• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Any Psychonauts fans here?

Undeadtoon

Still an amatuer Peacock
Reaction score
Steam
Undeadtoon08
PSN
ScarecrowFanatic
Peacock Big Band Eliza
For those that don't know, the most excellent game Psychonauts is a platformer created by Tim Schafer and starring the voice of Richard Horvitz as Raz. The game was released forMicrosoft Windows, Xbox and PlayStation 2. It was released on Steam on October 11, 2006, as an Xbox Original through Xbox Live Marketplace, and on the GameTap subscription service. On November 5, 2009, Psychonauts became available through the online distribution serviceGOG.com through their partnership with Majesco. In September 2011, an OS X port was released, with a Linux port released through the Humble Indie Bundle V on May 2012. The PlayStation 2 version was re-released on PlayStation Network on August 28, 2012.

Psychonauts is based on the character Raz, a young boy gifted with psychic abilities who runs away from the circus to try to sneak into a summer camp for those with similar powers in order to become a "Psychonaut", a spy with psychic abilities. He finds that there is a sinister plot occurring at the camp that only he can stop. The game is centered on the strange and imaginative minds of various characters that Raz enters as a Psychonaut-in-training/"Psycadet" in order to help them overcome their fears or memories of their past, so as to gain their help and progress in the game. Raz gains use of several psychic abilities during the game that are used for both attacking foes and solving puzzles.

Anyway, so is anybody here a fan?

inb4 "when's Psychonauts 2" :PUN:

Anyway, Lungfishopolis and Black Velvetopia will always be my favorite mental worlds.

Reactions: Undeadtoon
Got this game a long time ago, still have not played it yet.

I am a fan. I like fandango better, but definitely a fan.

An insanely great videogame, with great story, gameplay and amazing characters. Loved by the critics and those of us lucky enough to know and play it. Never understood why it sold so little when it came out....

An insanely great videogame, with great story, gameplay and amazing characters. Loved by the critics and those of us lucky enough to know and play it. Never understood why it sold so little when it came out....
If memory serves me correct it was advertising fault or Microsoft. Ads kept running on kid channels when this wasn't a kid game and Microsoft dropped Doublefine when they wanted certain things that Schaeffer specifically said they (Doublefine) wouldn't do.

Reactions: chickenwithtie
I loves me some Psychonauts.

I could never get past the theatre lady solely because I had no clue what to do.

I need to just sit down and play it again.

uuuh, havent started it again.

that was like, 8th grade, and I don't even think I have the save in any of my old memory cards.

I appreciate the offer though. thank you.

I absolutely love this game when it first came out. My favorite level has to be the Milkman Conspiracy and those G mens.
"I am the milkman, my milk is delicious."
So glad I got the game on steam.

Love it.

Wouldn't trust Tim to properly manage a sequel unless he was under a publisher's guidance.

any publisher besides Majesco.

We want the game to succeed you know.

I admit my favorite level was Milkman Conspiracy. My favorite Villain was Doctor Loboto.

My favorite scenes are probably:
Dr. Loboto: Well, I've reviewed your chart, little girl. The bad news is, we're going to have to remove your brain... strap it into an armored battle tank, and have it shoot down innocent civilians with its concentrated psychic death beam!
Lili: I'm gonna kill you so much.
Dr. Loboto: The good news is that your insurance is going to cover the whole thing. So! ... Hey, is it getting warm in here?
Lili: No, I'm trying to set you on fire through this stupid hat!
Dr. Loboto: What a delightfully mean little brain you have! Just what we want! Here, do me a favor. Tell me if this smells like... YOUR DOOM! Heh heh!
Lili: I-I can't smell anything.
Dr. Loboto: Curses! You're a stubborn little ball of phlegm, ain't ya? Well, that head cold won't protect you forever, little girl, and when it's gone you'll be sneezing a different tune. A tune in the key of... brains! HAAA HA HA!

Or really any quote that involves the G-men

Remember when Notch said he would fund the sequel, then backed out.

Yes. In his defense, Schafer mentioned it would cost a crapton of money.

Yes. In his defense, Schafer mentioned it would cost a crapton of money.
Maybe, but at the time he made way more money on minecraft then it would take to make the sequel.

Psychonauts is a great game, filled to the brim with character, good humor, interesting abilities, unique worlds, and fantastic level design. Wish there were more games like it around these days.

Notch was throwing around his money with the mindset of a successful indie developer. He had no idea what a serious big budget game like Psychonauts 2 would cost, and to no one's surprise he couldn't pay up when he found out the real costs.