• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Vanishing Meter

Darlos9D

Reaction score
Steam
Darlos
PSN
Darlos9D
XBL
Darlos9D
Cerebella Painwheel
So, today I saw some super meter just straight up go away for no reason. It happens during Cerecopter in this video:

Slow motion version. You can see it happen at hit #24 at 1:38:

I really have no idea how to recreate this outside of this combo. Obviously there's some interactions and triggers that I'm not identifying, because Cerecopter by itself doesn't always do this, even during some other combos.

I don't even know if this is really exclusive to Cerecopter or Cerebella, or if its the symptom of some greater issue involving combos and meter in general. If the latter is the case, then that's pretty bad if we're just randomly losing bits of meter here and there.

Last edited:
Im not seeing a decrease in meter on either character. could you better explain what im supposed to be looking at?

I'm not seeing it either, but im not as familiar with Cerabella to know how much Ceracopter is suppose to gain but from what I can tell it doesn't vanish it just stops for one hit on Ceracopter but i do not know if that normal or not

Watch closely at Cerebella's super meter when hit 24 happens in the second video. It visibly drops a bit.

I'm not the only person who can see it, that I've shown it to. Be sure to turn the quality up. I know if stuff is too blurry it's just a mess and you can't tell.

Yeah I can see it on the slow-mo video. I wonder if the meter is glitched and doesn't show it properly or if Cerecopter has negative meter gain in that spot.

Yeah I can see it on the slow-mo video. I wonder if the meter is glitched and doesn't show it properly or if Cerecopter has negative meter gain in that spot.
Yeah, I noticed that the couple of hits right before that one don't seem to increase the meter at all. I could just be a glitchy hud, rather than the actual meter amount being wrong.

Also its not just cerecopter having negative gain there, because if you use it by itself it gains meter just fine. It's something to do with whatever came before it in the combo.

Oh yeeeaaah I can see it. During the Cerecopter it goes down a tiny bit and just jumps right back up. I'm no programmer but I'm guessing it might be a bug that occurs because of how fast the Cerecopter hits during a combo. But it's nothing to be worried over because by the time the move ends you still have more tension meter than when you started. Probably the same amount that Lab Zero intends for you to have. It is worth bringing to their attention though.

Oh ok I see it now. Its only visible if you fullscreen it but the meter does drop a little bit. If it werent for that meter loss that combo could probably build a single bar at the very last second.

Yeah, I noticed that the couple of hits right before that one don't seem to increase the meter at all. I could just be a glitchy hud, rather than the actual meter amount being wrong.

Also its not just cerecopter having negative gain there, because if you use it by itself it gains meter just fine. It's something to do with whatever came before it in the combo.
This wouldnt be the first time that hit stun managed to fuck up something following it. Not sure if it ever got fixed but i remember finding that if you time squigly's daisy pusher just right after a dropped combo, it would skip the animation of the opponent flying upwards and then back down into the grave. They just disappeared into it.

Oh ok I see it now. Its only visible if you fullscreen it but the meter does drop a little bit. If it werent for that meter loss that combo could probably build a single bar at the very last second.
Yeah that's what I'm salty about, haha. That's precisely what I was trying to get to happen. Then I stared at the meter while cerecopter was happening once, and I noticed the meter was moving very strangely.

If it werent for that meter loss that combo could probably build a single bar at the very last second.
Oh, well if that's really the case then that is an important thing to fix.

You should send an email to Mike Z Darlos, or at least message him here on SkullHeart.

Oh, well if that's really the case then that is an important thing to fix.

You should send an email to Mike Z Darlos, or at least message him here on SkullHeart.
Im not really sure if it wouldve though. It couldve pulled some magix pixel stuff and just barely not been enough to build a bar. But if it actually does build it then it could be really good for bella players.

Im not really sure if it wouldve though. It couldve pulled some magix pixel stuff and just barely not been enough to build a bar. But if it actually does build it then it could be really good for bella players.
What I'm really afraid of is that this could be a more general issue, and not just some cerecopter thing. What if we've been randomly losing slivers of meter this whole time, and not been noticing? It's such a small thing that its reasonable that it wouldn't have been noticed until now.

It might not be that dramatic, but the possibility is there, and that's what I'm worried about.

I'll send Mike a message I suppose.

Reactions: Denizen
FYI, it's visual only, and it has to do with how the super meters draw themselves. If you gain less than 1/100th of a meter at certain points it'll do this.
I mean, I'll see if I can fix it, but you're not losing any meter (tested by displaying your meter value, which I guess I could add to training mode).
PW can do this too, with a normal, that always gives the same amount of meter.

Reactions: Shooon and Denizen
FYI, it's visual only, and it has to do with how the super meters draw themselves. If you gain less than 1/100th of a meter at certain points it'll do this.
I mean, I'll see if I can fix it, but you're not losing any meter (tested by displaying your meter value, which I guess I could add to training mode).
PW can do this too, with a normal, that always gives the same amount of meter.
Well, that's a relief. Still, it's not a thing you'd expect to see. I'm not 100% on how that could happen. Like, I get how the meter might just not look like its increasing if the meter gain amount is small, but I don't understand how it'd actually look like it was dropping.

At any rate: my work here is done.