• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Which restrictor gate should I use?

tanz700

Reaction score
Steam
SeriousBusiness
Valentine Eliza Double
I recently bought an eightarc ebony and was think of replacing the square gate with a sanwa octo gate.

After doing research it seems that it's really personal preference but I would like some more opinions.

My main issue is when playing as Eliza. I can't consistently do her dragon punch and was wondering if this may help? This is my first fighting game so I am a newbie, but the DP motion does feel a bit awkward on the square gate.

it probably won't help you for dps, since an octo gate makes hitting the diagonal harder actually. if you're not getting dps in skullgirls with a square gate, you just haven't practiced the motion hard enough.

the octo gates main benefit are the notches for the cardinals which help with not slipping into a diagonal while blockin/chargin

you still might prefer it to the regular gate, so if you're willing to spend the $10 or whatever to try, go ahead

maybe grab the bigger actuator, that might help if you're missing down or forward in your dps, but like i said above, you probably just have to get better at the motion

I use octogate and prefer it very much to square gate for any fighting game. I say buy one (they're only a few dollars), try it for a week or two and switch back if you don't like it.

DP motions are pretty strict in SG compared to recent capcom fighters so you might just need to practice that motion until you get used to it.

having played with an octogate for four months then switching to a squaregate;

I find blocking easier on octogate.
I find DP's easier on squaregate.
I find 360's easier on octogate.
I find charge stuff easier on octogate (so the opposite of everyone else).

However I still prefer squaregate now. I know a lot of people will shoot down the octogate but it really does click with some people

Stop riding the stick on the gate.

Its all preference, it might help. I think you should just practice the motion regularly though.

Thanks for the input. I went ahead and bought the octogate to test out. Most of my friends use the square and are fine with it. It's probably just a matter of practice as most of you said but I'll see how the octo feels.

Stop riding the stick on the gate.

Its all preference, it might help. I think you should just practice the motion regularly though.
Reviving the thread to ask why you don't want to ride the gate. Is it bad for the stick and gate or what?

Reviving the thread to ask why you don't want to ride the gate. Is it bad for the stick and gate or what?
It takes longer to perform inputs. It isn't really that bad if you do it IMO, but it can become a bit of a bad habit.