• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

ArcheBlade thread

Reaction score
Website
southpawper.deviantart.com
Valentine Cerebella Parasoul
Here we discuss the new free-to-play 3D fighting game on Steam. What do you guys think of it? I only just started playing last night but it seems really fun when you can manage to join a server.

Steam page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/207230/

Gameplay video:

My favorite character so far is Renoah:
57725-800.jpg

There's just something about redheads with guns...lol...<3

She's got a set of pistols for her main attacks, a shotgun for air attacks, and a sniper rifle for her specials. She even tosses grenades in one of her combos. When you run out of ammo you have to reload or she switches to melee attacks.

She's mostly a ranged character although she has a few moves/combos she can use when opponents get in close. I like that you can actually aim with the guns like in a third-person shooter, especially in a fighting game like this. Makes her controls really fun and familiar for me.

Sniping is great, and you can get double kills with one shot if you manage to line the targets up.

If they catch her off guard she gets totally destroyed by tanks and rushdown fighters, especially hammer girl, lol.

Anyone else try this game out?

This Tiac/Tlac is like thor, captain america and iron man fused into one being

damn!

Reactions: southpawper
My biggest issue with this game from what I've heard at least, is that it has no match making in it which sounds like it would make it a real pain in the arse to actually play with other people. That's a shame to as it seems like it could be kinda fun.

My biggest issue with this game from what I've heard at least, is that it has no match making in it which sounds like it would make it a real pain in the arse to actually play with other people. That's a shame to as it seems like it could be kinda fun.

The server rooms have ranks, so you have to be a certain rank to join certain rooms. So far it seems okay, it's just that you gotta scroll through a bunch of empty ones and full ones, or filter them out.

~

Edit: On another note...

Damn, Ridika is packin'. Ended up purchasing her too with the in-game currency. (You can unlock all the characters for free if you just grind for the coins) Dat idle tho...and dat bunny suit... XD

I also got Renoah's school uniform, and certain armor pieces only seem to work with it, but it doesn't give you too much advantage as far as I can tell.

Last edited:
Decided to try it out on a whimsy. Looks okay for a free game but I have three things I wanna nitpick real hard...okay maybe four?

First is the godawful voice acting. It's honestly just grating to listen to, especially with the noisier characters. I honestly hope there's an option to turn off voices at some point in the future for those of us that don't like it.

The second is that game's controls feel...off somehow? The only glaring one I can point out is that certain characters have SP moves that need you to hold down Alt for longer than usual. This just throws off my pacing a whole lot because I'm a lot more used to responsive controls.

Third is the lack of easy access to Champion stats. I honestly have to cycle across each characters separately in Training mode when they could just have the stats show up elsewhere. I can just write down all the info myself, but it's something that's giving me difficulty in choosing what character to pick up.

Last one is not really a criticism, but one I'm just irritated by: Windowed Fullscreen where? :V
I'm just too used to tabbing out of games when I want to look something up, and switching in and out of Fullscreen just annoys me.

Decided to try it out on a whimsy. Looks okay for a free game but I have three things I wanna nitpick real hard...okay maybe four?

First is the godawful voice acting. It's honestly just grating to listen to, especially with the noisier characters. I honestly hope there's an option to turn off voices at some point in the future for those of us that don't like it.

The second is that game's controls feel...off somehow? The only glaring one I can point out is that certain characters have SP moves that need you to hold down Alt for longer than usual. This just throws off my pacing a whole lot because I'm a lot more used to responsive controls.

Third is the lack of easy access to Champion stats. I honestly have to cycle across each characters separately in Training mode when they could just have the stats show up elsewhere. I can just write down all the info myself, but it's something that's giving me difficulty in choosing what character to pick up.

Last one is not really a criticism, but one I'm just irritated by: Windowed Fullscreen where? :V
I'm just too used to tabbing out of games when I want to look something up, and switching in and out of Fullscreen just annoys me.

I would probably say if you like the concept of Archeblade just wait for and check out the yet to be released free to play game form Namco called Rise of Incarnates. The website and chance to sign up for the alpha is here http://www.riseofincarnates.com/

It's actually being made with the same combat system as the Gundam Extreme Versus Full Boost game and the others in that series, which is also very similar to the Virtual On series. But it looks like a much much more polished version of Archeblade's concept.

