• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Project Annie...In Motion!

Thank you kindly.

Oh man I forgot that Sagan becomes part of Annie's dress in her Season 2 form! Now I can only imagine Sagan becoming huge and eating Annie to transform.
i0bqIZwwz6p5v.gif

NOW I WANT SAMSON AND FILIA DOING SOMETHING ANIMATED LIKE THAT DAMMIT!

NOW I WANT SAMSON AND FILIA DOING SOMETHING ANIMATED LIKE THAT DAMMIT!
you mean like lone character samson?
DLC_Samson.png

Hey peeps. So I'm actually not done working on it yet, but I'm going to just go ahead and share the next idle animation with you guys anyways :P

Something to take note of is that the following animation actually plays back slower than intended. I don't have a lot of options when I export it as a gif, meaning I can't really control the frame rate. At this point it's not that big of a deal, just keep in mind that it's supposed to be animating faster than it appears to be.

AnnieIdleFinalOpt.gif

I'll probably step away from it for a bit, but sometime in the next couple of days I'll upload a newer version of the same idle once I've finished and cleaned up all of the frames.

Last edited:
Annie's body looks like it's turning independently of her head, but other that it looks fantastic.

I can't wait to see the finished product.

Btw i did that animation for fun...i'm wondering how does stuff work around here?

Annie's body looks like it's turning independently of her head, but other that it looks fantastic.

That's because it IS turning independently of her head :P

But yes, part of what I need to finish is the interaction between the chest and head. I'm going to make the head rotate a tiny bit as the chest rotates while also making the chest rotate a little less. Other than that though, it probably won't look too different from how it already is. The overall idea is that while her body is moving fast and somewhat erratically, certain parts (such as her head and left hand) remain steady and focused on the opponent.

Btw i did that animation for fun...i'm wondering how does stuff work around here?

What exactly do you mean? I'm not quite sure what you're asking :P

Btw, I still like to encourage people to critique/give feedback. Say whatever you like, anything and everything is always helpful.

Hey peeps. So I'm actually not done working on it yet, but I'm going to just go ahead and share the next idle animation with you guys anyways :P

Something to take note of is that the following animation actually plays back slower than intended. I don't have a lot of options when I export it as a gif, meaning I can't really control the frame rate. At this point it's not that big of a deal, just keep in mind that it's supposed to be animating faster than it appears to be.

Annie-mation

I'll probably step away from it for a bit, but sometime in the next couple of days I'll upload a newer version of the same idle once I've finished and cleaned up all of the frames.

Looks great! Animating those fingers would have driven me crazy...^^;

I do think if we do go for annie's sword giving the impression that it does have weight, I think the blade should be pointing down in that pose. right now in that pose, it looks like a heavy sword would be murder on her hand.

Looks great! Animating those fingers would have driven me crazy...^^;

I actually animated the hands several times before getting to the version I posted. I over-animated the fingers the first time and, even though the animation looked good, it felt really unnatural. Though I might use the old hand animation to alter the pose and have her rocking out on a guitar if I have the time lol

Reactions: Kai and southpawper
Well dawg howdy look what I stumbled upon... This is some gold mine material right here! An attempt to revive the Annie hype and make things actually happen? Talk about awesome! I've been an Annie fan from the very beginning and sheesh it feels so good to see that there's stuff going on for the Skullgirl Slayer.

I love all the animations thus far, I really wish I had some kind of experience making animations. I can art a little bit, but not animate. I'm pretty terrible at it. I am all for adding suggestions for animations that people might want to do.

Regardless, I will most def be stalking this thread <3

I think she's moving too much, I'd expect to see a slower and more relaxed stance for her (kinda like parasoul's). I'd prefer if she looked like she's paying attention to everything surrounding her and not just the opponent.

What exactly do you mean? I'm not quite sure what you're asking :P
haha, sorry. It seems like some rather legit stuff going on around here. With people choosing parts that they want to do it feels like I almost need permission to do something right now.

Oh men.. I woke up and all this have happened alreay..

@Skullmageddon
Your idle animation looks awesome so far!, her animation looks fluid and her stance fits her personailty.
I guess you already took to count all the suggestions from the forum, the final animation will look better but so far it's great!

Reactions: DDB
I think she's moving too much, I'd expect to see a slower and more relaxed stance for her (kinda like parasoul's). I'd prefer if she looked like she's paying attention to everything surrounding her and not just the opponent.

I could see a slower, more relaxed stance working really well. I already tried that though, which is why I wanted to try something completely different (something more fast and energetic to reflect her speed and rush down characteristics). In the end all I can do is make assumptions about her character, meaning there will always be disagreement over what her character is like. The only way things can ever be made certain is if someone from LabZ steps in and spells everything out for us :P

haha, sorry. It seems like some rather legit stuff going on around here. With people choosing parts that they want to do it feels like I almost need permission to do something right now.

Well it's not like anything "official" is happening around here, so if you want to do something just go ahead and do it! We'd all love to see everything and anything that you have to share!

Huh!? Where the hell did this come from!? Why is it the greatest thing I've ever seen!?

Skullmageddon did it, of course.

Nightphyre asked for it a couple of weeks ago, so I up n' made it for him :P

I waited until yesterday to post it anywhere online so he'd have a little alone time with it, but I figured I might as well at least put it up on DA for others to see.

You guys rock.

It's like each of you working are a specific Raccoon City Police Squad... Or something...

Hah hah... I'll just leave...

Reactions: southpawper
Someone thought that site layout is a good idea. He was mistaken.

Another work-in-progress.

It's lookin' good man! The follow through on the swing is fantastic so far and I'm glad you decided to keep that hold on the rest of the body after the swing. It's important to allow parts of the body to hold at times, otherwise it's really easy to over-animate something. Keep going in this direction and it'll look great!

I do have one thing I want to point out, and that's the rotation of her skirt. I know you're still in the clean-up phase, but at the moment it almost looks like it's continuously rotating. It's hard to point things out when this is our most direct form of communication and critiquing before something is done is not always the most helpful, so I'll just leave my comment at that. Can't wait till it's done!

p.s. I'm not sure how much you've noticed this, but a lot of her design pulls from a space-oriented motif of things like flying saucers, planets, etc. Her skirt resembles a stereotypical flying saucer and even her puffy shoulders have definitively round corners and a hard crease through the middle that resembles a flying saucer-like shape. Her braided hair also pulls somewhat from this motif. If you take a look at my idles you'll notice that one of the few things I somewhat changed in the design is the shape at the end of both braids. It's hard to tell exactly what the intent of that shape is from what little concept work we have of Annie, but I get the impression that they are meant to resemble the three corners of a star. This is just an assumption and I'll probably tone them down a bit in my most recent idle, but I thought it was worth pointing this out.

Reactions: southpawper and DDB
Thanks! I agree with the skirt thing, I'll try to fix it.

And those puffy shoulders and other round parts make more sense now so I'll adjust those too. Her braids are still a bit confusing but I'll look at how you redesigned them.

are the annie gifs you guys are making the actual size of the canvas you are working on in photoshop? if not, what is the size of the canvas you animators are working on? about how many pixels tall is annie in your animations? I want to try this out so i want to try to keep some uniformity if this ever goes anywhere.

Reactions: Kai and DDB