• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

(Updated Oct17) We Will Return! Running Squigly Wishlist Thread

Nuuance

Level 51 Pastrymancer
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Steam
Nuuance
Squigly Eliza
Welcome back any & everyone. It's been such a long time, but Skullgirls & all of you are still here. Couldn't be happier. I'm excited because for once, the process to voice what new things you'd like is starting to open up. I want to hear what you all have to say primarily as Squigly Mains. To be clear it's a thread primarily about additions to Squigly be they QoL, property modifications, charge mechanic ideas -- things to update & refresh Squigly in a way you think is good for the game. Any other discussions counter to this can be saved for other threads.

I will be aggregating primary points from discord/etc as well as updating OP with feedback specifically from here as well so we have a running list of pain points & overall things us Squigly players talk about. She isnt a bad character but for a while it's been clear she needs some love in some gaps. keep in mind regardless of comment length, they're things thought to be sorely lacking or forgotten; nothing extra was included just because. Some will value one thing above another, but we all share this game & want as many people to enjoy so keep viewing from various player's perspectives. All I ask. ThankYou so much :)

So what things would you like? Just give your idea & reasoning.
For any unsubstantiated thoughts (including my own), ill put in a separate spoiler.
Don't be shy & again welcome back!

Normals​

- s.mk: Mini Launcher/give anti-air property // thought: not used in combo filler since release. tonney pointed out small hitbox AA change well-recieved. mini launcher gives j.mp use & tmk no one can use s.mp vortex or stancel run under with a small pop up slightly away. not enough time. smaller s.hk, simple enough
- j.mp: hitbox adjusted to fit visually. more effective & reach further // thoughts: not used for defense, hovering, or combos. j.lk or j.lp usually outclass. Its a tricky move because visually looks so much better (especially flame extending out).

Specials​

- uncharged tremolo: faster useable startup/recovery, tracking // thought: no reason to use over dp to create space or reach nearby opponent (definitely not in neutral). c.hp not being a finicky link would be nice especially. frankly great in corner for s.hp link but outside that, its a whole unused k-special. Tracking would would round out her anti-zone/semi-zone kit without needing to charge (since raw chord is quite unsafe).
- charged tremolo: decently faster startup/recovery // thought: rarely used, typically gameplay is a little fast for this...it's not a terrible move, but again, its never been great & converting requires meter. Pushing opponent back/to corner is wonderful seeing that its the only move doing that since squigly needs space, but its not used tactically in that way either since she usually ends up where she started if opponent hasnt already started dashing forward; just being faster would cement her only real distanced special outside of chord.
- M Draugen Punch: Annie M Dp treatment w/lower knockback & better recovery // thought: M Strength for many is kind of a lost move. Here it's put to use same way most dp strengths are
- Charged Liver Mortis: Even on block (not positive) // thought: doesnt have any safe p-charge specials. lowkey but important aspect. Dont think it should be positive, but just not negative. Important to note when used in neutral, only way to convert outside corner use is meter; so use isnt a freebie in any capacity. One or two people mentioned making sliding knockdown but i understand that mightve been relegated to arpeggio for a reason to spread out properties on moves which is more than fair. Safe on block (not positive) at least justifies any use outside of combo material or centerstage because right now she cant use any of her kit *normally* w/no frills.

Supers​

- Daisy: DHC window extended to coffin drop // thought: Everyone can use a DHC normally except squigly...no good reason for not & SBO isn't always compatible or just misses. SBO damage already is lower than normal for a super.
- SBO: Small but noticeable damage increase // thought: Mostly used for the utility, but in general for pixel situations it's always short compared to others
- level 5: Visual Update // thought: honestly just a visual update matching sfvs raging demon or whatevers feasible would rock. Feel great, look great.

Charges​

- uncharged specials: save charge, use uncharged specials // thought: Playing as squigly right now is a bit 2-dimensional in that most players will not use seria specials unless they have charge & as of right now, you are hard pressed to see squiglys use any specials in neutral outside Centerstage. Even using raw charged chord, theres a minority. It's no different than beowulf choosing to use or not use hype; Squigly is the Original resource character, why cant we choose? She's about using a myriad of tools in various and unique situations hence niche moveset - yet squiglys feel forced to not use or adapt them. if you can chord normally, you should be able to save k charge, as limited as it already is. Moves either scale or give opponent turn back or need meter to convert. noted as on schedule long while ago. Many squigs been asking for this. qcb to use, holding doesnt charge obviously
- Benefit to K-charge: Passive benefit, in recent year/s an extra air dash been brought up for a while now // thought: Theres simply no reason to charge & before dragons breath giving player better choice-based gameplay & expression/creativity.

