• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Blazblue

Kagura dah best. He's a womanizer done right XD It's not totally overbearing on his character, but a definite trait they milk effectively for genuinely funny moments. His stance style is simple and works, and he's shown to be a total badass that does get stuff done. I luv him :D

On Hazama again, I love playing as Hazama, but CAN'T FREAKING STAND Terumi's playstyle. AND HE'S EVERYWHERE ONLINE! D: I ran into like 5 Terumis in a row last time I went online.

Terumi is really overused. He's so annoying in lag too, which is even worse.

You know, I don't want to seem like this is the only thing I want in characters, but I feel like BlazBlue does more humorous characters better than sincere ones.
Kagura, Bang, Hazama... They all really work as characters for me.

Rachel is really the only serious character I like, other than Kokonoe, and when he's not being really gay rude, Jin. Everyone else has their moments, but they're not consistently good characters.

Last edited:
Kagura dah best. He's a womanizer done right XD It's not totally overbearing on his character, but a definite trait they milk effectively for genuinely funny moments. His stance style is simple and works, and he's shown to be a total badass that does get stuff done. I luv him :D

On Hazama again, I love playing as Hazama, but CAN'T FREAKING STAND Terumi's playstyle. AND HE'S EVERYWHERE ONLINE! D: I ran into like 5 Terumis in a row last time I went online.

>Likes Terumi
>Uses Terumi
>CAN'T. MASH. ENOUGH. FOR TERUMI.

Seriously I love both Hazama and Terumi, with Terumi being more fun online. I just can't do Hazama's technical stuff in lag. But mainly because I can't play in lag for my life. Meanwhile with Terumi, it's more just knowing what to do. THOUGH GOD THE MASH IS ABSURD. I'm not sure HOW they expect me to do it, considering the only way I can is to slap the controller down and go to town on it. And it's mid combo.

I can't mash this much, even for you, Snake Senpai. ;w;

You know, I don't want to seem like this is the only thing I want in characters, but I feel like BlazBlue does more humorous characters better than sincere ones.
Kagura, Bang, Hazama... They all really work as characters for me.

Rachel is really the only serious character I like, other than Kokonoe, and when he's not being really gay rude, Jin. Everyone else has their moments, but they're not consistently good characters.

Their humorous characters ARE great. I think Ragna can be a good blend when his 'edginess' is played for comedy, but yeah, Hakumen rubs me the wrong way. A lot of the other semi-serious characters like Bullet have really stupid and already used humor as their main source, like the fanservice and not knowing how to actually dress or be female with Bullet >_> Azreal is ok I guess. He never felt serious. Then again he was really just in the story for a ton of fights just to get fights and then gone, so....

The humor they try to shove into Tsubaki with her gag reels and joke moments just plain DON'T WORK! I feel Tsubaki is a great character when you just take her sincere moments without the stupid humor they shove in. I think Arcsys even kinda realizes this considering her new form is a far cry from what we got with Nu for Noel, so that's nice. She was great in Continuum Shift with her fighting with her loyalties and her corruption and all that.

Also, can we please please please just end the freaking Arakune and Litchi sub-plot? It never goes anywhere, moving in a circular plot path and feels like its just used to shoehorn in more Kokonoe scenes (which I never object to), some random Litchi fights, and to make Litchi a villain. I've always felt, from the first game to CP, that it starting to get old and just needs to end. (btw, is it officially R-act-knee, or R-ah-ku-ney? The character pronounce it R-act-knee, but the character select the other way. Then again it also pronounces Carl Clover as Carlulu and Jin Kisaragi as Jin Ki-sa-ra-giiii, which I find humorous)

Also, can we please please please just end the freaking Arakune and Litchi sub-plot? It never goes anywhere, moving in a circular plot path and feels like its just used to shoehorn in more Kokonoe scenes (which I never object to), some random Litchi fights, and to make Litchi a villain. I've always felt, from the first game to CP, that it starting to get old and just needs to end. (btw, is it officially R-act-knee, or R-ah-ku-ney? The character pronounce it R-act-knee, but the character select the other way. Then again it also pronounces Carl Clover as Carlulu and Jin Kisaragi as Jin Ki-sa-ra-giiii, which I find humorous)

I thought the Bad Ending in Continuum Shift for Arakune would have been the best way to end it, and actually touched me. Litchi's too air-headed to get that Arakune just wants to die at this point. Meanwhile Litchi is just saying,
"YOU DIE WHEN I SAY YOU CAN DIE PUDDLE"
And being boobs on legs.jpg

Also, It's R-Ah-Ku-Ney. It's not like Bullet is pronounced Burret, like the ingame announcer decides is cool to do. I actually thought it was Ah-Rah-Kooh-Ney for a while, funny enough.
Meanwhile Litchi isn't even a good villain.

