• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Beginner Questions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure of the best place ask a mod, so I just did it here (hopefully one will find it here): Is it ok to write a Gameplay Critique thread, or is there already one somewhere? I mean a place where people can upload videos of their toughest battles and show their matches in action, asking better players what made them lose/almost lose the game so they will know how to deal with it next time they meet that particular person (that is if they don't change much next time). If you can't upload a video, you could tell your username and still discuss it, maybe find someone who can record and play against you. You could criticize that person's skill and performance as well as their opponents', so long as you don't be a jerk while doing it.

• Maybe you think you're losing to a particular strategy, but you are actually losing for a different reason and you're oblivious to it.
  • The character matchups tell what the characters are supposed to do to the other. Maybe the player defies it and does his/her own little thing that's (possibly) unviable, but you still don't know what to do.
Shoryuken Forums has one for Street Fighter 4.

There is one, can't put in a link cause i'm on tapatalk, but it is in sg gameplay - videos/streams - match video thread
EDIT : never mind, was talking shit. this thread works more as an archive.
most people just create a training diary on beginner forums and post their vids asking for advices...

Last edited:
Might I ask if anyone knows if Squigly/Cerebella is a good team at all? Their DHCs seem alright and I can see them wroking nicely, but I'm unsure.

Might I ask if anyone knows if Squigly/Cerebella is a good team at all? Their DHCs seem alright and I can see them wroking nicely, but I'm unsure.
The assist synergy is fantastic. Cerecopter is probably Squigly's second best possible assist (behind only HP Brass Knuckle)

You want someone first in the team though, to make best use of Squigly.

ie. xxx/Squigly/Cerebella

The assist synergy is fantastic. Cerecopter is probably Squigly's second best possible assist (behind only HP Brass Knuckle)

You want someone first in the team though, to make best use of Squigly.

ie. xxx/Squigly/Cerebella

Would Big Band/Squigly/Cerebella be viable at all? Considering you said Brass Knuckles is good, and BB can work with Cerebella as well.

Would Big Band/Squigly/Cerebella be viable at all? Considering you said Brass Knuckles is good, and BB can work with Cerebella as well.
Yes, that is one of my teams and it can be pretty great.

Big Band(HP Brass)/Squigly(2HP)/Cerebella(Cerecopter)

It may look like you have some redundancy in assists, but the key with this team is actually to get Squigly on point with Brass assist, the team starts to make a whole lotta sense then.

EDIT: A quick note: SSJ DHC into LK + MK Opera on the 3rd (or even 4th but you need specific timing and I think it is character specific) hit is a safe DHC that gives you pressure.

May I suggest Beat Extend L as an assist for Big Band so you have a DP like move backing your team up.

Edit: Changing for proper name use.

Last edited:
Reactions: Skymin50
May I suggest Upbeat L as an assist for Big Band so you have a DP like move backing your team up.
With this team, HP brass would be a much better choice than what I assume you mean is Beat Extend LP.

If Cerebella was running first, sure Beat Extend would make sense, but HP brass is Squigly's best assist and is actually the core component of the team. You REALLY want Squigly with HP brass to make it out with meter. Squigly/Bella is an insurance policy.

If your team is BB/Squig/Bella, I see no reason not to run Bella/Squig/BB instead
Bella is a better anchor and BB functions really well with a Cerecopter and/or 2HP.

I run both of those teams, though.

Bella is a better anchor and BB functions really well with a Cerecopter and/or 2HP.

I run both of those teams, though.
I am no expert, but why run BB on Point when you could just let him sit behind and use his own assists to back up his teammates and then come out later and use the DR as his ammunition? Brass Knuckles, Giant Step, Beat Extend (my personal favorite), and A'Train are pretty damn good enough to compete with Cerecopter in my world. BB is also quite a meter muncher and is one of those characters who likes to use up Super Meter/Dramatic Tension quite a bit, and I personally find its more about the meter than the assist in his case.

