the buttons, mine are set up rectangularly, so I have my thumb on LK, pointer on LP, middle finger on MP, and ring on FP. Thumb takes care of LK and MK, Ring also takes care of HK. Nothing really changes for combinations of buttons (assists, punch supers, tag outs) except for kick supers and snapbacks. Those moves last a long time so I can always go back to the original setup. Here's how the buttons are by the way:

LP MP HP
LK MK HK

Since you're just starting out with a joystick, I think the main thing you need to focus on is memorizing where all the buttons are. Get to a point where your character can do what you want without looking at the stick. Think of it as typing on a keyboard or playing piano in that sense.

Picked up Filia a few days ago. So my team now is Fortune Filia and Cerebella
Recently started using assists for extra damage. I have no idea why it took me so long to do that

Fortune:
-Need to start learning how to convert from air to air
-Figure out why iad j.HP doesn't crossup sometimes
-Learn Headless again
-less reliance on fiber upper
-learn more resets specifically corner resets
-convert from air throw
-using light rekka to end block string

Cerebella
-Learn some corner combos (really want to learn some devil horn combos)
-learn a better combo that starts with mgr
-learn some more resets
-learn a combo from a projectile stagger
-practice the j.LP into j.Hp restand
-learn a burst bait (corner/mid-screen)
-fix execution errors such as run stop instead of diamond drop, excellabella instead of diamond drop, lnl instead of diamond drop, USS instead of diamond drop.
-Learn those tall character loops
-learn a combo that works on big band

Filia
-I have no idea how to play this character
-learn to convert off of throw>gregor, corner throw and air throw
-Learn to convert off of Grogor in general
-learn how to convert off of anti air s.HP
-figure out why j.mp into j.hk doesn't restand some characters in my bnb
-learn a burst bait
-learn how to pressure better
-learn some resets
-know when to Gregor after a successful updo
-it's still awkward using this character muscle memory is still setting in
I'm sure there's a lot more with Filia but I'll focus on these points for now

Eliza
I'm not using her for now but aside from my terrible neutral i still don't understand how the light Osiris to s.LK link works and i can only hit it 30% of the time no matter how much i practice.
Seeing SonicFox Use her though makes me want to go back to her though

General
-I have this fear that once I block a low, the next hit will be an overhead and i stop blocking low
-Teching grabs is still mostly impossible for me
-I need to learn how to get out of corner pressure
-I need to learn how to pressure in the corner
-I still don't know when im supposed to attack
-Need to learn how to learn. getting hit by the same cross over is irritating.
-what the hell do I do against cat heads
-when I transition from blocking low to high I overshoot it and start up backing
-way to man
-I don't know how to use assists
-I air back dash when i mean forward because i'm still trying to block while airdash for some stupid reason
-I need to learn neutral setups
-I still have way too many execution errors. mainly inputting DPs
-My neutral is still ass
-pay more attention to what my opponent is doing
-I'm predictable
-Other things I can't think of at the moment
Gonna post a match vid later to see if i can dissect it

Cerebella
-Learn some corner combos (really want to learn some devil horn combos)
-learn a better combo that starts with mgr
-learn some more resets
-learn a combo from a projectile stagger
-practice the j.LP into j.Hp restand
-learn a burst bait (corner/mid-screen)
-fix execution errors such as run stop instead of diamond drop, excellabella instead of diamond drop, lnl instead of diamond drop, USS instead of diamond drop.
-Learn those tall character loops
-learn a combo that works on big band
I don't know anything about your level of execution with bella so I'm unsure of what difficulty I can propose to you, but here are some stuff to help.

- the best devil horns combo I know (I mean it is somewhat easy, works on every light, can be used even if you doesn't start right against the corner, and is well optimised if you're not looking for overkill) :
C.lk c.mp c.hp
J.hp
(otg) Titan knuckle devil horns (or c.hk titan knuckle if TK feels unreliable)
S.lk c.mk devil horns
S.mp c.hp
J.lp j.hp
S.lp s.mp s.hk copter dynamo
Don't remember the exact damage, I think it's 8.5k.