XD She really isn't...

But everyone in the story pronounes it R-act-knee, like he's some sort of spider D:

Can we just take a second, however, to marvel at just how BAD the ingame announcer at actually most of these character names? It's been a source of childish chuckles between me and my friends for years now.

Does anyone else feel the Gag reels are a bit of a waste? Yeah we do occasionally get good ones, like all of Ragna's and the Noel cosplay ones, but a lot of them, like Platinum's, Tsubakis, and most of the cast just feel...bad...Not interesting or funny, hell many aren't even that fanservicy to compensate (n-not that that is fair compensation or anything...).

Their humorous characters ARE great. I think Ragna can be a good blend when his 'edginess' is played for comedy, but yeah, Hakumen rubs me the wrong way. A lot of the other semi-serious characters like Bullet have really stupid and already used humor as their main source, like the fanservice and not knowing how to actually dress or be female with Bullet >_> Azreal is ok I guess. He never felt serious. Then again he was really just in the story for a ton of fights just to get fights and then gone, so....
Completely correct. Speaking of Ragna's comedic aspect, he really seemed to work in Valkenhayn's gag reel. Seriously, give us more of that Ragna, instead of the needless edginess we constantly get.
Also, yes, the fanservice is weird, and oddly out of place.

The humor they try to shove into Tsubaki with her gag reels and joke moments just plain DON'T WORK! I feel Tsubaki is a great character when you just take her sincere moments without the stupid humor they shove in. I think Arcsys even kinda realizes this considering her new form is a far cry from what we got with Nu for Noel, so that's nice. She was great in Continuum Shift with her fighting with her loyalties and her corruption and all that.
Alright, I'm sorry, but I really dislike Tsubaki.
Normally she's fine but sometimes she just comes off to me as a, well, tool.

Also, can we please please please just end the freaking Arakune and Litchi sub-plot? It never goes anywhere, moving in a circular plot path and feels like its just used to shoehorn in more Kokonoe scenes (which I never object to), some random Litchi fights, and to make Litchi a villain. I've always felt, from the first game to CP, that it starting to get old and just needs to end.
Yes. I'm tired of this sub-plot.
At first it might have been kind of interesting, now it's so boring and bland and just makes Litchi look like horrible human being.
I thought the Bad Ending in Continuum Shift for Arakune would have been the best way to end it, and actually touched me. Litchi's too air-headed to get that Arakune just wants to die at this point. Meanwhile Litchi is just saying,
"YOU DIE WHEN I SAY YOU CAN DIE PUDDLE"
And being boobs on legs.jpg

[snip]
Meanwhile Litchi isn't even a good villain.
I seriously wish they had ended the sub-plot here, as at this point it was starting to overstay its welcome.
They just need husubando puddle subplot to continue for Litchi to be a villain.
I will argue that I'm fine with Litchi being a villain, just because I'm hoping for some kind of emotional scene with Bang.
Anything to keep Bang relevant, I suppose.

XD She really isn't...

But everyone in the story pronounes it R-act-knee, like he's some sort of spider D:

Can we just take a second, however, to marvel at just how BAD the ingame announcer at actually most of these character names? It's been a source of childish chuckles between me and my friends for years now.

Does anyone else feel the Gag reels are a bit of a waste? Yeah we do occasionally get good ones, like all of Ragna's and the Noel cosplay ones, but a lot of them, like Platinum's, Tsubakis, and most of the cast just feel...bad...Not interesting or funny, hell many aren't even that fanservicy to compensate (n-not that that is fair compensation or anything...).

How dare you mock the gag reels. :U
Hazama's! Litchi's! Relius'! Noel's CS One!
MAKOTO'S!!
They're so good. ;w;
Seriously I absolutely love them. The writing is so fantastic and clever that it just melds.
I feel like the joking feel of the gag reels is near perfect for Blazblue's cast. And Makoto's...
Good god Makoto's.
"Mommy's back, and totally not preggers anymore!" -Hazama

Yeah, they definitely run out of ideas eventually.
The gems like Hazama's or Relius' kind of make up for it, though.

