• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Why Filia's Amnesia is actually a really good idea.

WaterMystic277

Anime Fucker
Reaction score
Squigly Cerebella
Because she gives us light as an exposition character.

Being she's a character that most people pick up first, her lack of memories explains a lot both story and gameplay wise. Samson would have to teach her things about the world and the basics of fighting to survive.

I was talking to my friend about this, well he told me this magnificent discovery actually but I completely agree with it.

I was talking about something similar with my friend, too.
You're absolutely right.

I kind of agree with this, but at the same time, Filia's in-game story mode didn't really go into the kind of stuff we would expect to learn about the Skullgirls universe though an exposition character, and mostly remained on Filia's conflict and her interactions with Painwheel.

Now if there was, say, a Skullgirls animated series, she would easily be the best character to center around for the reason you stated. So far, though, what we have learned about the Skullgirls universe has mostly been split between each characters' individual stories and Word of God.

Edit: My gosh, I only just realized now how much I want a Skullgirls animated series. I know it will never happen, but just the thought of it makes me happy.

I kind of agree with this, but at the same time, Filia's in-game story mode didn't really go into the kind of stuff we would expect to learn about the Skullgirls universe though an exposition character, and mostly remained on Filia's conflict and her interactions with Painwheel.

Now if there was, say, a Skullgirls animated series, she would easily be the best character to center around for the reason you stated. So far, though, what we have learned about the Skullgirls universe has mostly been split between each characters' individual stories and Word of God.

Edit: My gosh, I only just realized now how much I want a Skullgirls animated series. I know it will never happen, but just the thought of it makes me happy.

Yeah, they could of handled her story mode better.
I wonder, because it's so popular in Japan apparently, it'll earn it's own Anime.

(Trigger, get your asses on this.)

Reactions: juju_for_president
Amnesia, stated outright or implied, is a plot device used in many RPGs to explain why the character who lived in the game world for years before the game's start knows virtually nothing about it and needs to ask NPCs about the silliest of things.

Not a fan of using it in a fighting game without an actual main character, though. While a blank slate char in an RPG is great for the player to create his protagonist's personality and story however he pleases, here giving Filia amnesia took away her personality without offering much in exchange.

Reactions: LKArtillery
Amnesia, stated outright or implied, is a plot device used in many RPGs to explain why the character who lived in the game world for years before the game's start knows virtually nothing about it and needs to ask NPCs about the silliest of things.

Not a fan of using it in a fighting game without an actual main character, though. While a blank slate char in an RPG is great for the player to create his protagonist's personality and story however he pleases, here giving Filia amnesia took away her personality without offering much in exchange.

Hmm..that's also a good point, but I'm not sure how else they would expose the world around them. I guess Umbrella might be another good choice? But then again, her title as Princess might only make the world seem 'good'.

Well the characters themselves come from a variety of backgrounds and creeds, so the best option would be to explain different things from the perspective of a character who would be most knowledgeable on the subject. This way you don't have all of the plot being explained to any one character, and nobody seems to know everything. If you want to talk about how things are in the slums, use Ms. Fortune or Filia. Lab experiments? Valentine or Peacock.
You could also invert this, having the character whose perspective you are viewing from have the least amount of knowledge on things, and want to know more about it. Learning about Filia through Samson would be best since he knows everything about her. But learning about Parasoul could be done either through her own perspective, or from Umbrella's, since she seems to know very little about why Parasoul does this or that.

I feel like Filia's amnesia allows for a sort of baseline as far as opinions go. She doesn't remember much, but she's kind of friendly and a little inquisitive, so her opinion on things would probably be closest to what the viewer feels looking in as opposed to what a character in-world feels. For example Filia might think that Annie is really cool, since she would technically have just seen her for the first time (just like we have) but any other character her age or older would probably be meh on it ('xcept parasoul).

I got stuck like 8 times writing this.

Well the characters themselves come from a variety of backgrounds and creeds, so the best option would be to explain different things from the perspective of a character who would be most knowledgeable on the subject. This way you don't have all of the plot being explained to any one character, and nobody seems to know everything. If you want to talk about how things are in the slums, use Ms. Fortune or Filia. Lab experiments? Valentine or Peacock.
You could also invert this, having the character whose perspective you are viewing from have the least amount of knowledge on things, and want to know more about it. Learning about Filia through Samson would be best since he knows everything about her. But learning about Parasoul could be done either through her own perspective, or from Umbrella's, since she seems to know very little about why Parasoul does this or that.