Cerecopter is pretty cool, but I don't think BB really needs it that badly. cr.hp and Center Stage are pretty good too, but other than that Squigs doesn't really offer too much to Band as an assist due to the way he moves and attacks.

You will likely disagree, but these are just my own two cents.

I am not saying Brass Knuckle is bad but how is it the best assist for Squigly?

Also BB is a better anchor then Cerebella. Not saying she can't hold the spot but BB has way better assist options and I feel he is more liking to make a comeback late the match. Bella doesn't have full screen ( more like 3/4 screen) punishes like BB's Brass Knuckles>SSJ and other non sense.

On a another note they aren't the strongest duo. In the event you lose squigy, Bella/BB is the better order but you don't have a safe DHC if things go south.

I am not saying Brass Knuckle is bad but how is it the best assist for Squigly?

Also BB is a better anchor then Cerebella. Not saying she can't hold the spot but BB has way better assist options and I feel he is more liking to make a comeback late the match. Bella doesn't have full screen ( more like 3/4 screen) punishes like BB's Brass Knuckles>SSJ and other non sense.

On a another note they aren't the strongest duo. In the event you lose squigy, Bella/BB is the better order but you don't have a safe DHC if things go south.
It is the best for Squigly because it puts a great big hitbox on the screen she can hide behind, charging stances. She can even confirm off it full screen with center stage. It is mediocre as a reversal assist, but as a general defensive assist it is absolutely fantastic.

BB is no way a better anchor than Cerebella. BB on his own has no way of making ANYTHING safe. He is dead the second he tries to do something (or tries to do nothing) and guess wrong.

Bella > Squig isn't a safe DHC, is another reason not to run it in that order all the time.

BB/Bella is actually a pretty decent duo to have, Cerecopter allow BB to actually mix up without dying for it.

Bella/Squig/BB and BB/Squig/Bella both work pretty well it just depends how you run it. If the entire game plan is Squigly, running Bella first is safer, but I like the "safe" DHC into ridiculous pressure.

I never really meant BB/Cere/Squig as in BB point, I was just throwing out a team suggestion. I will improve on my Cerebella game though so I can make use of this.

using triples is hard

I was playing Big band/Squigly/Bella for about a week before i decided i didn't want to play Squigly. I liked it whenever I didn't have to play neutral with Squigly because LOL I don't get that character's neutral game and don't care to learn

I was playing Big band/Squigly/Bella for about a week before i decided i didn't want to play Squigly. I liked it whenever I didn't have to play neutral with Squigly because LOL I don't get that character's neutral game and don't care to learn

Yeah I'm not necessarily digging her neutral either, but I am trying. She is a blast once you get them caught up in her endless cycle of crazy fast resets though.

i like her neutral

On a slightly related not, she's OK as <not point> if you're careful with spacing. SBO can be a safe DHC for most characters.

Could you give advice on her neutral?

My lessons thus far:

Be cautious with j.hp vs most of the cast. Both of her jumping lights seem strong though I'm definitely not using them well. I can't figure out j.mp. I love j.mk. Raw j.hk gets me hurt more than anything.

Both jump lights are very good, depending on relative heights. J.MP is very good for baiting out counter attempts. Use Medium and Light divekicks to approach. Center Stage is your best friend.

Standing jab and strong are good anti-airs.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to do better against Fukuas? As in counters and stuff. She really counters my Big Band and I'm rather sick of her.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to do better against Fukuas? As in counters and stuff. She really counters my Big Band and I'm rather sick of her.
Don't do anything like random supers or random rush punches she can command grab right through that stuff yo, Fukua can jump over alot of stuff like rush punch, You could use emergency brake and beat extend to counter her cross up shenanigans, c.MP also helps because of it's funky hitbox and it's vacuum effect

Don't do anything like random supers or random rush punches

but that's all i CAN do

No but being serious that's a really bad habit for me. Since SSJ has such small frames I feel that just spamming it to get out of combos is a viable strategy. But it's not, and it usually ends up in them blocking.

Also I'm still really bad at blocking.

Well what rush punches are you using?

Well what rush punches are you using?