Eww, broken quotes :/

Anyway, yeah, Tsubaki comes off as a tool a lot. The Tsubaki I like is when she gets emotional and you see that stress, see those moments when she isn't mind controlled, when she's an actual person and some of her emotional moments with Jin are pretty good I feel. Hell, anything to paint Jin in a good light. By this point I'm so tired of Jin it pisses me off. He's such an asshole and never nice to ANYONE! He abuses Noel, constantly fights with Ragna for little to no reason, and constantly talks down to everyone and gets all angsty. I honestly find it more overbearing and annoying than the Ragna Edginess, mostly cause that's balanced with the often lampshading of Ragna's edginess, Tao, Luna/Sena, Rachel, or other more comedic characters being amazingly prominent whenever Ragna does get overly edgy to balance it out. Combine that with a lot of really legit moments and he grows on you. Jin I'm just tired of. He's never nice and never thinks of anyone but himself, obsessed with Ragna and Tsubaki, and he seems to be growing a hero complex. How can Rachel be calling this guy a hero again?

How dare you mock the gag reels. :U
Hazama's! Litchi's! Relius'! Noel's CS One!
MAKOTO'S!!
They're so good. ;w;
Seriously I absolutely love them. The writing is so fantastic and clever that it just melds.
I feel like the joking feel of the gag reels is near perfect for Blazblue's cast. And Makoto's...
Good god Makoto's.
"Mommy's back, and totally not preggers anymore!" -Hazama
Oh yeah, those are great, but I mean there are a TON of subpar ones IMO. Enough subpar ones that they need to back off of the gag reels a bit. I always look forward to them, but some of them jsut stick in the back of my head as really bad compared to actually legit funny ones.

Anyway, yeah, Tsubaki comes off as a tool a lot. The Tsubaki I like is when she gets emotional and you see that stress, see those moments when she isn't mind controlled, when she's an actual person and some of her emotional moments with Jin are pretty good I feel. Hell, anything to paint Jin in a good light. By this point I'm so tired of Jin it pisses me off. He's such an asshole and never nice to ANYONE! He abuses Noel, constantly fights with Ragna for little to no reason, and constantly talks down to everyone and gets all angsty. I honestly find it more overbearing and annoying than the Ragna Edginess, mostly cause that's balanced with the often lampshading of Ragna's edginess, Tao, Luna/Sena, Rachel, or other more comedic characters being amazingly prominent whenever Ragna does get overly edgy to balance it out. Combine that with a lot of really legit moments and he grows on you. Jin I'm just tired of. He's never nice and never thinks of anyone but himself, obsessed with Ragna and Tsubaki, and he seems to be growing a hero complex. How can Rachel be calling this guy a hero again?

Oh yeah, those are great, but I mean there are a TON of subpar ones IMO. Enough subpar ones that they need to back off of the gag reels a bit. I always look forward to them, but some of them jsut stick in the back of my head as really bad compared to actually legit funny ones.
Oh my god.
Somebody else who actually likes Ragna.
I feel like humanity has a reason now.
But seriously I like Jin, and I feel totally fine if they go ahead and make Jin the main character, since I'm on team "Make Ragna A Villain", and all that. But I love Ragna to death, and hate it when people say he's just edge. He's more than that, he's the unwilling protagonist, and the guy the bad things happen to, while also being touching with moments like the "Don't tell anybody about Tao's nap spot, good guy" followed by laughter, and "Alright Tao, I won't tell a soul, I swear."

Seriously he's cool. While I agree with him looking like a villain in CP's ending, with the final quote from the game and all, I do feel like people underestimate his worth.

Also Jin gets to be Rachel's boytoy or whatever as long as she's got Hakumen on call.
Either way, Ragna ain't getting a piece of that gothloli action till he deals with Gay Bro and Robo-Bro.

Dude, you do realize Rachel has thing for Ragna right? The game hints that this not-so-subtley. She just screws with jIn cause she has to :/

Also, make Ragna a villain? I highly doubt that. I mean he might be consumed by his own power as they might be hinting, but I really don't want to see Ragna become a bad guy. I hate Jin, and without Ragna we get just Jin and Noel as the main 2 protagonists...and I definately don't want that D:

Sorry about that, text is lagging due to having tons of pages open....

