• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Steam - Windows Unsynced voice clips

Scezumin

Reaction score
Steam
scezumin
Ms. Fortune Unknown
When playing online, the two players may hear different voice clips before, throughout, and at the end of a match. I would hypothesize that there is simply no random seed agreed upon by both clients during the initial handshake. Perhaps Player 1 can arbitrarily seed it, or maybe it's even possible to seed it off some existing entropy, such as a match start timestamp, as long as such a timestamp exists in the data the clients are exchanging -- they could standardize on whomever has the lower timestamp, for example.

From what I've learned working in games, it's best to root out all non-determinism from your game as dedicatedly as possible, because you never know when it'll contribute to a desync or replay-related bug.

Additionally, I think this would make playing online with your friends more fun, because then when they yell out their characters' catchphrases during moments of triumph, it would actually line up with what you hear, instead of sometimes being a totally different voice line.