• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Beast's Fury Kickstarter is Live!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's just a matter of looking at a developers credentials and personal history before backing a product.

For instance Broken Age. We knew Schafer would deliver with Broken Age. However...dude, has a history of being the absolute worst with money and deadlines. Both these things later came to be factors...but the game is definitely coming out. Skullgirls broke down the entire process by which they would create content and then kept their work transparent with their fans and backers. The vanilla game basically proves what they are capable of. Shovel night was created by ex employees of a company known to be capable of putting out good retro games...so it being basically perfect isn't a huge surprise.

Beast's Fury took a random guess and just said...we need this much money to make these characters with a very under-budgeted pic-chart...then came back after they underestimated and tried to get additional funds using youtube celebrities... Which bodes so very well. Other failed projects involved people running away with money and or not showing any initial gameplay whatsoever.

I firmly endorse backing out early at the earliest signs that something is awry. But yeah, choose your projects wisely and you'll be okay.

Last edited:
Reactions: chickenwithtie
Well, if you want gameplay talk, they also posted this
It is totally missing hit shake and camera shake, he still moves off his point a LOT, the physics are odd, and the fact that he goes back to vertical when hit by a knockdown move in the air is really weird.
I expected...more progress...

Reactions: Dragonage2ftw
He still moves off his point a LOT
By point, you mean like the little dot at the bottom of the character, where the character "is", right? How can you tell he moves off point?

I still cant get over how stangely animated Vincent's stance is.
Me neither. I thought I was the only one who found it weird though, nice to know it's not just me.

By point, you mean like the little dot at the bottom of the character, where the character "is", right? How can you tell he moves off point?
Link to timestamp.
Notice how he's mostly offscreen when he lands on his back? Since your point is what gets stopped at the edge, that means his point is at his feet instead of his chest.
And in the combo at like 31 sec, he's nearly entirely offscreen in the air as well.

Reactions: Zidiane
Someone needs to just tell them to quit their bullshit.

Out of all the upcoming indie FGs, this looks the least promising. Even though the animation on League of Fighters looks really bad, at least they have a suite of playable characters and have showcased the game at multiple cons.

This is popular again?
I guess you could call me the Skullfan of Beast's Fury 'cause all I'm here for is the art!
But seriously, I still wish they would have shown us what they expected to spend on certain parts of their game(like a pie chart) so that we could evaluate whether they were putting their money in the right places. However, I know they really won't do this, they'll just spend randomly on whatever they want; no direction, no path. Lord Dirk's art is pretty good, in fact, that's the only thing keeping me interested in the game.

he just threw a ground fireball, dashed up on hit and combo'd..... why.

*Crumple attacks are only one per combo
*Vincent's Super however can break this rule, and crumple as many times as it wants.

Why. Also a rush punch super causing crumple makes the punch seem kinda weak.

*Air hits are normally 1 Juggle Point, Leviathan Kick uses up 4 points however. Vincent has a maximum of 5 juggle points.

I don't know what this game is trying to be. It seems they want flashy combos, but are suggesting character specific juggle capabilities limited by the system. Are there any other fighting games that use juggle points? I know Yatagarasu does, but that's cuz it's a footsie heavy game that rewards juggle combos if the opponent sucks at parrying.

Are there any other fighting games that use juggle points? I know Yatagarasu does, but that's cuz it's a footsie heavy game that rewards juggle combos if the opponent sucks at parrying.
People thought Third Strike did for a long time, but it doesn't, it just scales air juggle time based on number of hits. Perhaps Yatagarasu doesn't use them either.
SF4 sorta uses them, in that (to gloss it over) each move can juggle after a maximum of X previous juggle hits, so juggle points works pretty well if you do it as "this move has X juggle points" instead of "you have six juggle points before you can't juggle anymore".
Juggle points are a convenient way to not-really-explain how juggles work in some games, but actually using them is difficult and has the same pitfalls any other developer-tweaked arbitrary numbers do.

Also Street Fighter X Tekken used juggle points if I remember correctly.

I still wish they would have shown us what they expected to spend on certain parts of their game(like a pie chart) so that we could evaluate whether they were putting their money in the right places.
They actually did release a pie chart, for their IGG not the latest Kickstarter. I don't know if that makes you feel better or worse about seeing pie charts as a sign that they know what to do with money.
20130609211816-COST-BREAKDOWN-02-02.jpg

And, hey, actually, they took down the IGG. Don't know when, cause it was up at least when the Kickstarter started I'm pretty sure. Or maybe not, I don't know. Both of the other IGG's are down.
http://beastsfury.deviantart.com/journal/Beast-s-Fury-Indiegogo-is-now-live-335393762
http://beastsfury.deviantart.com/journal/Beast-s-Fury-Indiegogo-is-now-live-351614384

I so badly wanna be a dick and say things, but I am trying not to. It doesn't help anyone by taking shots at them.