Yes, Tsubaki is good sometimes, but rarely. She gets kind of annoying.

I see a lot of Jin hate, which I do really understand.
He's more interesting to me than Ragna is. With Ragna, his whole life is basically everything possible going wrong for him. Nothing good really happens to him, so he's not really interesting. It just comes off as them fishing for sentimentality.
With Jin, he's had good things happen to him, so he's not just "oh! Look at me being angsty! Feel bad for me!"

Here's the thing with him hating Noel; it isn't really his personality doing this.
He used to have a good relationship with Noel/Saya until Saya gave him Yukianesa. Yukianesa just made him go insane, as it intensifies his emotions (why he's obsessed with Ragna, due to wanting more attention from him as a child.)
But seriously I like Jin, and I feel totally fine if they go ahead and make Jin the main character, since I'm on team "Make Ragna A Villain", and all that. But I love Ragna to death, and hate it when people say he's just edge. He's more than that, he's the unwilling protagonist, and the guy the bad things happen to, while also being touching with moments like the "Don't tell anybody about Tao's nap spot, good guy" followed by laughter, and "Alright Tao, I won't tell a soul, I swear."

Seriously he's cool. While I agree with him looking like a villain in CP's ending, with the final quote from the game and all, I do feel like people underestimate his worth.
I will admit Ragna's moments with Tao makes him a really good character.
Does anyone else agree it was a wasted opportunity to make Tao the love interest? I really don't think he needs one, but it's a better alternate to his dynamic with Celica.

Dude, you do realize Rachel has thing for Ragna right? The game hints that this not-so-subtley. She just screws with jIn cause she has to :/

Also, make Ragna a villain? I highly doubt that. I mean he might be consumed by his own power as they might be hinting, but I really don't want to see Ragna become a bad guy. I hate Jin, and without Ragna we get just Jin and Noel as the main 2 protagonists...and I definately don't want that D:
I know about Rachel and Ragna. But come on, Jin's probably just gonna go all stockholm syndrome or whatever.
Either way, Ragna probably doesn't feel the same way at all.

But on the term of Ragna becoming a villain, imagine the kinda crap we'd get from that:
Hazama might actually become a good guy, or at least an ally.
Ragna gets to go psuedo-Hazama,
And we might get to see the REAL Black Beast stuff Ragna can pull off, when he's been consumed, with no limits.

Plus, they're making it look like Tsubaki/Jin will be the crime fighting duo of the century.
And I'm ok with that, but come on. I want evil Raggy. Or maybe they might just do a Terumi and add Evil Ragna to the roster, and turn Ragna back, if he does go evil.

...Because you know they'd totally pull some "WE CAN STILL SAVE HIM" crap.

Tao? The love interest? I do admit I'd like to get a bit more character for Tao...

I still ship rachel x ragna XP

Blast Beast Ragna could be cool, yeah.

With Jin, his backstory is a bit less silly than Ragna's in that regard. But his personality on screen is just always so atrocious to me I just can't like him. At all. Even with the legit reasoning, they still make him an ass almost 24/7 in a way that's totally unlikable to me. He's such a killjoy and jerkface I just want to see him get knocked out or actually work with the people on his team for once instead of treating them like they're useless extras, which they aren't.

Hazama? Good guy...heheheh. You're funny.

Hazama? Good guy...heheheh. You're funny.
Dude,
The only troll bigger than dying,
Is to actually become a good guy.
And we all know Hazama trolls only and exclusively to the fullest.

i still hope so

Tao? The love interest? I do admit I'd like to get a bit more character for Tao...

I still ship rachel x ragna XP
While they've already developed Rachel's crush for him, to me, it would still make no sense to me because it's mostly one-sided.
I mostly would prefer Tao because I want more character development for her, and because their interactions are much better then the "YOU'RE STUPID" "NO YOU'RE STUPID" interactions with Rachel.