Not really spamming Knuckles as much as I do SSJ. I sometimes use Knuckles H, but kind of barely.

Do the L version more it is much safer on block/whiff

- Get charge WHENEVER you can. Partition the charge if your opponent is moving in (start charging, then cancel charging as you see them move, it stores how far you charged in the meantime).
- Punchcharge is vastly more important due to Sing xx SBO, Sing xx Daisy and HP.Draugen. PS Use those things
- j.LK is godlike and willl beat nigh everything
- c.MK hits half the screen
- Use j.HP rarely as an air to air, but it's a really good air to ground - difficult to intercept for most characters, even if they hit you out of it there's not much to be had for them (unless they're like Bella and Excel you~), confirms into full combos via land-SBO (learn spacing for this!)
- Divekicks are really good, but don't get overly predictable with them
- j.MP works to space out your opponent and to just reposition yourself in the air, but making this a good tool is a bunch of work

Last edited:

My lessons thus far:

Be cautious with j.hp vs most of the cast. Both of her jumping lights seem strong though I'm definitely not using them well. I can't figure out j.mp. I love j.mk. Raw j.hk gets me hurt more than anything.
Lots of j.LK. Be tricky with your double jumps. Hide behind an assist and charge (now you don't NEED to play neutral).

Be careful with your divekicks up close because divekick pressure is rather easy to pushblock/punish.

j.MP has a FANTASTIC hitbox. It isn't going to get you much, but it is good to throw you when you expect the opponent to be putting a big hitbox out, sepecially with an assist.

j.HK is more specific/set up use.

Really j.LK is your main normal with Squigs, honourable mention to j.HP.

j.LP I only use in pretty specific situations, j.LK just seems better usually.

I could certainly be wrong here, but i actually think big use of j.hp is warranted. It is counterable but most of the counters do terrible damage (that ive seen) whereas a squigly bait on the said counter can give huge damage (that ive seen) i just think its one of those moves that you have to have proper mindgames to use, but once estsblished as a legit threat... Turns squigly into something completely different than a squigly that only uses jhp in a super calculated fashion.

J.HP is a great move, pokes and controls well but you can't win just on that. J.lk into dive kick are the main up close pressure. Block strings ending in forward hp for your ground game. All else fails center stage >SBO or even Daisy pusher.

Did you play the Tutorials? This is the Infinite Protection System kicking in.
Do the tutorials go over IPS? I haven't played them recently but I remember when they first came out that wasn't mentioned anywhere.

Do the tutorials go over IPS? I haven't played them recently but I remember when they first came out that wasn't mentioned anywhere.
There is a "The opponent is doing a burstable combo on you, press any button to BOOM!" tutorial.
There ain't no "Do this combo, see the opponent burst, that's because IPS and here we tell you how it works" one though.

They also never tell you what Undizzy is or that green sparks are burstable.

My first couple weeks, I sure took a lot of extra damage...

Reactions: drewski
Does anyone know if you can plink an assist call with lk.buer? I can't seem to get the timing if it is possible.

wouldn't qcf lk+mp get you nails + assist?

Oh shit it might, forgot about that. Lemmie test this in a few, sorry~

E: Yeah sorry, gives Nail. I don't think one can Buer+Assist, then?? Would love to be proven wrong and am not 100% on this, but I don't see how you'd be able to.

The problem with plinking is easy; you can't call assists during specials and 1f of a special is = during a special, so QCF LK~MP will have 1f of Buer startup and then lockout on assistcall.
What you can do is call assist and Buer right after, which should have sort-of-satisfactory results for doing it during combos.

Last edited:
Haven't seen any info on this, so:
What's the purpose of ranked/quick match? I don't see any info on what my rank is? The people there are advanced, so I just got stuck in very long combos. The way to break a long combo mentioned above is IP. I remember it from the tutorial- a light switches from red to green, right. Not sure if I've seen !!!s or sparks.
I guess by the time it activates, most your health is gone. Ha.

Yesterday I had a lot of great battles in "Create Lobby"- beginner level.

Status
Not open for further replies.