• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Blocking low multihits on the way down

Status
Not open for further replies.

WarpedEcho

lol, lmao
Reaction score
Steam
Warped Echo
Ms. Fortune Big Band Painwheel
If you happen to block a low in the air and it has multiple hits, when you land to block the rest of the hits, you no longer have to block low. I know that if you land frame perfectly mid multihit low, the first hitting part of that low hits low, then you can get pasted for upbacking. Is there a reasoning for this?

MOD EDIT: Thread Locked by OP request.

Not sure if I understand you correctly.. I will answer the question that I am reading here

All high/low multihits got changed to "only the first hit that connects is high/low, all further ones are mid"
Eg Parasoul jumping in with jHK used to force people to block high the entire time (if they blocked the first hit, then switched to crouch guard, the further hits would tag them)
That was removed in favour of aforementioned change, so you don't "randomly" get tagged mid-button anymore.

So if you block a low multihit in the air, the first hit has connected = all further ones are mid (no need to block low anymore)
If you instead land and then the 2nd/whatever hit of the low hits you after you land = it's the first hit that actually connects, so you get hit

Reactions: Colossi
I know that was the change. I just think it's weird that air blocking something (which doesn't matter if you're downback or back to block) lets you escape blocking the first hit that actually matters on the ground. Like, it makes lows in pressure really negligible sometimes. Also, some really annoying situations occur when you are trying to chain into a low to paste an upback in pressure. Let's say you're Squigly and you try to hit them low on the way down upon landing with cr lk. Instead, they block a pixel from the ground. Wanting to remedy this situation, you chain into cr mk cr hp. But instead of getting pasted, they land cancel the cr lk blockstun, upback before the cr mk connects on the ground and get to chickenblock it, and then chicken block the cr hp after that, until they land and still block it mid because of the situation I started this thread about. Really aggravating. The other option is trying to air throw RIGHT after you notice them chicken blocking the cr lk in the first place on the way down. But confirming that first block and then deciding to air throw them is much more difficult than trying to paste them low a second time, but it doesn't work ; ;

All high/low multihits got changed to "only the first hit that connects is high/low, all further ones are mid"
I didn't know that all lows were changed. This explains why sometimes I got a hit confirm as a low with the second hit from Val's c.mk, that I always thought to be a mid.

Instead, they block a pixel from the ground. Wanting to remedy this situation, you chain into cr mk cr hp. But instead of getting pasted, they land cancel the cr lk blockstun, upback before the cr mk connects on the ground and get to chickenblock it, (emphasis mine)
I know - and I also just checked to make sure - that as long as you are still in an attack and close to them, they CANNOT UPBACK TO JUMP. If you are actually cancelling the c.LK into c.MK, or even just doing the c.MK within 4f of the c.LK fully ending, they will not jump. They will land from the airblock and stay in ground preblock and get hit.
So if that's happening to you, you're doing the followup attack slowly enough that they could jump anyway.

To your original question, that's sort of a situation I could detect, but I don't think it's enough of a problem to warrant it. Plus it would interact weirdly with the unblockable protection - if you got hit low but it was unblockable protected then the next hit would...also be low? No thanks.

Reactions: WarpedEcho
I know - and I also just checked to make sure - that as long as you are still in an attack and close to them, they CANNOT UPBACK TO JUMP. If you are actually cancelling the c.LK into c.MK, or even just doing the c.MK within 4f of the c.LK fully ending, they will not jump. They will land from the airblock and stay in ground preblock and get hit.
So if that's happening to you, you're doing the followup attack slowly enough that they could jump anyway.

To your original question, that's sort of a situation I could detect, but I don't think it's enough of a problem to warrant it. Plus it would interact weirdly with the unblockable protection - if you got hit low but it was unblockable protected then the next hit would...also be low? No thanks.
; ; okay then. I really wanted this for assists as well more than anything, but if it causes more trouble than it's worth then I guess I can live with it. Thanks for the response

edit: I know that the next hit being low would be bullshit but man would that be so good haha

Last edited:
- All multihitting lows will hit low until one of the hits makes contact with a grounded point character?

Does that break anything?

I find Filia french twist assist hitting opponents up backing just above ground a lot too, lol.
It's whatever though.

Reactions: WarpedEcho
On one further note, I realized why I wasn't hitting them with a low when they were "upbacking", it was because I had CPU set to jump and Block all but not lows. So there was no preblock to glue them to the ground for the crmk crhp string to hit. : P

- All multihitting lows will hit low until one of the hits makes contact with a grounded point character?
Does that break anything?
No, it's also not easy to detect so I'm not gonna. :^)

No, it's also not easy to detect so I'm not gonna. :^)
Gotchya, thanks for not smiting me!
On one further note, I realized why I wasn't hitting them with a low when they were "upbacking", it was because I had CPU set to jump and Block all but not lows. So there was no preblock to glue them to the ground for the crmk crhp string to hit. : P
Sometimes it's better to record a dummy holding up back then play it back as a reversal.
It loses to meaties though.

Status
Not open for further replies.