With Jin, his backstory is a bit less silly than Ragna's in that regard. But his personality on screen is just always so atrocious to me I just can't like him. At all. Even with the legit reasoning, they still make him an ass almost 24/7 in a way that's totally unlikable to me. He's such a killjoy and jerkface I just want to see him get knocked out or actually work with the people on his team for once instead of treating them like they're useless extras, which they aren't.
Meh, I suppose it's just opinion.
He's got his moments but I like his backstory and character enough for them to not bother me.
Dude,
The only troll bigger than dying,
Is to actually become a good guy.
And we all know Hazama trolls only and exclusively to the fullest.

i still hope so
Take my money, I want Hazama to become a good guy.

*Seeing cool character*
*Wanting to use them just because they're cool*
*Feeling sad when you can't use them right because you're not cool*

That was totally me when I first played Hazama in the arcade rips of Continuum Shift.

I loved him but DAYMN I just could not figure out this guy, but I kept trying and trying and trying and now he's my second best character. :D

Going back to Tsubaki...

I think you all forgot that Tsubaki is the way she is because she believes that Noel stole everything away from her, particularly long time crush Jin. In other words, she's upset she can't get the boy she pined for years, ruins her high school friendships and turns into weapon because continued anger at Noel. Also, "justice told me to do it!"

She's a bitch.

Anyways, I like Kagura too and try to main him but fail terribly at it. I tend to cycle around my mains because I'm not really sure who I'm actually good with...

I play Hazama and Kagura mainly. Occasionally hop onto Tao and Rachel, and play Platinum when I feel like being an ass to my friends :3

Going back to Tsubaki...

I think you all forgot that Tsubaki is the way she is because she believes that Noel stole everything away from her, particularly long time crush Jin. In other words, she's upset she can't get the boy she pined for years, ruins her high school friendships and turns into weapon because continued anger at Noel. Also, "justice told me to do it!"

She's a bitch.

Anyways, I like Kagura too and try to main him but fail terribly at it. I tend to cycle around my mains because I'm not really sure who I'm actually good with...
Yes. This. She's such a tool..

and play Platinum when I feel like being an ass to my friends :3
My best friend does this to me.
You horrible person...

My best friend does this to me.
You horrible person...
I have no regrets heheheh.

Am I the only one that hates fighting Bang? He never, EVER stands still and his freaking counters have a ton of armor to them. combine with status effects and Fu-Rin-Ka-Zin, and its just a nightmare Q_q

I have no regrets heheheh.

Am I the only one that hates fighting Bang? He never, EVER stands still and his freaking counters have a ton of armor to them. combine with status effects and Fu-Rin-Ka-Zin, and its just a nightmare Q_q
I've gotten used to fighting him as said friend (The15thWing ugh) mains him.
He's so jumpy, but each counter only blocks a certain way, so keep that in mind. His launcher only links on crouching opponents, so it's kind of good to crouch if he's going to get a hitconfirm.
I just kind of grab him as much as possible because I'm scrubby and bad and I do that anyways as Jin

He's still really annoying to fight, though...

Wow all this talk criticizing story and blah blah since I last logged in. I'm just gonna lay out my feelings about this franchise:

I feel the same way about it that I do about Street Fighter 4, Marvel Vs Capcom 3, and most of the post SF4 fighters. I don't dislike/hate it, but I feel it's thoroughly mediocre (or maybe average at best) in just about every area (except music). Gameplay, art, story, etc. all "eh" at best.

It's a poor man's Guilty Gear AC, just like SF4 is a poor man's Super Turbo, and Mvc3 is a poor man's Mvc2 or Skullgirls. Yes, I know that what does make these games different from their predecessors makes them very different in some ways, but I feel most of these changes are for the worse rather than the best.

All these post SF4 fighters are especially grating to me when compared to the masterpieces that came before them like Vampire Savior, Marvel Vs Capcom 2, Samurai Showdown, Super Turbo, SF Alpha, Guilty Gear AC, Soul Calibur 2, etc. I just find it really hard to tolerate games like Blazblue and SF4 when I could be playing games like the aforementioned with friends. And this is not nostalgia goggles talking, because I got into fighters as a whole after SF4 was released.

The only thing I like is that Blazblue popularized the whole "visual novel story mode" element of fighters that now shows up in stuff like Skullgirls. Other then that, it can be fun to play with friends, but I can't really get into it because I feel I have vastly superior options. I've played two games in the series, logged quite a few hours (much like Mvc3, which I wanted to like desperately and put months into before calling it quits and going back to mvc2), and it's still just kind of eh to me.

