• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Will Eliza be tournament legal at EVO?

Golbat

Reaction score
Steam
golbat
Filia Ms. Fortune Parasoul
Due to Big Band's release being held back to March and me being an idiot and not knowing how that would effect Eliza's production schedule and release date, would this lead to a similar situation like with Mortal Kombat at EVO 2011, where DLC characters Kenshi, Skarlet, and Rain were banned due to their release being timed too close to the tournament?

If this has already been clarified feel free to lock and delete the thread.

Evo will be on console, so she may not even be released by then (she really should though).

But still, If possible, I would like for her to be legal since I intend to add her to my team.

If the timeline to make squigly is any indication, no Eliza will not be legal to play at evo:

Squigly = around halfway done in March of 2013. Released to the public in beta form in late June/early July 2013, not tournament legal if the opponent doesnt want to play against her... And why would anyone who hasn't played against her much, want to play against her in tournament? One of my evo opponents used squigly against me the day before and showed me i didnt know the matchup. Then come tournament day he asked me if i wanted to play our evo match on the beta so he could use squigly... I flatout refused.

Eliza imho will be near the same if things stay pretty much the same way. Squigly at time of evo wasnt balanced ag all and why would someone want to play against a character that may be overpowered, which is what a beta version of Eliza might be at the time evo.

Remember, Lab Zero is trying to keep parity so pc wont get Eliza weeks before console. If she is on all platforms before Usf4 is, I say she's okay.

Reactions: Woofly and Wenzel
She'll be on the beta, most of the active pc community will be playing her before that.

She'll be on the beta, most of the active pc community will be playing her before that.
You'd think that but Big Band really didnt kick up beta activity that much for that long afaik.

You'd think that but Big Band really didnt kick up beta activity that much for that long afaik.
I think more people will try her though.

We didn't have a choice on getting Big Band, Eliza won a vote.

or maybe not.

Reactions: Dime
Remember, Lab Zero is trying to keep parity so pc wont get Eliza weeks before console. If she is on all platforms before Usf4 is, I say she's okay.

IIRC *and I could be recalling incorrectly* Peter mentioned what is happening with the Big Band delay shouldn't become the norm and that it is only due to the extreme circumstances of how big the gap between PC and console has been so far.

Ooh, this is an interesting question.
Actually, Big Band was selectable at the SoCal Regionals tournament recently, despite not being released on consoles OR PC and even still had some unfinished frames. The game was running on a special build that had none of the beta adjustments aside from bug fixes and Big Band himself. EVO last year actually ran a similar special build that had no balance adjustments, but plenty of bug fixes. It could be entirely possible that Eliza will be playable if she's far enough along by July.

I would hope not as I didn't agree with BB being playable at SoCal. If she's not available on consoles I would prefer she not be allowed in the tournament.

I would hope not as I didn't agree with BB being playable at SoCal. If she's not available on consoles I would prefer she not be allowed in the tournament.
.. and if she's available like 2 weeks before the tournament, that's still a no-go.

Reactions: Cellsai
I would imagine that they'd just do the same thing with Eliza this year if she's still not gone live yet that they did with Squigly last year: Hold a second for-funsies side tournament where everyone has to run Eliza on their team for the purposes of promoting the new update. That way the people who don't want to get screwed over by not knowing the matchup yet in the main tournament while there's still a tournament available for the people who have been playing her in the beta.

Reactions: Wenzel
I would imagine that they'd just do the same thing with Eliza this year if she's still not gone live yet that they did with Squigly last year: Hold a second for-funsies side tournament where everyone has to run Eliza on their team for the purposes of promoting the new update. That way the people who don't want to get screwed over by not knowing the matchup yet in the main tournament while there's still a tournament available for the people who have been playing her in the beta.
Ahhh~ I was trying to remember what they did last year for Squigs. Yeah, that seems like a totally fine solution if Eliza's not done in time.

That seems great.

this

Last year we had a vote before EVO which version the tournament should be held in. The vote was overwhelmingly in favour of playing the version that everyone has had a long time to practise on, i.e. SDE. (Although I think we had a rule that if both players agree to play beta, then the match could be on beta.)

But yeah there will most likely be a beta side tournament again.

Reactions: Wenzel and Cellsai
If Mike Z will be at EVO and Eliza is mostly finished I guarantee she will be at EVO, all the tourney's that Mike Z goes too are all Beta builds

Maybe not Eliza, but how about Fukua?

Maybe not Eliza, but how about Fukua?
Fukua was used in Rebel up so i guess she is already tourney legal, but she wont be on console until Eliza patch

Fukua was used in Rebel up so i guess she is already tourney legal, but she wont be on console until Eliza patch

In EVO's of past, special "tournament editions" have been made for the console's there to play on. I am sure if most of the people entering were chill with it, she could be thrown into the tournament edition.

Yeah, for example EVO2013 was played with Squigly being allowed.
A PC beta side tournament was held with Squigly allowed. The main tournament was played on PS3 SDE.

Reactions: Wenzel
upload_2014-4-6_19-30-58.png

Just if Eliza gets in consoles before EVO 2014, but will get in the "special" side tournament (?) tought.