• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Xbox 360 Gamepad Troubles

UNRiDDLED

Reaction score
When I try to play Skullgirls on Steam, all of the buttons are mapped in strange locations (The start button, by default, is HK for example). The right analog stick isn't detected at all, nor are the left and right triggers... I can cope with the buttons being mapped in odd places (easy enough to change) and the lack of some of my buttons, but for some reason diagonal inputs have to be executed very precisely in order to execute... I can jump straight up just fine but I need to be very careful when attempting to jump forwards or backwards since they both require such a small "sweet spot" to preform.
I've tested this on multiple controllers and have played on a friend of mine's copy of the game on his laptop as well, but this problem seems to be exclusive to my own...
The controller works fine on other games. This has even been a problem on the Beta of Skullgirls... I've deleted "buttonsettings.bin", reinstalled the game multiple times, and even reinstalled my controller's driver...
Help would be greatly appreciated, ty.

Obvious question, but are you using the official microsoft drivers for your Xbox pad?

I am

Really? Then make sure you aren't using some weird 3rd party program like Joy2Key or something that's interfering with the controller. I've used the Xbox 360 controller on a few different computers and haven't gotten any problems besides the drivers not installing at all to begin with. Once installed everything worked fine though.

Maybe try seeing what the computer is seeing to see if there's any issues.
1. Go to "Set up USB controllers".
You can search for it in the start menu.
If the start menu is unavailable for any reason (Windows 8 lol) then it's under Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > View devices and printers > Right-click "Xbox 360 Controller for Windows" > Game controller settings.

2. Make sure Controller (XBOX 360 for Windows) is highlighted and click on the "Properties" button.

3. The properties window should open. Under the "Test" tab play around with your controller to see if the computer is reading the inputs okay.

4. If you want to recalibrate your controller then click on the "Settings" tab then click on "Calibrate..." and follow the instructions. If you want to reset your controller then click on "Reset to default..." instead.

It's the correct device. I used Xpadder once or twice in the past, but it never really does anything unless you activate it (removed for good measure). And everything seems to be calibrated correctly as far as I can tell... It reads all of my inputs just fine, but I reset it to defaults anyways, with still no changes to how Skullgirls reads it...
I uninstalled and reinstalled Skullgirls again for good measure, comp restarted, etc.
All other games still have no problems with any of my controllers...
Really want to get this game running smoothly... I had hoped to make Skullgirls my sort of "resolution" to get better at fighters in general...