Other​

- resource indicators: definitely needed. shows partial charge as well
- keep stage 2 on chargeless seria stancels // thought: outside of jump loops (scaling), required for most strings so definitely nice qol tonney noticed.
- tag-in: slightly faster startup/recovery & maintains distance in front of player // thought: Squigs tag-in isn't the easiest, thats fine. But when trying to plan, it shouldnt be harder to combo into after a big move or ground bounce than doubles. Let alone tagging after a vanilla sliding knockdown being tough. Regulated behaviour & pathing would help greatly not to mention help for many on incoming. a nightmare for sure. being a glue character, tag-in shouldnt be so hard
- Charged Assist Specials: Uses charged special, charges if not already. // thought: Pretty much other characters like peacock & beo have 2-tiered assist specials. Takes commitment & strategy to use since you cant just throw them out. Longtime ask. in SDE days, people used various specials but now meta makes it hard to justify anything besides dragnbite or h normals. She has 5 entire other specials...theres many other characters with a better selection & annie/umbrella assists are looking really good right now. Lets get back to being that one team character

Last edited:
Reactions: Liam

nedz1926

Fighting games enthusiast
Reaction score
Eliza Parasoul Filia
I'm new here and I play on Nintendo switch, it would be possible a section for switch players? :)

Nuuance

Level 51 Pastrymancer
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Steam
Nuuance
Squigly Eliza
I'm new here and I play on Nintendo switch, it would be possible a section for switch players? :)
probably in a different section of the forums, this is about squigly changes

speaking of changes, DHC with daisy working would be cool & something to refresh charges in some way. I definitely think they need a little update for k charges having a decent passive ability.

also, the feature of using uncharged specials to save charges I still think is something to look at as there was actual interest despite reaction of a couple. The same functions are available now with assists and we haven’t seen abuse of sliding knockdowns with squigly at any point in the meta. And chord > combo > arpeggio I get the feeling doesn’t bypass anything optimal rn because of IPS/undizzy & also you still expend a charge either way after using. Her other specials can’t combo into without assists or highly scale, same way as now. I’m sure a lab monster could figure out a meter less bnb using chord > uncharged livermortis for around 6.5k, but in my testing with IPS/undizzy, you’re not going any higher. People can already do it now but its not used. Eliza players don’t even really bother w/s.hk knockdowns as gameplan. Double & beo are the main ones who are KD royalty.

biggest standout would be using uncharged livermortis when you want, which can be grabbed, up-backed & generally isn’t that ‘tricky’ as I’ve been testing it out & it’s not that magical (people don’t even use it now).

So yeah, I do think it’s worth holding onto as something to try. She gets more flexibility, could definitely use normal sing more along with her specials in neutral more & becomes more complete overall. But yeah in general you’re not cheating out more damage or some tactic changing the way people engage her.

—————
edit: also squigly having her DP work like Annie, different heights, DP effects would be nice. Like lp having shorter recovery hitting once, medium, twice

Last edited:
Reactions: nedz1926

KTFS

Reaction score
Steam
ktfsktfs
Valentine Squigly Beowulf
An insane buff would be letting her charged stance cancel another charged special move
like livermortis(charged)-->236KK to stance cancel (the cancel should probably use up the K charge as well)
This would be pretty OP even if you put a bunch of restriction on it

iControl

Blub-Blub-Blub-Blub... limited reached
Reaction score
Steam
iControl
Valentine Cerebella Double
I would like something to indicate if she has a charge or not in neutral. Maybe keep Leviathan head on fire like at the end of getting a punch charge or having a purple highlight around her body or something. My reasoning would be it would be nice to not second guess if you or your opponent has a charge in neutral while there's a lot of other things to worry about. This could help improve reacting to squilgys unblockable setups and help squilgy players combo routing with out going for a suboptimal route because they have to second guess whether or not they have charge.

Reactions: Nyomincia

Liam

. . .
Hidden Variable
Administrator
Reaction score
Unknown Unknown Unknown
the liam from 5 years ago would have asked for the spread gun, so

give squigly the spread gun from contra

fayestra

Reaction score
Steam
https://steamcommunity.com/id/fayestra/
Squigly
uncharged tremolo being low doesnt seem all that useful since squigly already has plenty of good low moves that can be stance cancelled for frame advantage and be less vulnerable on whiff, so in a vacuum tremolo would be much better but would be outclassed by squigly's other pressure options.

imo having both versions track to the opponent would be a cooler change, charged tremolo is already a p niche tool and needs charged sing into sbo to convert from fullscreen, so having it be more readily available wouldnt be super game changing but would give a bit more flexibility in using sing and could open up interesting assist usage without it being exclusive to the proposed charged assist idea. itd give squigly a longer range assist option to work both for zoning and counter zoning. faster recovery would definitely help a lot too, likely with blockstun/blockstop decreasing somewhat.

Nuuance

Level 51 Pastrymancer
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Steam
Nuuance
Squigly Eliza
uncharged tremolo being low doesnt seem all that useful since squigly already has plenty of good low moves that can be stance cancelled for frame advantage and be less vulnerable on whiff, so in a vacuum tremolo would be much better but would be outclassed by squigly's other pressure options.

imo having both versions track to the opponent would be a cooler change, charged tremolo is already a p niche tool and needs charged sing into sbo to convert from fullscreen, so having it be more readily available wouldnt be super game changing but would give a bit more flexibility in using sing and could open up interesting assist usage without it being exclusive to the proposed charged assist idea. itd give squigly a longer range assist option to work both for zoning and counter zoning. faster recovery would definitely help a lot too, likely with blockstun/blockstop decreasing somewhat.
True I didn’t really think about it that way with tracking. Couple people on main cord said same thing but genuinely forgot, Ill update the thing. Being a little faster & more flexible would be refreshing.