• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Which damage ratio for Combo notation?

IsaVulpes

Just Throw
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Ms. Fortune Filia Double
Yo,

Everyone uses 1.0 to write down their damage. 7500 meterless this, 11k for 1 bar that.
*HOWEVER*, is this the best way to do it?
It came naturally because 1.0 obviously looks like the default choice. But is it?

1.0 Ratio is used for: 1v1, 2v2, 3v1, 3v2
1.3 Ratio is used for: 2v1, 2v3, 3v3
1.6 Ratio is used for: 1v2, 1v3

Now, 1.0 has the most (well, actually shared because 1.3 is used by both teams in 3v3 so it's 4 teams too) uses, and the most basic use (1v1).
However, I'd say that 1.3 is the actual default choice due to being the Damage Ratio for 3v3 - 'the way the game should be played'*

Short story shorter: Am I being cray or should we switch from typing out damage values in 1.0 to making 1.3 the default?
Same thing for health, people say that an SG char has 14300 life, but I'd rather call it 16445 because, again, that's the 3v3 value.

IMO 3v3 is the 'default' team size, and as such should be the default for damage / life / whatever notation. Opinions?

* I can already see people fuming at this

E: For base examples:
Meterless damage is now 9500/16445 instead of 7500/14300;
Max metered damage is now ~15k instead of ~11.5k (I think? I don't do damage~)
The Para combo I do atm deals 8938 (54%) rather than 6869 (48%)

Last edited:
I'm down for w/e as long as the combos are practical
chansub-global-emoticon-21e708123d6a896d-21x30.png

I'll probably end up writing how much damage a combo does in the description of my videos for 1.3 as well as 1.0. What does a ton of damage on double in 2v2 kills her in 2v3 and that's pretty good to know etc etc

I'd like to stick with writing stuff down as 1.0 for the sake of people not having to ask you what ratio the damage is on if people decided to start changing it. I always personally make note of how much damage stuff would do in different ratios.

Reactions: Icky and mcpeanuts
Good question, but the answer is simple:

1. Not everyone uses 3v3.
2. MANY players use duo.
3. 1.0 damage is the lowest damage modifier, and when knowing that you ALWAYS know that your combo is going to do AT LEAST that much damage.

So 1.0 is still the best overall choice.

But like I said, it's a good point to make. Since 3v3 is one of the most played ratios. It serves both teams in trio, and in duo versus trio it serves the duo team.

My answer because of the reasons listed above is to keep it default 1.0 but if the maker of the combo wants to have 1.3 damage as well, to be concise, then they should also list 1.3 damage ALONG WITH 1.0 damage.

Reactions: Icky
I started writing a post with my opinion on this, but what I think is the best ratio to describe a combo doesn't really matter - what matters is that it's as universally understood as possible so that (like Remikz said) people don't need to keep asking what ratio the values are for.

I find it odd how 1.3 is being used in 3v3 in the first place, seeing how ratios are there to balance the health and damage of differently sized teams. Round time reasons, I reckon.

I find it odd how 1.3 is being used in 3v3 in the first place, seeing how ratios are there to balance the health and damage of differently sized teams. Round time reasons, I reckon.
Yes, that is exactly the reason. 3v3 at 1.0 would take ages.

Its easier to do the math going from 1 to 1.3 and 1.6. I don't want to divide, and going from 1.3 to 1.6 would make the ratio for conversion needlessly complicated. There is no reason to change the entire damage notation tradition if you can just convert in your head, or with 2 seconds on a calculator. Also, commonness of team size doesn't factor into my reasons at all.

Converting to 1 would mean multiplying by 10/13, and converting to 1.6 would mean multiplying by 16/13. Needless complication.

Last edited:
Please no. You'd be opening a can of worms for new players trying to grasp combo damage of stuff that's been found over the last year.

Also yes you cray.

However, I'd say that 1.3 is the actual default choice due to being the Damage Ratio for 3v3 - 'the way the game should be played'*
The problem is that that hasn't even come close to being actualized in real play. Even if it did become actualized, there's no guarantee that things would remain that way forever due to possible balance updates, new characters, and so on.

The #1 most important thing is that we have a consistent standard, and that's what we have right now.

Reactions: IsaVulpes