• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

What to learn, in wich order and how?

stronzolo

Reaction score
Steam
stronzolo
Robo Fortune
Hello everyone.
As a beginner in fighting games i'm simply baffled by the sheer amount of "learning materials" out there, and my biggest issue has been trying to understand waht should i learn first.
I've already played the tutorial twice and i learned a bit of the general fighting games glossary, so i'll ask you: what are the things i should focus on first?
Sorry for the bad english :P

My advice for starting:

1. Learn a BnB combo for each of your characters. Doesn't have to be a great combo, just something simple that you are comfortable with
2. Learn how to convert into a combo from any hit. Learn how to combo off normal ground-to-ground hit, air-to-ground, Grabs, Air-to-air hit, Air grab, Raw super, etc. This way, when you do land a hit you can capitalize off of it.

Thank you, I've already picked up a bnb for Robo F. to learn (so many buttons to press Q_Q) but I think I'm in need to focus on more basic concepts like: what should i do in order to improve my neutral game and being able to reliably hit my opponent

if you're having issues keeping track of your buttons (I know I am) try mastering each combo phase individually, then when you have that down pat add on the next phase until you mastered that, rinse and repeat.

Thank you, I've already picked up a bnb for Robo F. to learn (so many buttons to press Q_Q) but I think I'm in need to focus on more basic concepts like: what should i do in order to improve my neutral game and being able to reliably hit my opponent

This will really come with experience over practice. Sure you could learn all the tech a character has but its not going to compare to experience against real players and their individual tactics

I'm in a very similar position and my approach has been to mix up time in training with time in versus. I got my first combo down pretty well but then went into a versus match and found that I was panicking so much that I couldn't get it off! I reckon the stuff that you practice in training doesn't actually help unless you also put some time into doing the same thing on real people.