But, yeah, I just really wish they knew what they were doing, with money and design (and other things). I would like to play this game before we see a "Keep Beast's Fury Going v4".

I so badly wanna be a dick and say things, but I am trying not to. It doesn't help anyone by taking shots at them.

But, yeah, I just really wish they knew what they were doing, with money and design (and other things). I would like to play this game before we see a "Keep Beast's Fury Going v4".
Just mosey on over to the unpopular opinions thread.

snip

Oops! I meant a breakdown for their Kickstarter! They found out the hard way that IGG breakdown was obsolete and they didn't provide a Kickstarter breakdown. Maybe they'll show a breakdown by their third crowdfund campaign.

If anyone wants to give it a go, a playable demo was released recently.

If anyone wants to give it a go, a playable demo was released recently.
wait you're actually saying that they got a Demo released? and it didn't take them 5 billion years to do it? man colour me impressed.

Edit: It's running off of a Unity engine? I TAKE IT ALL BACK. and even on my computer which is made to handle large loads of graphics the game still chugs. What an un optimized demo this is.

Double Edit: Also this is a Windows only Demo, so all you people who have Macs can go somewhere else. Jesus... what a mess this is.

Triple Edit: No, I'm done. I'm out. these guys need help. I'm just. man am I happy Mike Z made Skull Girls really good.

Quad Edit: Oh and Vincent can do the j.hk infinite, just like Don. I:^I this game is all kinds of bad. like, no.

Last edited:
The fact that Don j.HK > j.HK > j.HK is a valid infinite in the build they saw fit to let the world play has me very concerned about the developers' ability to deliver a game that people will actually want to play.

I mean sure they can patch it out, but it's such a glaringly obvious issue that it has me questioning their competency at game design? If a casual player who goes into training mode saying "man I wonder what links into what" finds an infinite in the first minute, imagine what sort of shit will be found in the ongoing weeks/months/years. There's also dumb stuff like Don's s.HK whiffing at close range but hitting 3/4ths of the screen away despite the animation being completely incongruent with the move's hitbox, or that the intro animations are so extravagant and fancy but idle-to-knockdown is like a 3 frame animation, or that despite being a pre-alpha with only two (incomplete) characters and two stages, this game is bigger than fucking Skullgirls. Bloated too, since load times are abysmal whenever the game has to load Vincent's stage from scratch (over 25 seconds, more than USFIV or BlazBlue or any other modern fighter for that matter). The game also takes up 1.6GB of memory at character select for some reason?

The game takes forever to load for me if I pick Vincent, and refuses to return to character select after a match is over, it gets stuck there indefinitely. I tried to record it happening (cause they wanted to see it happening, cause I guess they hadn't seen it happen), but then the game just refused to move.

And yes, the 3/4th's s.hk was the very first thing I found out about the game. While playing it. Didn't play long enough to notice that infinite.

It stopped right from the screen start, is it normal to program with such big dimensions?

1.6 gb? man, that's Wizards of the Coast level memory leaking.

Either that or some computer breaking levels of stuff to keep in the RAM

Beast's Fury has finished development! 10 characters, are you ready? Here, download this 30gb file and enjoy the game today!

Reactions: Kongk4
Can't wait for generic furry fighter! Yay...

They're using C# for their programming. They should've used C++ and compressed the files. Maybe write fewer lines of code.

Why are the graphics settings worded like that? It's confusing.
-fastest
-fast
-simple
-good
-beautiful
-fantastic

just do lowest low medium high ultra

edit: and why isn't escape the undo button for setting buttons

Last edited:
For the record, I noticed no difference whatsoever between fastest and fantastic, both in graphics quality and loading speed.

Not really sure what they were trying to prove with this alpha. It's far from playable. Tentative design issues aside, I have a bug where whenever I crouch my character gets stuck until I jump, and then up and down are reversed for the rest of the match.
They're using C# for their programming. They should've used C++ and compressed the files. Maybe write fewer lines of code.
The game is being made in Unity so they don't have that option. It probably also contributes to why they didn't think they needed much money to make all these characters, as development in something like unity is relatively quick.

I wonder if Maximilian is gonna have a video on this, heh.

I played it a while ago and I didn't feel like dredging this back up, holy shit those hitboxes are fucked up. I'll upload a video when it finishes exporting.

Last edited:
I'm going to do a "Kit Play's of this when I get home.. This is going to be funny... and so... so sad..

I'm going to do a "Kit Play's of this when I get home.. This is going to be funny... and so... so sad..
save yourself the pain kitty... it's not worth it. I'm just going to play taps and slowly walk away from this could have been game.

Status
Not open for further replies.