I feel the serie has its merits. I wouldn't say its 'eh' at all tbh. Considering its one of the things that really helped popularize these more niche fighters here in the west, I give it credit. I mean, yes, I see what you're saying, but I personally like the drive mechanic they have and other things they do to differentiate it. It was one of the first real HD 2D fighters and does deserve credit. I feel its leaps and bounds ahead of SF4 and MvC3.

It's all pretty subjective anyway so yeah. I can understand that.

I do like drives, though having such moves on its own button instead of inputs is more of an aesthetic thing than anything IMO.

I like BlazBlue for a few reasons.
The first is because of character designs. Putting aside the basic ones, it's got a few gems to me. Kagura, Kokonoe, Valkenhayn, Bang, Tao, Tager... I really like all of their designs.
Now, while I won't say the story is particularly good, you need to appreciate how much work went into it.
The story could fit into, like, five books.
Finally, the gameplay really shines for me. It's really nicely paced, and there's a lot I feel it has over other fighting games.
This could be because I've really narrowed down my options by disliking traditional fighters (except Guilty Gear somewhat, even though it's kind of a mix between the two, it's still one of my favorites).

Excuse me, isn't that Noel's fault? :U
Plus, she's told that by Hazama, and since she had such unwavering faith to the imperator, of course she believed it.
Either way, Noel did mess up Tsubaki's life.

I've gotten used to fighting him as said friend (The15thWing ugh) mains him.
SHISHIGAMI BANG HAS ARRIVED
TO PRESSURE AND MIXUP
UNTIL EVIL IS VANQUISHED.

Also I like how people are bashing Blazblue, when Blazblue is still superior to most other fighters.
I mean, I still like P4A Ultimax better, but Blazblue is good.

I just don't get the whole Traditional Fighter appeal. It's boring when it comes down to it. Blazblue manages to be more combo-centric than games like Guilty Gear or SF4, but it's not absurdly long combos. Overall it's just better. Characters are memorable, gameplay is fun, music is fantastic, and combos can get pretty complex. I can't see why some people dislike it, or say older fighters are better by any means. But that's just me disliking more Traditional Fighters.

Now, while I won't say the story is particularly good, you need to appreciate how much work went into it.
The story could fit into, like, five books.

Agree and disagree. Like I said, I like that it used the Visual Novel format fairly well, and I like that it tried to have a story. But, I'd say the "work" you credit it isn't really at all. It's pretty obvious that the story is as fucking convoluted a clusterfuck soap opera as it is for one reason: Money. Keep making new games/updates, keep adding new cliff hangers, characters, conspiracies. Gotta keep milking dat franchise.

I'd be honestly surprised if any large amount of planning went into the general structure of the saga.

This could be because I've really narrowed down my options by disliking traditional fighters (except Guilty Gear somewhat, even though it's kind of a mix between the two, it's still one of my favorites).

Not sure what you mean by "traditional" if you think Guilty Gear is mix of it. Guilty Gear is a straight up, 100% pure bred air dash fighter imo. "Traditional" is something more like Street Fighter, King of Fighters, Samurai Showdown, etc. where there are little or no air mobility options, move chaining, or safety on air moves or approaches.

I just don't get the whole Traditional Fighter appeal. It's boring when it comes down to it. Blazblue manages to be more combo-centric than games like Guilty Gear or SF4, but it's not absurdly long combos. Overall it's just better. Characters are memorable, gameplay is fun, music is fantastic, and combos can get pretty complex. I can't see why some people dislike it, or say older fighters are better by any means. But that's just me disliking more Traditional Fighters.
I actually prefer the air dash fighter style myself, but as far as air dashers go, Blazblue is just a slower paced, simpler Guilty Gear imo. Like I said, it does differentiate itself a bit, but not in any ways I actually like.

That Guilty Gear doesn't have long combos is an opinion mainly held by people who haven't really played it that much. Not sure why you'd even want longer combos though, better to have both players in control and making strategic choices as much as possible, instead of sitting in combos waiting for hitstun to end.

IMO, a good fighting game however is all about the neutral game and footsies/spacing. If that's good, it doesn't matter how well or how poorly combos are handled.

I like BlazBlue, but I kind of consider it to be a bit of a guilty pleasure.

The story's not really that well written (although it does have its moments), but I really love the characters for the most part and I find myself oddly interested in what happens next.