I feel like Filia's amnesia allows for a sort of baseline as far as opinions go. She doesn't remember much, but she's kind of friendly and a little inquisitive, so her opinion on things would probably be closest to what the viewer feels looking in as opposed to what a character in-world feels. For example Filia might think that Annie is really cool, since she would technically have just seen her for the first time (just like we have) but any other character her age or older would probably be meh on it ('xcept parasoul).

I got stuck like 8 times writing this.

Yeah, that's pretty much my point on the matter. Filia is best of both worlds with Samson, since Samson's centuries of street smarts to Filia is basically narrating the entirety of the game.

But since Painwheel's story didn't have any interactions with Filia at all, it all felt really disjointed.
my thoughts exactly.
I feel like Filia's amnesia allows for a sort of baseline as far as opinions go. She doesn't remember much, but she's kind of friendly and a little inquisitive, so her opinion on things would probably be closest to what the viewer feels looking in as opposed to what a character in-world feels.
I'm problem i have with amnesia plot lines is that a lot of the time there's time wasted on overly done drama on the nature of the self. basically they wring their hands over "is the me now (post-amnesia) the real me or is the old me (pre-amnesia) the real me? oh let's spend time with flashbacks about all the moral lessons i learned!" then we find out it was the power of friendship all along!

Well TBH Filia isn't old enough to have any real lasting parables... Her personality will change when(if) she gets her memory back, but I doubt it's anything worth struggling over...unless she was secretly a Medici enforcer or something crazy like that...which is unlikely.
But everything I said was with the assumption that the story would be told from multiple perspectives (Baccano! style). And really that new me old me thing is kinda BS. It would be exactly the same as if you hated somebody but then more recent experiences caused you to not hate them. You just wouldn't think that person was as much of a shit anymore.

I'm problem i have with amnesia plot lines is that a lot of the time there's time wasted on overly done drama on the nature of the self. basically they wring their hands over "is the me now (post-amnesia) the real me or is the old me (pre-amnesia) the real me? oh let's spend time with flashbacks about all the moral lessons i learned!" then we find out it was the power of friendship all along!
In terms of amnesia plots, I like how Dust: An Elysian Tail approached it. It still had brooding about "which me is the real me" and "who was I in my past life" stuff like that, but the amount of time spent brooding isn't enough to make it intolerable, and when it occurred, it was pretty freaking justified (for example, after the Smo-Bop's dad quest)

In addition, the party manages to get a pretty good idea of who Dust was through the characters they meet, so Dust pretty much accepts early on that he was likely a part of the villain's army, leading to less "WHO AM I? WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOR?!?" moments before the reveal.

Because she gives us light as an exposition character.

Being she's a character that most people pick up first, her lack of memories explains a lot both story and gameplay wise. Samson would have to teach her things about the world and the basics of fighting to survive.

I was talking to my friend about this, well he told me this magnificent discovery actually but I completely agree with it.
This would make sense if her story was dedicated to world-building. If each time she's confronted with something new samson explains it to her. For example, if her story mode started off with her watching a news report about the skullgirl and asking samson what she is, learning about the skullheart in the process, then deciding to seek it. And when a new enemy is introduced, Samson would have to explain something about them- so, when Ms.Fortune comes out he explains Ferals, when Cerebella comes out he explains the Medicis, when Peacock comes out he explains Synthetic parasites, etc.
The big problem with this is that that's a shit ton of dialogue to stick in the middle of a fighting game story mode. It would be very difficult to keep the mode engaging if you were doing that the whole time. Practically every character would get some background info, since there's quite a bit to go over, and they may even have quite a few lines. It also would distract quite a lot from her actual arc, since this would take up at least half of her dialogue, making the story pretty unfocused.
I think it could work out, it's just hard as fuck to get this sort of thing to work out in a fighting game. It's very difficult to make the narrative and the gameplay mesh well in a fighting game without spending way too much time on the single player story mode.

Well TBH Filia isn't old enough to have any real lasting parables... Her personality will change when(if) she gets her memory back, but I doubt it's anything worth struggling over...unless she was secretly a Medici enforcer or something crazy like that...which is unlikely.
Maybe not an enforcer, but I'd hope she'd have more of rough or hardened sort of manner to her.

It can't be easy to grow up in an environment where your family is potentially your most dangerous enemy.

Reactions: southpawper