• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Valentine vs Peacock Matchup Advice

cloudKing211

King of White Puffs
Reaction score
Steam
akiraxion
PSN
cloudKing211
Valentine Unknown Double
Hello. I've just been wondering how other vals approach this matchup and if there's anything particularly useful against her zoning that val has. I run team Duck and am essentially asking for neutral game advice. Thanks in advance

One thing I do that works, but is just as easily blocked and punished is TK bypass into scalpels, if ya do it at the right time during her pattern, you'll evade every single bullet and hit her right in the hat!

Also, your usual superdoublejumpdash works well as val gets a lot of height. You need to learn when its safe to jump though, and that's different depending on their attack pattern.
Keep blocking the projectiles, dont try and be cool to avoid neglectable chip damage, its what peacocks do. Wait for that crucial teleport thats going to happen eventually and punish it accordingly. Remember that peacock cannot call an item drop when she's going to teleport, so again, you can see that by their pattern. If you see 2 georges but no item drops, prepare for teleport.
With Vals long jHK air combos, you can stay in the air when theres georges on the ground that you'd get hit by. Or you go all FrAcTaL on this shit and use it to do some stylish stuff.

To learn patterns, it's probably best to just try them in quickmatch with peacock yourself and see how people deal with it.
Also use your assists. I dont have any since solo, so I cant really say much about that, sorry :>

... Duck has tons and tons of val versus peacock vids up. He just uploaded a first to one hundred versus cisco kid about a week ago. Look to duck for inspiration, his play will show you more in ten minutes than a thread 10 pages long.

dash + block ground patterns.

really dash + block air patterns.

jump + airdash up and over any horizontal assists.

throw dead crosses from good positions to fuck with her.

always remember MP-Bang loses to throws, LP-Bang loses to hits. LP-Bang is pretty rare, but some peacocks use it.

when you get her to a corner, watch for her to go for bad reversals and be ready to jump backwards and jLK/jHP crossup her for teleporting out. on hit, hey combo her back to the corner. on block, go for tic stuff or call bomber to set up more pressure. just be mindful of her assist options.

bypass > scalpels has never really been that useful to me. i know vals swear by it, just never really got much out of it unless it was bomber + air bypass and they got their assist stuffed.

Oh, and if things didn't work out your way with Val, remember that M-Airball > ADC jLK/jMP/jHK is really really good for getting over the space covered by ground bombs, sHP, and H-Bangs. If you get in once with Filia and play your mixups right, you might as well throw Peacock into a woodchipper.

MP Bang loses to doublejump. If you're eating MP Bang all day, stop brainlessly IAD j.HP/j.MPing, get ontop of peacock and doublejump out of MP Bang's range, and come down ontop of peacock to whiff punish.

Super jump, Doublejump, Airdash j.MK over all of her zoning options, Shuriken when you're close enough to stop your air trajectory and come down with a normal or blocking an updo or something.

Ground scalpels beats all of her grounded zoning specials, and if she cancels into argus on reaction, scalpels will trade and knock peacock down. DO NOT use scalpels versus her s.HP, since she will "BADABOOM" and teleport behind you for a full combo. Sometimes you can just play "punish with scalpels: the matchup" if you can find a way to gain enough meter.

The entire matchup is "get in and you win", so you only need to find a way to get in and discourage ways that Peacock keeps you out, then you run reset hell on peacock once in.