Not quite the same as ArcheBlade and I don't live in the US. Still, nice to see Namco Bandai is finallly sending a game like that to the west.

It's not that I necessarily dislike ArcheBlade itself as a whole. The game's concept is actually solid and the way they implemented certain fighting game mechanics is actually sound, but I definitely feel the game definitely needs a lot of brushing up. It can be a good game, but I don't think it's quite there as it is just yet.

As it is now, it just feels clunky, the game's pacing is awkward, the controls can feel unresponsive at times (see aforementioned issue about certain Power Attack needing you to hold Alt) and the audio direction is awful. It might have brought interesting to the table, but it isn't making a good first impression to me.

Nothing like a fighting game

It was fun when I played the Early Access version but I stopped playing when I felt like I pretty much already got good at my character (Renoah the Sniper) and I only played for 10 hours or so

Game runs like shit too

Well, as I said, if you like the concepts behind Archeblade then a close second that'll be more polished would probably be Rise of Incarnates. Not sure when precisely it'll be out in the states but it'll be free to play and it will supposedly be out sometime this year. I'm just hoping they have a lot more characters to chose from than just the four they show in the trailer and stuff.

Here's a video from the Indiegogo campaign. They actually had a Kickstarter campaign before that but it failed and they refunded everyone. This newer Indiegogo one raised about $16,000 of the $80,000 goal. I wish I knew about this game sooner lol, I missed like a year or two's worth of hype and fandom. I can't even find a place to discuss the game other than the Steam forums. The Archeblade Subreddit gets even less traffic than the Skullgirls Subreddit. The fanbase is REALLY tiny.^^; Such an awesome game though, wish there were more people playing.

I installed it a while ago but I heard that it was a P2W type of game. And plus I have to buy one of the characters or something?

I haven't tried it yet, though.

I installed it a while ago but I heard that it was a P2W type of game. And plus I have to buy one of the characters or something?

There's a lot of debate about the P2W stuff. The stat differences on items are really small though, and I haven't noticed any difference when I'm actually playing. I picked all the speed items for Renoah, but I can't tell if she's any faster. For me it's just how they look, and I swap between weapons based on what costume she's wearing.

All the characters can be bought using the free in-game currency ('Gold' I think). It's only the costumes and certain items that have to be bought with cash ('Gems').

I heard that the gold you get is small though.

I heard that the gold you get is small though.

You start off with enough to buy 2 or 3 characters, and you can go to the training mode to test all of them out first before you decide which one to get. I'm having a lot of fun with it though so for me it's not much of a grind and I don't keep track of what I get. I only use like 2 characters anyway so I'm not rushing to get more gold.

I see... how's the community? Are they nice? Or are they as mean and rude as the L4D "community"?

I see... how's the community? Are they nice? Or are they as mean and rude as the L4D "community"?

I don't have much experience with the L4D community lol, but it actually reminds me of the Skullgirls community, on a much, much smaller scale. There's plenty of nice and helpful people along with the some of the more rugged trash-talkers. I guess it depends on who you're playing with. There seem to be a lot of new players though, so you probably won't feel out of place. I'm a new player myself, and so far the community seems fine, when I can find them.

I see. You should add me on Steam so we can play together some time.

Oh and to answer the part about the L4D community, it's basically CoD. But with a lot of Rochelle bashing and Zoey praising. Not to mention a lot of kicking for absolutely no reason.

Sent, don't worry about it. I plan on using Elika, she looks cool. Maybe Renny... but I'll just stick with one person for now.

How would you describe the gameplay? Is it like a MOBA of some sort?

Hm...that's tough to describe actually. It's a mix of a lot of things.

Like, the moves and combos are pretty simple to perform, almost like a brawler, but you still have the setups, mix-ups, zoning, etc., all the strategies of a traditional fighting game, and yet you have to be pretty precise with your aiming like in a twitch shooter, since it's in 3D space, and there's pretty much zero lock-on for the most part.

