• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Why does Filia's Updo (H) do 3 hits?

dama624

I only like sugar cookies
Reaction score
Website
dama624.tumblr.com
Squigly Filia
Stupid question, I know, but I'm kinda fuzzy on whatever happened between all her Updos having only 1 hit to what it is now. It doesn't really seem to make any sort of difference now.

If I recall correctly, I thought Filia's Updo getting 3 hits on H version was a "nerf" intended for the assist, yet we have her doing that on point and still only 1 hit on assist. What happened?

(*EDIT* I say it doesn't seem to make any sort of difference now, since Filia's only real way to convert off of it is through Gregor, which makes damage scaling moot since the super does so many hits regardless)

The explanation behind it was something along the lines of "3 hits for point Filia because it's cool, 1 hit for assist Filia because the invulnerable assist is already good enough without it being armor breaking on top of it".

Reactions: Mr. X
Did we ever get an explanation as to why a 3 hit updo assist is too cheap in a game where dbl butt exists?

Why does Parasoul's pillar have like 100 frames of startup when Updo starts up in an instant?

Why do Fukua's fireballs only do 350 damage when any of Peacock's projectiles does way more?

Why does Squigly have a normal throw you can't convert off without spending bar or stance when Valentine's throw leaves people nice and crumpled right at your feet?

You shouldn't compare single tools, you should compare characters. Mike apparently thinks that Filia has enough advantages in other fields that she really doesn't need a lockdown assist that's also invincible and really easy to confirm off. Whether his judgment about Double/Bomber is correct is an entirely different thing.

The explanation behind it was something along the lines of "3 hits for point Filia because it's cool, 1 hit for assist Filia because the invulnerable assist is already good enough without it being armor breaking on top of it".
Does 3-hit Updo break armor? I think the last few times I tried against Cere's Lock and Load (H), it only hit once and I got stuffed.

Helps break armor better than a 1 hit assist, anyway.

Does 3-hit Updo break armor?
No, it's not 3 hit when connecting with armor.

Updo as a whole is really weird right now.

It's mostly a "Mike thought it's cool so she got it, but he didn't actually want to buff her so he made it not happen where it would matter"

Why does Parasoul's pillar have like 100 frames of startup when Updo starts up in an instant?
Updo startup: 13f startup (invuln for 15f), -72 on block
Pillar startup: 17f startup (invuln for 22f), -31 on block

You heard it here, folks. 17 is now "like 100" and the difference between an instant and almost 2 seconds is 4 frames!

Reactions: Icky
It's actually a nerf to combos that start from reversal DP with M/H versions (more invincibility), the extra hits actually scale your final combo quicker. The 3-hit thing is more okay than people generally think.

Updo startup: 13f startup (invuln for 15f), -72 on block
Pillar startup: 17f startup (invuln for 22f), -31 on block

You heard it here, folks. 17 is now "like 100" and the difference between an instant and almost 2 seconds is 4 frames!
I dunno what those other numbers are there for

Are you trying to convince us that Pillar is better than Updo

It's actually a nerf to combos that start from reversal DP with M/H versions (more invincibility), the extra hits actually scale your final combo quicker. The 3-hit thing is more okay than people generally think.
Already mentioned in my initial post: Unless you used an assist before you Updo'd, how else will you combo from reversal M/H DP than Gregor/Fenrir?
If you assisted, your damage is scaled already.
If you Fenrir...
If you Gregor, your damage is scaled (enough) already because Gregor does several hits so that there really shouldn't be that big a difference in damage. I think.

I dunno what those other numbers are there for

Are you trying to convince us that Pillar is better than Updo
To address the inevitable followup question of "why is Pillar 4 frames slower than Updo?" I included the extra tidbits that Pillar is invulnerable for longer and is way safer. It's not a statement of Pillar being better at all unless you choose to read it that way.

Keep in mind, the fact that somebody bothered to make an initial complaint that 1 move took "100 frames" and the other move took "an instant" when the true difference was 4 frames, it's really easy to assume that the next step in that person's line of thought would be to nitpick that 4 frame difference. I'm nipping that in the bud.

Thanks for the correction, but those numbers are for H Updo. L Updo starts up in 8. 9 frames aren't exactly a small difference.

Also, pillar numbers were a humorous exaggeration, I'm sorry for making a joke that was apparently uncalled for because people could take it seriously.

Thanks for the correction, but those numbers are for H Updo. L Updo starts up in 8. 9 frames aren't exactly a small difference.

Also, pillar numbers were a humorous exaggeration, I'm sorry for making a joke that was apparently uncalled for because people could take it seriously.
Wow, 2 option selects in one post.

Color me confused for thinking you were talking about HP Updo when it's in the thread title. And compared against HK Pillar. And by far more common than LP Updo.

Also, sorry for jokingly posting the frame data of the moves as a joke. I didn't think you'd take my joke (which was totally a joke) seriously, and for that I'm sorry.

Reactions: ClarenceMage
I always though the changes were to give Filia an option to armor break on point.

(Yes, an option. additional)

I always though the changes were to give Filia an option to armor break on point.

(Yes, an option. additional)
I dont think so, im pretty sure her c.mk does that a bit better

Wow, 2 option selects in one post.

Color me confused for thinking you were talking about HP Updo when it's in the thread title. And compared against HK Pillar. And by far more common than LP Updo.

Also, sorry for jokingly posting the frame data of the moves as a joke. I didn't think you'd take my joke (which was totally a joke) seriously, and for that I'm sorry.

Then there's nothing left for me to do aside from apologizing for taking your joke seriously and holding the L, because this argument is not going to get any better.