• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Beginner Questions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is Squigly available in the endless beta but I'd have to pay for her in the normal version? I heard she was free at some point but I've only had the game for about a week.

Thing is, if you get extra invincible frames, you should be able to counter super. Yeah, it costs an extra meter, so it's not ideal, but there are worse things to do to get out of pressure
You can "reversal" super out of alpha counter, but not counter super your opponents super. (unless you used a move with plenty of armour or something)

I depends on how good you want to get, you'll have to eventually learn combos no matter who you play. But if you don't care too much you can just run Peacock/Big Band and do well without combos till you start playing intermediate players.

Pick a move that has invincibility frame,s use it as an assist = invincible assist (Double's hornet bomber, Filia's updo, Parasoul's napalm pillar, Fortune's fiber uppercut, Cerebella's devil horns, (please don't use this as an assist) Big band's beat extend, etc. etc.) All assists have a few frames of vulnerability when they enter the screen though.

Remember though, just because it's an invincible assist it doesn't mean it's a good choice.

Thanks for the reply. I learn combos in fighting games, but as mentioned, they are never very long. I've been doing my best with chronic pain (formerly head, now face) for almost four years, can only play on weekends when I visit my brother w/the PS3, and my brain is not the type to memorize 15 inputs. Maybe that would be a good topic: when is a combo considered "long". I care, though. Practice. Go to forums & watch videos during the week while I can't play.

Not sure if this is where I could or should ask but -

I'm really, really, really bad at countering Fukua. She fucks me up so hard it's not even funny - mostly because of how I play. So does anyone, be it someone who PLAYS Fukua or someone who plays Big Band have any idea on how to deal with her? I'm rather sick and tired of Fukua because she just fucks me up every time and it's a pain to play. I know parrying's important to deal with Fukua but I completely forget about whatever I've trained in training mode up until after the match. My mindset in a battle is to rush, stop zoning, do damage. And it usually ends up in a 15 match loss spree.

Last edited:
Why is Squigly available in the endless beta but I'd have to pay for her in the normal version? I heard she was free at some point but I've only had the game for about a week.

Wouldn't make sense if you had to pay for her in the testable version. In the retail, though, there's a need to have her locked.

Endless Beta has all characters unlocked always for testing reasons, but will disappear once the game is done (Robo-Fortune release).
In the retail build, characters are free for 3 months since their release, after that you have to pay for them - and Squigly has been released more than 3 months ago.

can only play on weekends when I visit my brother w/the PS3
SG has a steam release :O

My mindset in a battle is to rush, stop zoning, do damage. And it usually ends up in a 15 match loss spree.
Next time you play, don't care about winning and just really really focus on doing things different from the usual. This is a mindset, not a matchup issue.

How to describe the use of a shoryuken motion with arrow keys and ASDZXC (default layout) to a fighting game newbie? I can do it myself, but when my cousin tries it she always messes it up and tries to use her pointer finger for everything; and I don't know a good way to describe it to her myself.

Also, how do some of you position your fingers on a keyboard (I can't tell her that either since I use a gamepad)?

Before I got my hitbox controller, I used 2 3 4 spacebar as left down right up (respectively). then 456 on keypad as lp mp hp, and 123 as lk mk hk. + and the enter keys on the keypad were used as macro 1 and macro 2 for tag assists. if you reverse the left and right hand responsibilities then when using an arcade stick or gamepad you're going to encounter huge issues with muscle memory and reflexive responses being reversed and leading to some major punishment. at least those are my thoughts, but I'm still a scrub sooooo............yeah lol, take it with a grain of salt.

PS: describe the shoryuken motion as forward down forward really really quickly, then attack. using an index finger for everything won't cut it, especially when you consider instant air-dashes, complex input strings and the like. again, grain of salt treatment, I'm not amazing so these are just my general thoughts.

is there a good way to counter a flying painwheel with fukua or big band? all her strong attacks eat through big bands armor like it's nothing and she has better range and options than her........I'm kinda stumped.

In my opinion a Painwheel in the air is weakest vs those two. A-Train chews her up in the air. Fukuas mk clone (I think that's it.. the anti-air one) is also hard to deal with. Add in Fukua's air fireball game and you own the air.

That said, if you've let PW get mid range and she's able to get a j.mp out, she's going to eat through armor fast. So, don't let that happen.

In my opinion a Painwheel in the air is weakest vs those two. A-Train chews her up in the air. Fukuas mk clone (I think that's it.. the anti-air one) is also hard to deal with. Add in Fukua's air fireball game and you own the air.