Most modern FPSs like COD or Halo have an auto lock-on whenever you get close enough to melee, so your melee always connects, but in this game you can easily miss your target if you aren't careful. Some moves launch your character in a certain direction and/or attacks in a certain angle so you always have to be mindful of your positioning. Try using Renny in training and see how she jumps forward with left click and turns slightly to the right and punches. It's not in a straight line like you'd expect. It's kind of weird and it threw me off at first, but you'll get the hang of it the longer you play that character.

I think of it as a 3D fighting game that has simple combos but puts more emphasis on positioning, while also having many FPS mechanics like aiming/shooting, flanking, teamwork, etc. If there were mobs I would definitely call it an 'Action MOBA'. There's no leveling up though in-game, or any of the other RPG stuff like in LoL or DOTA 2. Leveling up and items happen outside the arena.

Each character plays differently and is pretty unique, like Skullgirls. Renoah pretty much plays like an FPS game, while Elika seems more like a traditional rushdown fighter or brawler. There are even charge/stance/trap characters I think. Just try them out.

I've been playing this one for a while, mainly with Renny, I like it well enough, but I just can't be bother with it half the time.

I'm starting to hate Renoah, but it could be because I play Cezanne, who is not very mobile. I feel like I need to pick up another character just so that Renoah is so stupid to deal with.

But for me, I don't mind dying to basically any other character in this game, but if it's because of Renoah, I go into an internal hissy fit. Like fuck, everyone's getting their shit wrecked in this group fight, but the one who comes out on top is the bitch who was farthest away from it. I don't know why everyone ignores her. At that point, she should be the rhino in the room. If I could chase her down and make her dumb sniping game less effective, it'd be the bees knees, but Cezanne can't move for shit.

EDIT: I also think Renoah's "Q" is too good. You can't dodge it, you can't block it, it interrupts whatever you're doing, and it does lot of damage (to me, anyway). Anyone else think that's a little bullshit?

I'm starting to hate Renoah, but it could be because I play Cezanne, who is not very mobile. I feel like I need to pick up another character just so that Renoah is so stupid to deal with.

But for me, I don't mind dying to basically any other character in this game, but if it's because of Renoah, I go into an internal hissy fit. Like fuck, everyone's getting their shit wrecked in this group fight, but the one who comes out on top is the bitch who was farthest away from it. I don't know why everyone ignores her. At that point, she should be the rhino in the room. If I could chase her down and make her dumb sniping game less effective, it'd be the bees knees, but Cezanne can't move for shit.

LOL! That's so true, everyone seems to ignore Renoah and just goes after the closest guy! Renoah is like the slowest character though and she gets wrecked by pretty much every character with a couple of combos. Cezanne is actually faster than her, and when she tries to back away and shoot at you her speed takes a nosedive. Cezanne is actually one of the harder characters for me to deal with once he makes his mind up to go after Renoah, plus he's got those far reaching melee attacks and that invulnerable ability.

I'd say Valle is the quickest Anti-Renoah solution though. On top of being able to heal herself and summon armor, her super speed and dat hammer just destroy Renoah. I usually accept my fate once she notices me lol.

That big Akuma guy with the sword is also a pain to deal with, because he can go invulnerable for a while and Renoah can't outrun him, plus he has silly amounts of health and damage.

Y'know, I don't actually use Cezanne's shift ability that much. I should use it more.

First, off I'd like to say: OMG someone in the SG community actually plays ArcheBlade. I've been playing the game since it came out last year and haven't anybody to play with. Second: Glad to hear there are actually some people enjoying the game. I love it and am glad to see more support for it, especially from the SG community.

Well I finally got some time to play and picked up Valle. Spin2Win.

But first! More criticisms!
Netcode. Good god it's atrocious. I'd have people in range of hammer bashing and they just get out scot free. I'm not talking invincibility like Sewon (the good ones are annoying as hell) and other Valles, but characters like Renny who are out of stamina and were well in range of smashing.
Combo counter not counting actual combos. I'm pretty sure it's impossible to get a true 100-hit combo for the achievement without that kind of leniency, but it also withdraws vital information on whether you landed a true combo or if your opponent just forgot to block. It's been the cause of my death a few times...

