• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Anime/Manga General Discussion

Memories is an anthology of three short films released in 1995. All three works were created by Otomo, but each short film is directed, written, and scored by different people.

The first of Memories is Magnetic Rose, a sci-fi story directed by Koji Morimoto (of Macross Plus fame), written by Satoshi Kon himself, and scored by none other than Yoko Kanno. If you couldn't really tell, Magnetic Rose is undoubtedly the strongest of the three short films, with the most powerful visuals, writing, and music of the three. I don't want to spoil any part of it, but it's really good.

The second of Memories is Stink Bomb, a dark comedy about a scientist that just wants to cure his cold. People start dying because of it. It was directed by Tensai Okamura (of Darker Than Black fame), written by Otomo himself, and scored by Jun Miyake. Stink Bomb has a really strong attention to detail of how people move. Everyone moves distinctly and realistically, which feels almost at odds with the chaotic nature of it, but it all comes together into a nice package.

The third and final of Memories is Cannon Fodder, which I can only describe as a slice-of-life. Cannon Fodder was written and directed by Otomo himself, with music by Hiroyuki Nagashima. Otomo's style absolutely permeates Cannon Fodder with how distinct the visuals, animation, and cinematography are. The short is animated as if it's one long take, moving seamlessly from one scene to the next, or at least simulating the idea of such.

so yeah go watch it. the only truly unfortunate thing about Memories is that it was never dubbed, but that really won't take away from the experience, unless you have your eyes glued to the subtitles constantly.

Reactions: PaperBag_Sniper
sweet. it's only had the motion comic for a while.

hope Ultraman gets an anime too. :)

I haven't read the manga but

Boku no Hero Academia anime!
I feel like it's too soon to be handing out an anime to an admittedly great series. Looks like Shonen Jump is gearing up to make My Hero Academy the next Toriko and give it as much promotion as possible to help fill the void left by Naruto leaving the lineup. Which is bad because the Toriko anime is notoriously bad. Also that troll doll ending was facepalm worthy.

Holy shit there's an anime thread here!!

I just got to say that Valkyrie Drive is the best god damned anime this season. With only 2 episodes in I am floored with the care and attention to detail. I see so much potential and judging form the director's past work I don't think I'll be disappointed. Already there are so many hints of great things to come. So many strong, well realized and designed characters. Plus there is also a tie in game. My god I can't believe we are still getting such great anime in 2015.

Reactions: Kyugetsuki
I marathoned through the entire One Punch Man manga (all the way to Metal Bat Hero fighting centipedes) after watching episode 3.

Let's just say that people who haven't read the manga have a lot to look forward to for the OPM anime. Also, the manga has amazing art.

speaking of the webcomic, does anyone have a good place to read it? batoto stopped working for me for the manga and the webcomic so I dunno what to do.
Mangafox is great as long as you've got adblock

Macross Delta
5 idols...

VF Teams, new VFs look sexy
12047157_10153221942817263_4865921898865697089_n.jpg
12189744_10153221949832263_4992209692593413249_n.jpg
12187828_10153221951562263_7652407441584266445_n.jpg

Official PV and details!

Last edited:
GOD FUCKING DAMMIT!
SHE WAS TOO GOOD FOR THIS WORLD!

WHY MUST THE GOOD DIE YOUNG?!

A real shame and a great loss. I never really followed VAs too closely, but this was one name I recognized immediately.

Someone want to fill me in on this?

Holy shit... I'm hurt by this.

I loved Miyu's performance as Harumi in Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei and as Flora in Claymore.

Damn, this is sad. We lost a great seiyuu.

I'll definitely need to buy the series when its released, I'd feel like a thief if I didn't support them somehow lel

So the news slipped past me that apparently Koe no Katachi is getting a movie adaptation, and by KyoAni? The manga has been firmly on my to-read list for a while, so this was pleasant news, especially considering I'm a scrub who prefers anime to manga anyway.

So the news slipped past me that apparently Koe no Katachi is getting a movie adaptation, and by KyoAni? The manga has been firmly on my to-read list for a while, so this was pleasant news, especially considering I'm a scrub who prefers anime to manga anyway.
That's great news. You must read it!!

Reactions: Vadsamoht
The 53 chapter long prolouge of Tokyo Ghoul Re is finally over.

ltokyo-ghoulre-6523663.jpg

I really don't like how they shoehorned his mother beating him when he was a child. She was previously shown as a generally benevolent person. With no buildup it just feels edgy for edginess' sake. They also don't show any of his friends as he awakens but FUCK IT THE CHAMP IS HERE.

Reactions: HeadcrabNinja
Last edited:
there's also another anime I'm currently watching:

Non Non Biyori.

it's an anime about girls who go to school in the country.
it's cute,
the character designs are nice,
the best character is a first grader.

I highly recommend it.

Reactions: HeadcrabNinja
Almost everything I've watched in the last month or so has been pretty disappointing.