• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Anime/Manga General Discussion

okay, I am really nervous on how the Garo anime is gonna go down, mainly because of writer and director.

Yasuko Kobayashi is writing the series, and Yuichiro Hayashi is gonna direct.

what are your opinions?

Kobayashi does the Jojo's anime but also did some pretty lame things
haven't heard of Hayashi, what are some stuff that he's done?

Kobayashi might do well since he's done tokusatsu shows, so he might do a more toku-esque story. he's worked on some really good toku shows too

and Hayashi is more of an animation director. he's done animation directing for some openings, like the openings for Eureka 7, worked on the storyboard for the 10th episode of Kill la Kill, did the storyboard for 009 Re:Cyborg, and he directed PES: Peace Eco Smile but it was in 2012.

I finished watching Michiko & Hatchin last night, TENOUTTATEN.
I also finished watching Baccano, although finished is an odd word to use considering the situation.

Chapter 52? Why would I be pissed? Also why does the spin-off have more chapters than the original?

Slight correction @Sanoblaze, Yasuko Kobayashi is female.

That is a good pv for Garo, should I watch the anime before the live action series or vice versa?
either or.

the anime seems to take place in a different time period and place altogether.

EDIT: also, her name sounds very masculine. :P my bad.

Last edited:
Well that was fast. S2 of Nisekoi already announced with more details soon. If Shaft is still handling the anime I'll still watch despite how Nisekoi doesn't have a plot in the later chapters.

I liked Nisekoi at first, but then got annoyed with it, especially in the 2nd half. The whole show felt kind of filler-ish to me. I'll pass on Season 2.

Finished Blood-C. Before I heard and read a lot of stuff about it, and I also seen all previous Bloods. So far I expected some disappointment. Started it just because some genre fans said there is quite detailed and beautiful fighting and gore scenes, and it's only reason, why this show worth of watching. Hell yeah, it's really was worth it.
I mean, I never seen anything more manly than this (NSFW gore):
At first
14100312455288812.jpg

but then
14100312455230444.jpg

Oh, also done with Tokyo Ghoul. That main ordinary schoolboy reminds me Touma from To aru kagaku no Index. Trying to be ordinary like nothing going on, always trying to be "neutral" and save everyone, and always in critical situation finds a power to win. But at last ghoul one fails more often.

Last edited:
just a friendly reminder that if you have never watched Jellyfish Princess, then you should get out of your comfort zone and try a truly amazing and heartfelt series.
and if the idea of a dude who likes to cross-dress turns you off
tumblr_m8sh32q9hw1r6ulqto1_500.png

ya'lls is ignant.

hey guys, sorry for double posting, but I just watched the first episode of Garo Honoo No Kokuin, unfortunately RAW.

not bad. the opening is kinda animu and the artstyle for it is kinda weird, but I think I'll grow to love it.

and the first episode started strong. and by that I mean one of the most metal childbirths I have ever seen. also lots of naked Herman. the action scenes looked really good and the CG really blends well and gives the makai knights a really nice otherworldly feel. the artstyle is different and stylized but I felt it looked good. except for that kid in the beginning of the episode, he looked really weird. voices sounded great, albeit that priest's voice does NOT match his face. like, at all. ending theme was nice and fast paced albeit mainly stills of Garo and Zero.

all in all, nice start of the series. characters are introduced and they didn't beat around the bush to bring in some really nice scenes and fights.
b6488ee3.gif

NOW IF ONLY CRUNCHY OR HULU WOULD PICK THIS SERIES UP AND GET IT SUBBED!

godammit I want to support this series!

I was thinking if I should recomend Berserk, considering that is a quite famous manga.

Considering how happy I am after the last published chapter, let's go.

If you liked the anime, read the manga. The story there is much better and the plot expands a lot. And shit really goes down there.

Note: Some violence
berserk-27062.jpg

berserk-1590861.jpg

"Well, shit..."
berserk-1592044.jpg

berserk-1592778.jpg

berserk-1593040.jpg

I can't put the calmer moments without spoiling too much.

Since Miura takes an etenity and a half to draw a page, an obvious bad point about this manga is the slow progression (20 years!!). A silverlining is that is quite interesting to see the art progression and the directions that the manga goes that comes with the author's aging. Plague of Gripes said once that you don't have to establish how a story will go since the beginning.

Don't pick it up if:

-You have problems with ultra-violence, gore or rape.
-If you are an impatient reader. Recent chapters take months to publish. It is the Song of Ice and Fire of mangas.

Edit: Kentarou Miura

tumblr_ncx3jf4MrK1qgxw6eo1_1280.png

tumblr_ncx3jf4MrK1qgxw6eo2_1280.png

Last edited:
Berserk is great, it's about a guy with a big sword and a shitty life.

how badass was it when he was killing the SEA GOD from the inside and then almost got killed by the thing's heartbeat.

