• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Beowulf Thread: Retiring from Retirement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well just remember that we have to keep the two threads separate.
The cave of The Wulf Pack is like a mullet, business in the front and party in the back.
... are you saying you don't party to a fully animated beo walk?

... *deep breath in through nose* ........................... *deep exhale through mouth* ....

I hope Beowulf's wakeups can hit. Probably not though.

yeah..i mean the trashcan functionality is different in that it gives beo a clear tradeoff in that he very well might not be able to double snap at all.

Whereas, wakeup hitting people would be kinda..random and or broke. If it keeps the recovery invul frames it's broken and dumb. If it's hittable beowulf can be knocked down into knockdown which would be hilarious, but silly.

I would be suuuper shocked if Beo was unable to do traditional snap backs. I figure him being able to do it off a grab is just an extra option.

Cody has an option to deal a hit on wakeup in SF4 :P

Reactions: Medici Mob Boss
I'm pessimistic about it tbqh, but you may be right about snapbacks. I mean it very well might be that he has two. New things are always introduced in game design.

Cody's dust cloud is a special move it isn't his normal recovery. It's an input following knockdown. I mean if it's similarly a special move I'm all for it, but if it happened every time on it's own..that isn't...no.

Reactions: Denizen
I don't know if I'm missing something but I don't understand why are you saying Beowulf can't do double snapbacks with that trash can.

I don't know if I'm missing something but I don't understand why are you saying Beowulf can't do double snapbacks with that trash can.
cause its part of his grab and you cant grab two+ people.

Reactions: PaperBag_Sniper
They could give the trash can a hitbox so it hits assists on the way out.

They could give the trash can a hitbox so it hits assists on the way out.
You'd still need to combo two characters, stagger the point or drop them out of a combo and grab them, then snap them out before dropping the combo on the assist.

That seems... kinda difficult.

You'd still need to combo two characters, grab the point character and snap them out before dropping the combo on the assist.

That seems kinda difficult.
yeah... my guess is that Beo will have two snap-back attacks. The one that is not from the grab will most likely have Beo doing a lariat swing with Gerendal's arm or something along those lines.

probably chair dependent.

Not really understanding the "problem" with Beowulf's outtake. Eliza's is also similar: it starts with one move to bind the opponent in place and a follow-up to send him/her flying.

but eliza's isn't a grab.

It's a unconventional outtake. That's the point.
Beowulf's gimmick (one of them, at least) is a neutral grapple that can lead to several options. While people usually associate it with side-scrolling beat 'em ups, the technique has already been implemented in a fighting game (Hinogami Goh in Virtua Fighter 4). Beowulf just happens to have his outtake as a option for the grapple. Would it be any different if the outtake animation were a single strike, like a dropkick?
Or imagine if Fortune could use her outtake as a rekka option. It's practically the same principle.

Reactions: Broseidon Rex
A single strike would be the same as anyone else..and fortune having snapback options is in the realm of the hypothetical.

There isn't a problem per se, but we don't quite know the mechanics of everything yet. Because Beowulf is the only character to have this. Which as a long time gamer makes me question why he can do this (not in a negative way but in a where is the balance to this check sort of thing). I mean either way it's read into bnb then snapback or in this case probably something like bnb into restand into snapback, but I'm not sure about a character having both...yet.

You squeeze your brains all the way to figure out how it'll work when really you could just wait

Or you could ask MikeZ about Beowulf's mechanics and he'll squeeze your brain out for you.

Reactions: chickenwithtie
It's a unconventional outtake. That's the point.
Beowulf's gimmick (one of them, at least) is a neutral grapple that can lead to several options. While people usually associate it with side-scrolling beat 'em ups, the technique has already been implemented in a fighting game (Hinogami Goh in Virtua Fighter 4). Beowulf just happens to have his outtake as a option for the grapple. Would it be any different if the outtake animation were a single strike, like a dropkick?
Or imagine if Fortune could use her outtake as a rekka option. It's practically the same principle.
The point is not that this move is strange and unusual - everyone loves the pick up and walk around grabs afaik. The point is that if Beo's only snap out is via this grab then it means he can't use one of the game's most powerful mechanics - Double Snapping.

You can only grab one character at a time. If Beo requires a grab to access his snap back then he cannot Double Snap because both characters need to be hit by the snap at the same time. (Yes, there are exceptions. I listed them above.)

EDIT: Regardless, this is all hypothetical. Everyone goes back and forth in circles on this sort of stuff. If Beo is left with only this as his snap out, I'm pretty confident Mike has a very good reason for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Balder
Maybe the trash can "grabs" the point character and hits the assist or, at least, "binds" the assist and both get hit by the kick.
I think we can agree that Mike Z and co. already have it figured out or else the animation wouldn't be more than a stick figure.
I evoke the timeless wisdom of the King Crimson adage: IT JUST WORKS

Side note, don't think this has been brought up yet.

Maybe the trash can "grabs" the point character and hits the assist or, at least, "binds" the assist and both get hit by the kick.
But the point I keep bringing up is that currently the action goes like this:
Grab > Trash Can + Snap out.

Regardless of the trash can hitting the assist, the regular grab still needs to happen first, which can only happen in a stagger or when the combo ends.

As I edited in above, I'm still confident Mike knows what he's doing with this, so I'm not worried. I'm merely explaining why people are saying this could be an issue.

You squeeze your brains all the way to figure out how it'll work when really you could just wait
ah do what ah wan. go way.

During his snapback, Beowulf should say "See you in two weeks."
I think a more likely phrase would be "Wham, bam! Thank you, ma'am." Dunno why, I just think it would be appropriate.

But the point I keep bringing up is that currently the action goes like this:
Grab > Trash Can + Snap out.
Okay, I just went and reviewed the last update video and I see your point - he only does the outtake from the grab. I was under the impression it was available in both forms ("neutral" and "grab"), but I think it will pan out that way; he'll be able to do the outtake just like everyone else with the added option of being able to do it as a grab option (with the usual meter costs).
Neutral one can lead into a double snap (with the trash can and kick hitting both) while the one performed from a grab likely won't because the assist will run off in the split second the point character is being grabbed

Just did some quick archive sleuthing before hitting "Post Reply". File name (grab_snapout2) might hint at this animation being a special outtake that is done from grapple and he might have a conventional "standard" outtake as well. If Beo can't double snap, he must be ridiculously good in everything else.
1.png

As far as I'm concerned, I'll wait for further developments on the matter.

Mike is a strong supporter of the principle of a double snap. By his own words (quote from memory), making a bad assist call and getting both characters caught in a combo is the worst mistake you can make in this game and losing a character is a suitable punishment for it. Last thing we have to worry about is him depriving Beo of this option.

Mike also mentioned in the last Salty how "you can go into his grab stance from different stuff, and the time you have varies depending on how you got there" (not an actual quote, just the way I remember it).

He could enter grab state mid-combo and quickly convert to trash-can, which could hit both characters on the way out..

Mike also mentioned in the last Salty how "you can go into his grab stance from different stuff, and the time you have varies depending on how you got there" (not an actual quote, just the way I remember it).

He could enter grab state mid-combo and quickly convert to trash-can, which could hit both characters on the way out..

That's really freaking cool...

I wonder if Beowulf will be ready in a week because in the last video he was missing a lot of normals and of course specials, it is strange because Ravidrath said Beowulf development is going faster than usual, maybe the animations are done but not included yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.