• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Who's running the canopy kingdom?

HomeBurger

Reaction score
Steam
[O_{2}Ws]Adam
Valentine Fukua Double
Queen Renoir was the last skull girl, is dead. The king is dead. Parasoul is the crown princess, and old enough to lead the black egrets. If the kingdoms were united because both armies allied with the king, I'd guess that the monarchy is actually in charge, unlike England's government. So do we know who's actually running the canopy kingdom?
(Apologies if this is a dumb question)

probably King Renoir

1. King Renoir isn't dead, he's off somewhere due to circumstances from the war, at least I think that's the case.

2. The 3 Kingdoms involved in the Grand War didn't unite, they agreed to a truce to fight Skullgirl Nancy Renoir.

3. Parasoul is likely in charge of the kingdom, she's old enough and she's a strong leader so I don't see why not.

But there's a problem here.
If Parasoul is in charge she's a Queen, not a princess.

Reactions: HomeBurger
But there's a problem here.
If Parasoul is in charge she's a Queen, not a princess.
I thought that One only earns the title of King or Queen upon Marriage.
If that's not the case then maybe Parasoul prefers to be called Princess for personal reasons.

Maybe who cares, it's a video game.

King Renoir isn't dead.

Parasoul won't be Queen until he dies/abdicates, even though she's running everything at the moment with the King MIA.

So on the wiki it says King Renoir died.
http://skullgirls.wikia.com/wiki/Queen_Renoir_(Nancy)
Gonna need a source that says he went MIA in the great war.

King Renoir isn't dead.

Parasoul won't be Queen until he dies/abdicates, even though she's running everything at the moment with the King MIA.
If he really went MIA 7 years ago there's no way the kingdom hasn't declared him dead and moved on.

After losing his wife to the Skull Heart and the Grand War, King Renoir found himself with a stronger conscience. Despite the continuing need for the Labs in the fight against the Skullgirls, the King moved to decommission their experiments. Once he himself disappeared, however, it was restarted in secret and the lack of official oversight has allowed the Labs’ scientists to perform increasingly questionable experiments.

From http://skullgirls.com/game/world/. There's never been any confirmation in official lore or from Alex about the King's fate, and the Skullgirls Wikia is pretty notorious for having inaccurate lore and gameplay information, so I'd take what it says with a pinch of salt.

Since it's never confirmed that the King is dead, Princess Parasoul is the "caretaker" leader until it is proven such. We don't know what the laws in the Canopy Kingdom regarding such things is, but in our world, we don't declare people dead just because they have disappeared, unless they have disappeared for a long time (over 10 years in many countries), or there is a pretty good reason to believe that they are dead (if someone "disappeared" after being in a plane crash, for example). We don't know the circumstances surrounding the King's disappearance, and he obviously didn't abdicate the throne before he disappeared.

If he really went MIA 7 years ago there's no way the kingdom hasn't declared him dead and moved on.
Don't you think it would be pretty untactful for Parasoul's subjects to go and tell the Princess, who is still grieving for the death of her mother, "Oh hey, your dad disappeared, so he's gotta be dead. You'd better take over his throne."

Reactions: Denizen
Don't you think it would be pretty untactful for Parasoul's subjects to go and tell the Princess, who is still grieving for the death of her mother, "Oh hey, your dad disappeared, so he's gotta be dead. You'd better take over his throne."
At some point they really ought to. Although I assume there was a long period where they looked for him, it's now long past the point where any rational kingdom would presume him dead. Unless it's an entire kingdom stuck in the denial stage of grief.

At some point they really ought to. Although I assume there was a long period where they looked for him, it's now long past the point where any rational kingdom would presume him dead. Unless it's an entire kingdom stuck in the denial stage of grief.

If Parasoul doesn't think he's dead then she has the authority to overrule anybody who says otherwise. So really she's the only one who needs to be in denial about it.

And really, what does the Canopy Kingdom gain from declaring him dead? Parasoul is running the show anyway, even if she's not officially the Queen.

Basically what Jason said. Additionally, King Franz is still a highly respected and feared leader and warrior (he was the one who struck down one of the most powerful Skullgirls after all, not to mention his wartime exploits). Even if they suspect that he's dead, the leaders of Canopy still has a pretty good reason to want their neighbouring countries to think that he might still be alive.

It's worth noting that--at least in the Skullgirls Digital Sketchbook and some other concept art--King Renoir is depicted as having his head missing, with nothing but a column of smoke coming from his neck.

Old plotlines state that he used a certain power to eliminate the Skullgirl-fied Queen Nancy that also cursed him to live headless. While that "power" seems to have been eliminated from the plotline, (it was related to the one that had Parasoul growing branches out of her covered eye, the "Black Tree", so you know it's quite old) it is entirely possible that Franz being a headless man is still the reason he's missing in the current plotline. Even if the origin of that status has been changed.

After all, it wouldn't make the Canopy Kingdom look very good to have a leader that's missing his head, would it?

In any case... Even if the headless plot has been entirely abandoned at this point, Parasoul is still definitely the one in charge of the country in King Renoir's absence.

It's worth noting that--at least in the Skullgirls Digital Sketchbook and some other concept art--King Renoir is depicted as having his head missing, with nothing but a column of smoke coming from his neck.

Old plotlines state that he used a certain power to eliminate the Skullgirl-fied Queen Nancy that also cursed him to live headless. While that "power" seems to have been eliminated from the plotline, (it was related to the one that had Parasoul growing branches out of her covered eye, the "Black Tree", so you know it's quite old) it is entirely possible that Franz being a headless man is still the reason he's missing in the current plotline. Even if the origin of that status has been changed.

After all, it wouldn't make the Canopy Kingdom look very good to have a leader that's missing his head, would it?

In any case... Even if the headless plot has been entirely abandoned at this point, Parasoul is still definitely the one in charge of the country in King Renoir's absence.
I imagine that in this case, since he went missing around the time that he was shutting down the immoral labs, it's very possible that he was captured and used as an experiment in Lab 0. That would probably be the reason he's headless now.

I get the impression capturing and experimenting on the guy in charge of your funding is an unlikely move. But in that case maybe he went willingly.

I get the impression capturing and experimenting on the guy in charge of your funding is an unlikely move. But in that case maybe he went willingly.
He was about to cut it off, though, and he went missing before he could. It seems like it's pretty heavily implied that the labs did something with him so that they didn't lose funding.

Reactions: HomeBurger
All I know is Franz was a complete Tyrant, but a good father and husband, perhaps he left out of guilt and shame of what he done (the kidnapping of civilians and experimenting on them, blaming himself for what became of his wife, didn't want his daughters to make the same mistakes)