• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Walking on Water

GingerJesus

Reaction score
Steam
knewkirk
PSN
DPKiel
Filia Peacock Cerebella
Just found this section of the boards and figured this might help me keep track of my random thoughts about this game.

First off, background if anyone does actually read this and think they can help me achieve my miracle of actually getting good at fighting games. I've grown up playing fighters, sadly it wasn't until a few years ago I found the competitive scene and started training to win. When I say grown up with fighters, I mean that Street Fighter was just hitting SNES when I was 8 and just really getting into video games. I had two older brothers that were all over the gaming scene, even for the tiny town we lived in. So I've spent my life in arcades, searching for fighting games to play, always losing, but still having fun. When I finally learned about hit boxes and frames it was like opening your eyes for the first time. It was like I was 8 years old again trying to understand what a QCF was. Ugh, enough rambling, really started training on UMvC3 and have moved to Skullgirls. Been a hard core fan since before the game came out. Had a friend show it to me and once I saw Peacock it was over, this game is da bess.

Got the game, figured Filia would be a good starting point as I was thinking about putting her on my team as anchor with Peacock and Bella. As a PS3 player I'm just now learning my Squigly. I've got some good damage bnb's with and without charges, but they are off of divekick and c.LK. I'm currently thinking about running Pea(LKgeorge)Squigly(centerstage)Filia(HKhairball) but if you're reading this and have any suggestions, I'll be happy to think about them.

Things I need to work on:
Throw combos for all my characters(grounded and air)
New Filia combo.*
Peacock bomb string situational awareness.
Getting better internet/my pc fixed so I don't have to be a lab rat.
Resets! Resets! Resets!

*I've found the notation for Duckators Filia combo and it has three or four reset points that I can see, but holy crap is it the hardest execution combo I think I've ever tried to make a bnb. I'm currently working on learning each section/chain. I've always wanted to build a combo using the c.MP launcher but never put the time into it/I'm not at that level. The way that he uses that to keep the characters low, air dash cancels to get better damage(it is a little low), and using a TK HKairball after a c.MP launch to get the most advantage out of the one dash cancel. UGH! It's so sexy.

c.LK, MK, HP,
j.HK, adc, j.LP, j.MP, j.HK(restand),
c.MP,
j.MK, adc, j.Lk, j.MP,
LK, c.MP,
(tiger knee)HK air Hairball, dash cancel,
LPLP, LK, MP, c.MK, c.HP/HK, HK Hairball<--(replace this with qcf.K after c.HP for reset/burstbait)
(just in case this gets deleted off of my gf's laptop.)

After looking over that for a min and making a note, I see this as being a very American reset friendly combo. "OH NO! I dropped my combo but dashed under? RESET! Yeah, so, I'm working on that and some Squigly stuff. Sadly I'm a lonely lab rat. I have a few friends that play, one better one worse than me, but I don't see them more than once a month. New goal, find more people to play!

Haven't been able to play for a few days now, getting really annoyed. Gonna watch match footage and try and study up on some things. I have a good understanding of higher level play, meta and what not, but when I'm actually in a match it all goes out of my head and I end up back in my scrub mindset of spamming attacks. I try and have a game plan, at least an idea of how I think the fight might go and what types of situations to watch out for, but I can't put it into action. I guess I need to finish reading the footsies handbook thing. It's just so frustrating to have been playing fighting games literally my whole life and still suck as bad as I do. If anyone happens on this and thinks they can help, hit me up on PSN: DPKiel. My net is slow though, looking to change that now that I have a job.

Well, it's one thing to understand the theory and it's another thing to actually apply the theory to improve your own game. You have to actively be looking for the things you are doing wrong in a match, coming up with solutions to these mistakes and then experimenting with these solutions in a real match.

You should take a small break from learning the theory. It's better to focus on learning to apply what you've learned, 1 lesson at a time is preferable.

After taking some much needed time off, I've come back to harness the power of jazz. I've been using Pea Band for the last week and I love him. My overall game has stepped up. I managed to take two matches off a Japanese player today after he beat me two. I've been reading the footsies guide and sirlins guide and trying to apply everything to my matches. Just using the first lesson of the footsies guide has won me so many more matches against weaker players.

Found someone in my town better than me to practice with too.

Finally got some online matches in on a good connection. Won my share but I got to play Ciscokid and didn't get destroyed, so I'm happy.

Finally got some online matches in on a good connection. Won my share but I got to play Ciscokid and didn't get destroyed, so I'm happy.
You beat Ciscokid? You are Jesus!