That said, if you've let PW get mid range and she's able to get a j.mp out, she's going to eat through armor fast. So, don't let that happen.
A train is incredibly easy to bait with PW. unfly and you can block it. It is reactable unless you are right up close to him.

But Fukua does eat up PW pretty easily. MK clone pretty much deters flying at most ranges and fireballs make it difficult for PW to get in a safe position to even fly anyway.

ok, so are there any good options once painwheel has gotten in? I know the corner is a bad place to be, but with the timing on fukua clone and her ability to eat BB's armor alive, I haven't been able to find a way to retaliate.

A-Train is absolutely easy to bait and punish, but the reason I mention it is because until the Big Band fucks up by playing predictably, he has the momentum.

A PW isn't going to just hop into fly and coast in problem free even being able to unfly and block.

I say this as a PW that truly believes the MU is in PWs favor. I just find that dashing in and using fly very, very sparingly is the best way to move in on BB.

ok, so are there any good options once painwheel has gotten in? I know the corner is a bad place to be, but with the timing on fukua clone and her ability to eat BB's armor alive, I haven't been able to find a way to retaliate.
Stay directly above him and use j.HK xx flight a lot. You will eat up armour, should beat out beat extend as long as you stay high. Just be careful of his 2MK which is actually a pretty good anti air.

A-Train is absolutely easy to bait and punish, but the reason I mention it is because until the Big Band fucks up by playing predictably, he has the momentum.

A PW isn't going to just hop into fly and coast in problem free even being able to unfly and block.

I say this as a PW that truly believes the MU is in PWs favor. I just find that dashing in and using fly very, very sparingly is the best way to move in on BB.

I dunno if I'd exactly say its in her favor, but considering how she has a terrible forward dash and BB has Cymbal Clash and Giant Step (HUGE disjointed hitbox that doubles as an instant overhead), I don't think that's a good idea. Unless you do fly or when counting Backdashes (both of their backdashes suck), BB is faster than you are and you probably get anywhere far dashing on him. Besides, I find that you're better off fighting him in the air anyway due to his limited air-to-air options, Plus PW doesn't really have a great Anti-Air at her disposal anyway. I could be wrong but she can beat him in the air, but on the ground she's fairly vulnerable.

Band can also use his defensive tools and pokes against you, and I don't think PW will enjoy getting caught in his normal throw either.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
I think this should be in the beginners area, but note: fukua is the only character on the roster whose standing lp and mp whiff crouching characters naturally, although mp only whiffs at close range.

Beat Extend could also work as an option, if you feel they're waiting for you to A-Train. Run up / if she comes to you, and pull out a Beat Extend L. It'll probably catch her, not -as- punishable, and it has a good reach.

Endless Beta has all characters unlocked always for testing reasons, but will disappear once the game is done (Robo-Fortune release).
In the retail build, characters are free for 3 months since their release, after that you have to pay for them - and Squigly has been released more than 3 months ago.

SG has a steam release :O

Next time you play, don't care about winning and just really really focus on doing things different from the usual. This is a mindset, not a matchup issue.

Oh, I know it's on Steam. I don't have Steam & can't play fighting games on a PC. Also, I live w/my boss & his family. Focused gaming works best when I'm out of his house. It's been an unusual situation for years. The weekend is tomorrow, though. Patience has been important for me for a number of years. Thanks, though.

ok, my last question before I stop bugging this thread for a while, I've noticed that if I'm holding down forward or backwards and hit lp + mp, I'll start running and/or dodge, are there any special characteristics to this? or is it an easier way to dash?

It is simply another way to dash. It can also be done with any 2 punch buttons.

Also, if you want to forward dash, you only have to press two punches, no directional input is actually needed at all. If you want to backdash you will need to hold back or downback and press two punches.

Dunno if this really counts, but how do you keep a positive additude during matches? I find this extremely hard to do, especially after getting 7-0'd by Solocock. Not fun. Not fun at all.

Dunno if this really counts, but how do you keep a positive additude during matches? I find this extremely hard to do, especially after getting 7-0'd by Solocock. Not fun. Not fun at all.
I think this has more to do with the individual than anything else.

Just win
I always have a positive attitude when I'm beating my opponent into submission

Yeah but that's hard to do when he's top 17 apperantly and comboing you into submission so

Why do you get mad when losing against someone who has put a lot more work and time into the game than you did and is plain better at it?