Here's how I feel about Berserk.

I'm not going to say that it sucks. I know it doesn't suck, it's old and legendary fiction that's influenced a lot of media over the past twenty years. If I were to start reading or watching it now I know that I would greatly enjoy it.
Berserk shares the same aesthetic and setting that I love in games like Dark Souls and Dragon's Dogma.

However, I refuse to get into it for a personal reason.
I absolutely abhor the use of rape as drama, and Berserk does this excessively. I know that the whole is littered with it and honestly it disgusts me. It's unnecessary and it deters me greatly even though I know I'd enjoy the story.
I've only made an exception to Hellsing and Quinton Tarantino Films, Berserk would probably be the third.
To that end I'm not going to start Berserk until it's finished or the creator dies.

In short, Berserk is good but why's it gotta be so nasty?
Also I heard that the creator is a sack of shit.

Is anyone here excited to watch the new trigger show?
"When Supernatural Battles Became Commonplace"? I don't know. It doesn't really look like previous Trigger/Gainax shows and more like standard mainstream harem anime shows, but I'll give it a try on Crunchyroll. If it wasn't for Trigger making it, then I don't think I'd have been interested.

If it wasn't for Trigger making it, then I don't think I'd have been interested.

Yeah I actually feel the same way, doesn't look like it has as much creativity as LWA and Kill la Kill but I'll still check it out.
Also I think Psycho Pass 2 is this season?

Psycho-Pass is just a cool series in general.

To that end I'm not going to start Berserk until it's finished or the creator dies.

In short, Berserk is good but why's it gotta be so nasty?
Also I heard that the creator is a sack of shit.
I'm kinda in the same boat hurr with you on that one. my best friend loves Berserk and he says it's excruciating waiting for a new chapter.

and eh, Berserk has some dark elements to it, but I would say it's not the nastiest.
I would give that to Gantz.

In general I don't watch/read stuff that isn't finished, partly because I don't want to be left wanting more of a series that might never conclude, but also because waiting for a while after a series is finished before starting it means you can forget some of the spoilers that you inevitably run across while it's ongoing.

and waiting for an ongoing series to update, especially if it's really good, is so stressful.

;A; lookin' at you Monster Musume....

and waiting for an ongoing series to update, especially if it's really good, is so stressful.

;A; lookin' at you Monster Musume....

For the people who don't know what the Baron is talking about.

t002.jpg

n003.jpg

n001.jpg

Monster Musume

It is harem and really shameless fan-service with monster girls.

But it is really entertaining harem and shameless fanservice, (it IS a best-seller).

Nothing too cerebral and melodramatic.

The manga's author is a japanese ZONE. He has started with hentai and now, well... Ecchi.

My only complaint is the Gary Stuness of he main character (in relation of being a super upstanding, pure hearted human being who never falters). Still, harem mangas either have total losers or total winners. Hard to balance out and since the main focus is the girls, it is forgivable.

Another work from the author:

f004-005.jpg

j001.jpg

v005.jpg

12 Beast:

It is harem and really shameless fan-service with monster girls. But romance is not the focus of this manga, it is action/adventure.

Main character is more flawed, it is a plus to me.

Good mangas with a "just for fun" mind setting.

in my defense, I am someone who prefers great characters over good writing and action, as the characters can make both worth it in the long run.

with MM, it has lots of really good and entertaining characters each with their own pros and cons that add to them as characters.

and there is some good reasons for the ecchi, one of them is where it reveals why some characters don't exactly wear bras because of species reasons. dat dryad chapter though...

and to me, the MC AKA "Darling" is less of a gary stu (Sena from Tenchi Muyo GXP is a better example of that) and more of an everyman. plus, he's not insufferable like many other harem anime mains.

EDIT:
there have actually been commercials for this manga too.
the most recent one.

Last edited:
in my defense, I am someone who prefers great characters over good writing and action, as the characters can make both worth it in the long run.

with MM, it has lots of really good and entertaining characters each with their own pros and cons that add to them as characters.

and there is some good reasons for the ecchi, one of them is where it reveals why some characters don't exactly wear bras because of species reasons. dat dryad chapter though...

and to me, the MC AKA "Darling" is less of a gary stu (Sena from Tenchi Muyo GXP is a better example of that) and more of an everyman. plus, he's not insufferable like many other harem anime mains.

EDIT:
there have actually been commercials for this manga too.
the most recent one.

"Is Japan sick or what?!"

The funniest thing is that it was the author himself that said that.

the author is so self depreciating and yet he's also extremely humble.

I really hope he's gonna continue working on the series and I eagerly await each and every chapter he releases.

unfortunately I can never find his stuff at conventions. :(

EDIT:

and even though I know she won't be the one the MC picks, I really love Cerea. she's my absolute favorite and just a big sweet-heart. I love her way too much.

