• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Assist choice: Updo vs. Hairball?

Updo or Hairball?

• Updo

Votes: 19 90.5%
  • Hairball

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Other (Post below)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

dama624

I only like sugar cookies
Reaction score
Website
dama624.tumblr.com
Squigly Filia
I think I've played enough of both Filia and Squigly to try putting them in a team. However, I don't know which of these two assists I'd like. I was thinking of Updo, since Squigly doesn't have many good reversals, and her [decent] reversal options use up the important lv.2 Dragon stance. However, after watching Yaya play, I've noticed how useful a lockdown assist like Hairball can be - it lets Squigly take advantage of her great mixup game.

Which would you recommend?

Updo is literally the only right choice. It's that good.

The smart choice by far is updo... Unfortunately. Squigly needs some reversal that hits airborn opponents and she has a run for easy updo confirms. Hairball would also be really good for her, but when making a choice between one or the other... It's updo.

Hairball acts as an effective combo extender, but Updo has just about every advantage that comes with a DP assist. If you can get a combo down in the lab that implements the Hairball assist well, it can be of use, but otherwise, I would recommend Updo.

Hairball acts as an effective combo extender, but Updo has just about every advantage that comes with a DP assist. If you can get a combo down in the lab that implements the Hairball assist well, it can be of use, but otherwise, I would recommend Updo.
like the individual said above about hairball being a good combo extender (especially if you have a silver chord available), it can be good if you use squigly as a pressure character or at the end of blockstrings in which you dont have a charge...but updo can do all that too to be honest. And damage-wise, updo is superior anyways i believe. defensive and offensive strategy can be used for it, but hairball isn't something you can call while in trouble.

And honestly...unsuspecting updo > silver chord = reason enough

BUT MY QUESTION for you all is: what assist do you like using from squigly??

P.S. Oh you know that Samson Boot (s.hk) + center stage makes for an instant combo no matter where you are?? it's great! follow up the otg (off the ground) with c.hp > silver chord and you'll be offfffffff!!

Combo extension isn't important for assists, it's what they do for you as a character. Question is, dp assist vs lockdown assist, which do you think you need?

Combo extension isn't important for assists, it's what they do for you as a character. Question is, dp assist vs lockdown assist, which do you think you need?
.....i never said it was, but at the same time im factoring in everything into the picture dude...>_>...and i answered the question. And i completely disagree anyways, it's very important.if you count combo extension/combo starting would be the same thing.

Bella st.mp is a great assist because it's good for combo extensions! Same way Samson Boot is great, although it does nothing for you in neutral!

/thread

Bella st.mp is a great assist because it's good for combo extensions! Same way Samson Boot is great, although it does nothing for you in neutral!

/thread
Or Pummel Horse? That was only useful for combos and Mike deemed it so broken that he took it out again.

There are quite a bunch of good lockdown assists (Filia c.MK, PW c.MP, tbc) that don't really have a use in neutral, so bleh.

The question is "Is the combo extension good enough to offset the missing help in the neutral game".
For non-assist reliant characters -say Fortune- this could very well easily be the case.

(Why this was supposedly the case for Pummel Horse @ Val assist I don't know, that doesn't look stupid good to me at all)

It was because she could load 3 poisons as pummel horse was happening. Kinda ridiculous

Yeah, but Val is notorious for requiring assist support to function.

Hit her Updo twice and she lacks a way to fall back on Butt/Copter/etc whatever she else uses,
and instead sits on some useless crap that only functions as a win-more (or has to call an assist that sits on 50% life).

You can also not call it when confirming off an assist hit, which is arguably Val's greatest strength in the first place.

I don't know and haven't played around with it, but I wouldn't call Lv3 Vial in combos worth the loss of what Doublebutt does for her.

I agree that its not that great of an assist at neutral, but removing a 2nd assist to use at neutral for 3 vials is probably worth it. If she lands a grab, reset or clean hit she'll load 3 and it's not beyond her ability to work with a single assist at neutral.

I guess we'll never know if it would have been a worthwhile assist or not.

Pummel Horse hit high and had so much hit-stun + stagger that you could do what-ever you wanted if it hit. I hope I don't have to explain why st.mp is a joke for an assist, unless we're talking about AC potential?

BUT MY QUESTION for you all is: what assist do you like using from squigly??
Drag n Bite all day ^_^ I haven't played around with all of Squigly's assists yet because I don't have MDE but Drag n Bite is perfect assist for Filia. Think of it as a Cerecopter and Hornet Bomber put together it pushes your opponent forward and ends in a re-stand allowing for some tricky cross up mix ups if you sandwich your opponent or plenty of time to mix them up when they block it. Plus you don't have to use your OTG to confirm off of it allowing for high damaging combos.

Edit: Updo over hairball because Updo is Filia's best assist for all characters and the only reason not to use it is if you already have Napalm Pillar as an assist.

For Squigly Updo will be an infinitely better choice as it'll cover one of her biggest weakness which is the lack of AA and reversal.

Reactions: mcpeanuts
hairball is fantastic as a pressure assist, something squig desperately needs.