Would you get mad if you lost a Tennis match against Nadal? Nah.
You'd be happy you got to play him, try to remember what he did so you can emulate it, try to remember what parts of your game he exploited so you can fix those, and possibly ask him later whether he got any tips.

Getting mad is legit if you lose against someone that you feel is retarded due to some stupid shit happening (most notably lagspike during your killing combo which makes you drop it and him super you), if something you practised over and over doesn't work (ie you spent 10 hours drilling a combo and drop it in matches anyway), if you feel like you aren't getting better no matter what you try (plateauing for extended periods of time), etc

But why would you get angry when you lose against someone that is better than you are? Doesn't make sense, don't do it.

What's the metagame for Skullgirls if there even is one? I can't really seem to find anything about what the current metagame is currently. I've seen mentions of it but nothing that ever goes into detail about what it currently is.

What do you mean by metagame?

Metagame from my understanding is basically the way a game is generally played at a given time. What Camail said would be an example. So would, say, most people using teams with Updo and double butt.

To be honest if you are new to the game, thinking about metagame is rather useless. A metagame arises naturally from the community and its pool of knowledge, trying to learn about high level play without first understanding the fundamentals of the neutral game is just going to make you more confused.

I don't find that breaking this game (maybe all fighers?) into a meta is helpful... not like it is with Mobas (the game community most obsessed with meta).

after getting 7-0'd by Solocock.
when he's top 17
Wait, you played against MulNim ?!
You should be sooo pleased to have had the opportunity...but I understand that it hurts :^/

Reactions: Skymin50
To be honest if you are new to the game, thinking about metagame is rather useless. A metagame arises naturally from the community and its pool of knowledge, trying to learn about high level play without first understanding the fundamentals of the neutral game is just going to make you more confused.

Well, I believe I'm still fairly new to the game as I only have 52 hours, but I think I've read enough into the different stages and mechanics of the game ( and certainly played against enough people who are a much higher level than me) to warrant trying to learn about higher level play, and I don't know about you, but for me trying to figure out what higher level players are doing something as they're beating me up isn't the greatest way to learn why they're doing it. Of course I still have much to learn by way of experience but I think having at least some of the knowledge beforehand helps to understand it as it happens in the midst of a game you know?

High level play is going to be 3 characters, often times (very, very often) it is going to have an invuln assist often a dp (updo, pillar, or less often fiber upper).

All of that isn't likely to help too much which is why I think worrying about the meta in fighting games is less... effective.

What is effective is watching high level videos, especially for characters you play. Want to know how to rock Valentine? Watch Duck. PW? Watch Elda and so on. Watch for things like resets they are using, tactics vs match ups you have difficulty with, use of specials and supers that you didn't think of.

I have been doing that too, and it helps when there's also commentators that explain some of what they're doing too. I've already learned how to do some stuff like absolute guard and pbgc which has helped a lot with my defense against teams (especially absolute guard) since I still play solo for now.

I'm not really worried about the metagame or anything, just kinda curious of what it would be since some people have mentioned it. Thanks for answering my questions though guys, much appreciated.

You should be sooo pleased to have had the opportunity...but I understand that it hurts :^/

I should be so terrified is the proper wording. Fucker is scary as SHIT with Peacock. No man should have that power and be top 17.

Metagame from my understanding is basically the way a game is generally played at a given time. What Camail said would be an example. So would, say, most people using teams with Updo and double butt.

Generally, "Metagame" in fighting game terms are referred to specifically as "Counterpicking", because there's not a lot to it. It's like, if Peacock was super popular online, so you'd always run H.Brass on your team. That's playing the metagame (Using outside statistics about the game to boost your success rate).

It's FAR less prevalent in SG than in League/DotA, however. The characters are very balanced, so you're not going to get hosed if a character has any native advantages. There's little "metagame" to be had in the fact that a lot of people use Updo and Bomber, because there's not really a way to counter a DP (Though Dagwood and I just had a conversation about running */Double/Para for Car xx Inferno Brigade to murderize assist calls).

LnL or Brass Knuckles both counter DP assists

Learning how to play around DP is the most important thing. Try to bait it out, move around the assist, anything to not get hit by it. Just recently I was in a lobby and I had a long string of matches against MF/Fillia and the matches I won were the matches that I zoned for a large majority of the match.

The matches I lost where the many situations I got sucked into what I thought were safe jump ins or for sure hits, which ended up being blocked into an assist call. Gotta really analysis the mixups/setups and learn to either punish the assist or get a safe hit in and shift the momentum.

Status
Not open for further replies.