- resets : what resets do you use and do you know how to run stop reliaby?

- big band combo :
C.lk c.mp c.hp
J.mp j.hk (restand)
J.lk j.mp j.hk
J.lp j.mp j.hk
Then
S.hp pummel horse
C.lk c.mp s.hk copter dynamo
Or if you are close enough to the corner, end with :
S.hk copter dynamo
C.lk c.mp s.hk copter dynamo

Will post more tomorrow, it's getting late for me and I'm typing all this on a cellphone.

Reactions: LazyBakemono
I have no trouble with run stopping
resets that i know:
-(After a restand) c.MP, s.HK/s.HP, Instant Kanchou/RunStop
-c.HP, j.MK, j.HK, OTG, c.LK, c.MK, j.LK, j.LK (should cross over most characters)
-c.MK j.MP, j.MK, MGR
-c.HP j.LP several times until restand, Diamond drop
-c.MK, run stop, airgrab

Corner
c.MK jump over them j.HK
c.MK s.HK Diamond drop

Thanks for the Devil Horn and BB combo They were fairly easy to learn
Are there any resets from the BB combo?

I can learn some moderately difficult things i guess so give me your best shot.

I Fought you a couple of times and i was really impressed with your bella. It Inspired me to learn more bella stuff

*gets back finally on his computer*
*check steam name*
Ow you...okaaay.
So I can get serious with what I propose. Cool.

other stuff about what you were asking for :

- better (although I don't know what combo you use) mgr combos :
midscreen :
I personally suck at dash c.lp conversions, so I'm just gonna stick with stuff that doesn't need it.
mgr c.lk c.mp c.hp (c.lp for painwheel, slight delay before c.hp else may make followup difficult on some lights)
j.lp j.hp
c.lk c.mk
j.mp j.hk
s.hp pummel horse
c.mp s.hp run stop
s.lp s.mp s.hk copter dynamo
universal

Still looking for a good optimized corner combo after mgr or diamond drop on lights, but I didn't find anything well optimized AND relatively easy yet.

- burst bait :
there's a very easy one, you just c.hp j.hp with undizzy full, jump neutral when you do it midscreen, jump back when against the corner, and it will make any burst whiff, gives you huge corner carry and an untechable knockdown if the opponent didn't burst.
other than that, you can do kanchou c.mk c.hk, c.hk will avoid a burst happening on c.mk, but you will be vulnrable if they didn't burst. Being ready to LnL cancel is important when attempting that one.
If you didn't use otg during your combo and you are against the corner, end with c.mp titan knuckle s.lk c.mk. Universal easy as hell burst bait, if they don't burst on s.lk, some characters will get hit by c.mk, which is a second burst bait.

- resets :
you can do c.mk run stop then dash forward or backward to get cross unders or fake cross unders into lows or grabs, or even instant j.hp. Can be avoided with double jumps or airdashes, but c.mk run stop air throw will catch the fuckers who try to do that. Everything works midscreen and in the corner.

- for other stuff, I'm still not very happy of what I find while combo crafting, but you can do some easy poorly optimised stuff I guess :
after a deflector : depends on if you got the counter hit, or if the opponent just forgot to guard it.
no counter hit :
dash jump j.hk
c.mk
j.mp j.hk
s.hp run stop
c.lk c.hp
j.lp j.hp
s.lp s.mp s.hk copter dynamo

no counter hit, close enough to the corner :
dash jump j.hk
c.mk
j.mp j.hk
c.hp
j.lp j.hp
s.lp s.mp copter dynamo
c.lk c.mp s.hk copter dynamo

counter hit : just add a c.mp before c.hp on both versions.

I know better versions exists, but they have some stuff in them I find unecessarily difficult/unreliable for the damage you get, like j.lp j.hp s.mp link.
I usually reset during a deflector combo anyway.

BTW, don't use the big band combo on double or eliza, j.lp will whiff if you're not against the corner.

Reactions: LazyBakemono