• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Using a joystick?

Envoy

Reaction score
hi, I'm kinda new to fighting games, been playing skullgirls with a keyboard and I see people recommending arcade sticks. anyway there isn't a large fighting game community where I live and arcade sticks are rarely sold, only found some very expensive ones. also I'm concerned about not being able to use it for anything else. would a proper joystick - like the thrustmaster t 16000m - be a good choice?
thanks!

I think the way helicopter joysticks interact with the computer is more akin to a mouse rather than directional buttons.

Maybe there's a way to set it up like a joystick but I think buying a proper arcade stick and shipping it to you would be a lot better of a choice.
Also most of those helicopter joysticks don't work on PS3, which is the tournament standard system/console.

Also if you don't want to use a stick, you can also check out
http://www.hitboxarcade.com/

This site sells stick-less arcade sticks. It's similar to a keyboard but much better.

Edit: Also a lot of top players and even the best players just use PS3/PS4 controllers.
Those are pretty easy to get your hands on, and they work for PS3 and PC.

Reactions: Envoy
thanks! I'll look around a bit more to see if I can find something nice. I love sticks in fact, it's just that I had a big joystick as a kid and it kinda makes me nostalgic I guess, but it'd probably be a bit clunky for fighting games.. though big joysticks ought to be similar in how they output data to a controller knob since both output magnitude as well as direction

You can still get some pretty big joysticks tops though even for arcade sticks.
Red-Bat-top-joystick-8-Buttons.jpg