On to Fall shows ...

Log Horizon S2 - 1

Definitely enjoyed this episode. The meat of the episode definitely scratched that Log Horizon itch for me and as a person who's only been exposed to the anime I came away satisfied with the experience. Glad to see that the tone of the series hasn't changed all that much due to the change in studios though other impressions of the show that I've read in other places seem to cite some significant shifts in the way this first episode was handled in the source material. They seem to be hurrying or skipping some elements that were present there. We'll see how this effects things when all is said and done.

Fate/Stay Night (2014) 00 -

I sincerely enjoyed this. It goes without saying that the Ufotable seal of quality is written all over this series and everything from the quality of the effects, art, and animation style all have their signature look and feel. It legitimately felt like I was watching something with the production values of a movie here. I can't even imagine the amount of money that must be funding this project to get to the quality they're operating at. But as this new adaptation for the series is based on the second route of the VN I'm glad that they went ahead and decided to adapt the prologue arc while they were at it, if for no other reason than to give us a glimpse at the series this could have been had Rin been the main character instead.

As an introductory episode though I think I can safely say that it started out stronger than Fate/Zero did in comparison. There was distinctly more things actually "happening" during its course and I think the lack of Urobuchi's heavy handed style of exposition was obvious in the more focused progression of events. Though given that Stay Night doesn't attempt to really focus in on as many different perspectives I guess that's a pretty obvious result.

All and all, as a fan of the VN, I'm really looking forward to seeing how this one progresses. Next week apparently is another hour long episode.

and there is some good reasons for the ecchi, one of them is where it reveals why some characters don't exactly wear bras because of species reasons.

I'm a fan of MM but this comment is a bit of a stretch. The "reason" for the Ecchi shouldn't go beyond the author wanting to draw it and the fans eating it up. Let's not to try to justify it, lol.

I'm a fan of MM but this comment is a bit of a stretch. The "reason" for the Ecchi shouldn't go beyond the author wanting to draw it and the fans eating it up. Let's not to try to justify it, lol.
I never meant it as ALL. just some of them, like the aforementioned bra scenario. I know why some ecchis go ecchi, but that one scene feels like it was well placed.

now if I said that about ecchis like Sekirei then yes, I would be completely wrong in every regard...
even though I also really like sekirei.

sorry for double posting, but I just learned Funimation picked up the Garo anime!

EDIT:
seriously you guys, I know I've been harping on this series a lot. it's just that this series could be something that could eventually lead to tokusatsu shows being dubbed over here in America. it's kind of a big deal to me.

Last edited:
and even though I know she won't be the one the MC picks, I really love Cerea. she's my absolute favorite and just a big sweet-heart. I love her way too much.

Polite, calm, collected, mannered, considerate. She has the most wife qualities to me.

Mia is in a close second place. Passion and dedication are her strongest qualities (she sucks at cooking but keeps trying).

About Berserk. As it happens with any long run series it inevitably falls in a choice: To keep straight or a change.

If more of the same: "Bah, it is always rape, gore, despair, hopelesness and more rape. Dropping it."

If having a change: "Bah, Miura betrayed us with hippie bullshit because that moe crap game. Dropping it."

There is a lot of both opinions.

To end my talk of both mangas, first a (beautifull spoilers page) of Berserk + Monster Musumes.

berserk-3084157.jpg

Doujinshi that is the dream (not of that type) of some young hearts:

armor-berserk-berserker-armor-blood-cape-comic-crossover-cuts-devil-may-cry-dragonslayer-sword-guts-huge-weapon-injury-katana-mugen-male-5353ac339b697.jpg

berserk-berserker-armor-black-hair-blue-eyes-buront-cape-comic-crossover-dark-skin-devil-may-cry-dragonslayer-sword-elf-elvaan-final-fan-5353aa966dc64.jpg

Some translated pages posted on Danbooru, a NSFW site because of the ads: https://danbooru.donmai.us/pools/1763

The original artist's page: http://www.pixiv.net/member.php?id=91059 there are more chapters there.

Last edited:
Polite, calm, collected, mannered, considerate. She has the most wife qualities to me.

Mia is in a close second place. Passion and dedication are her strongest qualities (she sucks at cooking but keeps trying).

Cerea is the best....
JUST LOOK AT THIS IMAGE!
149cy6e.jpg

LOOK AT HOW CUTE SHE IS! SHE IS SO ADORABLE!

also whenever I say mention my favorite character is a centaur to people, they're always like "uh, you know she's half horse right?"

to which I respond with: "NO! I totally didn't know that! holy shit! thank you for pointing that out! now that I look at the other characters more closely, I'm seeing tons of things about them too! like, one of the girls doesnt have legs and is half snake! and one if half fish! holy shit!"

Back