With those complaints out of the way, currently sticking to Naga's Pit FFA atm. It's pretty fun as long as Renoah doesn't show up.
It's annoying as hell when she can just build up RP by shooting at people from far away and unleash a move that you absolutely can't avoid without invincibility. I've actually made it a point to kill Renoahs on sight in FFAs because of it.

My gripe with Archeblade is that I can usually use Xpadder or something with games that don't necessarily support controllers and manage (S4League, UT2k4, etc)

HOWEVER, Archeblade's controller support is abysmal, considering it's using the Unreal3 engine (which supports controllers beautifully, usually). I can't invert Y-axis on it, I can't remap controls, and the layout is awkward as fuck. Why the bloody hell are essential functions mapped to the D-Pad!? Jesus fuck, guys.

I like what it is, and I'd love to play with people, but they really need to do something for the controller-inclined.

YES! THIS! I really wanna use a controller but holy fuck is it impossible.

YES! THIS! I really wanna use a controller but holy fuck is it impossible.
SRSLY. Unreal3 has built-in support. Why not exploit it? Why leave it there as a formality when you can't remap jack shit!?

At least UT3 let you remap buttons!

Welp, time to bullet point some bullshit about Renoah now that I've expanded past FFA.

- Acts as a force multiplier in teams when played right. Played a match on Nether Dale with teams stacked with Renoahs. Capturing the central control point? You get sniped to hell and back because you're gonna get sniped with full rifle charges all the way across the map. Team Deathmatch? Just build up RP, unleash Bullet Rain. Bam! You've instantly swung the fight in your teams' favor by using an ability that anyone without any form invincibility can't dodge, and only one character has "free" invincibility.

- Doesn't have to commit to melee. You absolutely have to play a character that can close the distance against Renoah or you're screwed as she'll just zone you out with her pistols all day, build up RP and ruin everyone's day, and there's no guarantee you'll nail her as the netcode is pretty damn shoddy. I she's pretty damn squishy, but she's also pretty damn ridiculous because if you ignore her for so much as a second, she just hangs back and builds up RP to ruin your teams' day.

Playing against Renoah isn't fun...until you catch one in sniping mode off guard, but I guess that only happens in low levels.

If you approach Renoah as if you were playing an FPS she's easier to deal with. Don't rush straight at her and give her free shots. The bullets aren't hitscan, so run zig-zag or strafe her while she's shooting, then rush her straight as she's reloading.

Alternate the strafing too. Like, instead of:

Left, right, left, right, left, right, left...

Try:

Left, right, right, left, right, left, left.

I don't recommend jumping repeatedly because the physics are pretty floaty so she has plenty of time to judge your trajectory and you don't have enough time to change course when you're in the air unless you're really high up. I always switch to sniper mode when people start jumping, even when they're up close because they just make things easier to hit.

~

In Netherdale, you just gotta capture the points. It takes Renoah forever to run around anywhere so just go after the other points instead of the ones in the middle. As long as you consistently have more points controlled than the other team, you're good to go.

Ridika can fly over the lava pits and Valle has sprint and healing/armor abilities, so Renoahs shouldn't pose a problem unless you've stopped to get distracted by them. When you stop to deal with them you just give them more RP for their lv 2.

~

Nagas Pit with four Renoahs.

Game was actually not fun for a moment there.

Like a good old Slayer free-for-all match.^^

~

Edit:

My gripe with Archeblade is that I can usually use Xpadder or something with games that don't necessarily support controllers and manage (S4League, UT2k4, etc)

HOWEVER, Archeblade's controller support is abysmal, considering it's using the Unreal3 engine (which supports controllers beautifully, usually). I can't invert Y-axis on it, I can't remap controls, and the layout is awkward as fuck. Why the bloody hell are essential functions mapped to the D-Pad!? Jesus fuck, guys.

I like what it is, and I'd love to play with people, but they really need to do something for the controller-inclined.

Oh boy, luckily I can get by with keyboard and mouse but damn do I wish I could use my trusty southpaw controls.^^;

I wish games that don't let you customize controls would let you disable the gamepad so you could use XPadder. It's really annoying.

Last edited:
Man, I'm loving Cezanne.

Them: "Oh no, health is low. Better start blocking."

Me: "Okay." *hits the "F" key*

KILL!