• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Report 11-7 Salty: Beowulf Nears Beta-Worthiness, New Stage

Flotilla

Reaction score
Big Band Big Band Big Band
beobanner2.jpg

Biweekly Skullgirls tournament Salty!, as usual, was host to exciting developments regarding Skullgirls Encore's newest DLC character Beowulf. New attacks, stages, and Beowulf's impending inclusion into the Skullgirls Endless Beta were the topics of discussion!

• Beowulf finally has all of his normals! Once he has a non-temporary grab and airgrab, he'll be ready to enter the Skullgirls Endless Beta.
  • s.HP (chair) - Beowulf swats his chair through the air, covering a sizable amount of air and distance. If sc.HP hits an airborne opponent, it will send them into knockdown state.
  • s.HP (chairless) - Beowulf extends his arm to grab his unfortunate opponent. Functions as a hitgrab, so it can be comboed into. Like all similar moves, s.HP brings Beowulf into grab mode.
  • s.HK - Beo lowers himself to the floor to kick his opponent in the face. If not chained into, s.HK inflicts stagger on the opponent. You can stagger during combos so long as s.HK is the first move of the current chain (so j.MP > s.HK inflicts stagger). If s.HK hits an airborne opponent, it will fling them back and send them into knockdown state.
  • j.LP - Beowulf performs a devilish eye rake. A speedy normal that works nicely with Beowulf's hop dash.
  • LP Chair Toss - His first special! Beowulf removes the chair fastened to his back, places it on the ground, and kicks it forward.
  • Super - Beowulf dashes forward as he swings Grendel's arm, smacking the opponent for heavy damage. Can be comboed off of in the corner if done on an airborne opponent, but is a very tight link. Can also be used to combo after his tag-in.
  • A new stage! Beowulf will be able to brawl in his obligatory wrestling ring stage, complete with lights, banners, and a roaring crowd. The character banners change depending on the characters being played, and a few Indiegogo hopefuls are included for good measure as well. You can finally fight alongside Hubrecht... sort of.

With work on Beowulf speeding along, make sure you don't miss a beat: Catch Rebel Up and Salty! live so that you can watch the updates unfold alongside the community! Watch Rebel Up here every other Saturday @ 4PM PST. Watch Salty! here every other Friday @ 8PM PST. Next week will be Rebel Up, don't miss it!

Beo is already top tier.

His stage may actually be my favorite. Can't wait for the music.

S W E E T C H I N M U S I C

Hopefully when the stage is completed, the DLC banners switch around every match, so we could see some other characters front and center. Scythana and Stanley are off-center and harder to see, but they're there.
9hyuhv3.png

Would also like to see characters like Regina, Illeum, Adam, and all the rest up there. If they don't randomly switch around, then I'd like a couple different "Sets", like the NPC groups.

Though if we get none of that, I am still VERY happy that Scythana made the cut, and hopefully in the finished version she looks even better.

Reactions: Osmiumsmith
I really liked the demonically salty Umbrella banner.

Last edited:
Reactions: Broseidon Rex
I don't really get why Hubrect is up there...

Do they just really like him?
Maybe because he was one of the candidates in the DLC vote?

Man though, Beowulf looks stupid fun. Them grabs.

Here's hoping opponents can't like mash out of grab mode or something.

From what I understand they can tech out of it like a normal throw, but only after a very short time-frame that depends on which version of the initial grab you use. Could be old info or simply wrong, correct me if that's the case.

From what I can tell, the character banners in Beowolf's stage seem to change every time a match is started on the stage. Or maybe they change over time during a match, I dunno.

Dead on Time reference is pretty sick.

I thought it was Jin's Bloodia fist from MVC 1, because Dead on Time does put the character a little higher for it's wall stick portion.

I hope there's an alternate version of the stage where the center banners aren't DLC characters, seems a bit odd to have them there.

Dead on Time reference is pretty sick.

I thought it was Jin's Bloodia fist from MVC 1, because Dead on Time does put the character a little higher for it's wall stick portion.
Off-topic, but from which game is the Dead on Time super? It's hard to find it in Google.
Nevermind. It's Guilty Gear's Slayer. I don't even know why I didn't remember it.

Last edited:
Off-topic, but from which game is the Dead on Time super? It's hard to find it in Google.
Nevermind. It's Guilty Gear's Slayer. I don't even know why I didn't remember it.

Looks like Ralph KOF to me, its really a Slayer reference?

Yup, its a Guilty Gear Slayer reference. Which in turn is a Queen (the band) reference.

Here's a combo video from six years ago that features the move and the song it is based on:

I just saw that when I was looking up the super today lol

I dunno, Dead On Time seems a bit more antiair-esque than Beowulf's super. Seems closer to Blodia Punch/Bionic Arm than that.

I'm so hype for Beowulf, the moment he's available in beta I'm gonna start grinding.

Reactions: mcpeanuts
I love Beowulf's stage but it's kinda sad to think the banners in the middle are just paying homage to the characters that never made it into the game.

Reactions: No longer exist
There's something I noticed about Beowulf's Stage that I love. Eliza's Stage is Eliza's Stage. It's her house, her pool, her furniture, her visage, it's all about her.
Beowulf's Stage however is the People's Stage. It's a room made for the audience, the banners honor the characters who lost during the voting period, it's for everyone.

Bionic Arm hits them up
Blodia Punch hits multiple times
Galactica Phantom is closer
and as for Dead On Time's wall splat, the super's not done yet. :^)

The opponent currently can't mash out of grab mode, how long they are held depends on what grabbed them (and eventually what your crowd hype level is). They can tech both of his regular throws, which will go to grab mode, during the regular throw tech window.

so confirmed wall bounce for Grendal's Arm Super? nice. and i'm liking the hype meter with the crowd idea too.

Oh god...resisting the urge to change the music when the stage is finished is...fading..

SOMEONE STOP ME

Beowulfs stage is so amazing, I cannot wait for this stage to get finished. Also beowulf himself is shaping up really well, that super is going to be so cool. I know this was stated before, but I am so glad that he doesn't have the huge ass white outline coming out of him like the previous characters did.

Reactions: chickenwithtie
Clearly the first thing people need to do with the stage music is make a Space Jam remix of it so no one is unhappy.

Beowulf seems to be like the DLC version of Painwheel.

I'M IN!

How do you figure?
Um, well, he seems to have a short-ish reach, except for his current super; he consistently hit grabs (with some normals).
Painwheel has a mostly short reach, she hit grabs with specials.

Is there a reason Beowulf's chair has to disappear from the background when he's tagged out. I've always liked the fact that there are things to watch out for an play around in the background of Skullgirls. I figure if he leaves it out he should have to come back for it right?

Reactions: Osmiumsmith