As for the gameplay, I feel that consistently (well, up until CPE anyway) has some of the most creative moveset ideas in the genre, but they can't seem to actually execute it well at all most of the time. This makes it a very frustrating series to want to be a big fan of.

Excuse me, isn't that Noel's fault? :U
Plus, she's told that by Hazama, and since she had such unwavering faith to the imperator, of course she believed it.
Either way, Noel did mess up Tsubaki's life.
No, she didn't.
Tsubaki is exaggerating by sayng she did.
What did Noel do? Get a job as a secretary for some guy she isn't even interested in when Tsubaki herself didn't even want to be a secretary?

I actually prefer the air dash fighter style myself, but as far as air dashers go, Blazblue is just a slower paced, simpler Guilty Gear imo. Like I said, it does differentiate itself a bit, but not in any ways I actually like.

That Guilty Gear doesn't have long combos is an opinion mainly held by people who haven't really played it that much. Not sure why you'd even want longer combos though, better to have both players in control and making strategic choices as much as possible, instead of sitting in combos waiting for hitstun to end.
I've played Guilty Gear, and I just feel like unless you're dumping resources, combos feel underwhelming. Plus their shorter than the equivalent of another fighter (Like Blazblue, considering most of the time in Blazblue meter equals longer hits, or even just extensions). Meanwhile longer combos allow options for things like resets or the such, while the small combos in Guilty Gear just go "Short Combo -> Oki -> Short Combo" for the whole time. Plus Guilty Gear just feels slow compared to Blazblue. I don't like it nearly as much.

Agree and disagree. Like I said, I like that it used the Visual Novel format fairly well, and I like that it tried to have a story. But, I'd say the "work" you credit it isn't really at all. It's pretty obvious that the story is as fucking convoluted a clusterfuck soap opera as it is for one reason: Money. Keep making new games/updates, keep adding new cliff hangers, characters, conspiracies. Gotta keep milking dat franchise.

Not sure what you mean by "traditional" if you think Guilty Gear is mix of it. Guilty Gear is a straight up, 100% pure bred air dash fighter imo. "Traditional" is something more like Street Fighter, King of Fighters, Samurai Showdown, etc. where there are little or no air mobility options, move chaining, or safety on air moves or approaches.

Regarding the story, when I mean "Work" I meant some poor sap had to sit and write all of it.
It's big for a fighting game.
I never said what was there was good.

To me, what classifies as a traditional fighter is a slower pace.
From the GG games I've played it seems to be paced slower.
Now, with that said, I've only recently got into it somewhat competitively. I'm not good at it in any stretch.
So I'm probably wrong.

I've played Guilty Gear, and I just feel like unless you're dumping resources, combos feel underwhelming. Plus their shorter than the equivalent of another fighter (Like Blazblue). Meanwhile longer combos allow options for things like resets or the such, while the small combos in Guilty Gear just go "Short Combo -> Oki -> Short Combo" for the whole time. Plus Guilty Gear just feels slow compared to Blazblue. I don't like it nearly as much.

Guilty Gear is much, much, much faster then Blazblue in pretty much every way. If you feel slower, it's because you haven't adapted to the movement or character options as well.

Like I said (or rather attempted to ninja edit into my last post) combos are rather irrelevant compared to an excellent neutral game with good pacing and strong fundamentals, which Guilty Gear absolutely has. If you're playing fighters for combos and not strategy, IMO you'd be better off playing a rhythm game.

Guilty Gear Combo. Not sure why you'd want anything longer then this, would be a good way to disrupt the flow of the match.

Hell, give me Vampire Savior combos. That games speed is insane.

To me, what classifies as a traditional fighter is a slower pace.
From the GG games I've played it seems to be paced slower.
Now, with that said, I've only recently got into it somewhat competitively. I'm not good at it in any stretch.
So I'm probably wrong.
Pretty much everything in Guilty Gear is faster so Blazblue should be traditional then :3

It's similar to how some newbies think Mvc3 is faster then Mvc2. Mvc3 has the illusion of greater speed, but its pacing, input, techniques, match flow, etc. are all ages slower.

Good example of Guilty Gear speed and match pace. Constant choice, constant movement on both sides, constant reading. Could probably find better but don't feel like looking through tournament archives right now.

Holy trinity of speed king fighters is Vampire Savior, Guilty Gear, and Marvel Vs Capcom 2 imo.

Back