• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Cerebrawl

Wenzel

Reaction score
Website
www.twitch.tv
Steam
Wenzeln
PSN
Wenzeln
Ms. Fortune Cerebella Big Band

A fighting game from the minds of Zero Dimension.
Story

Harmon City was a typical modern metropolis. But when an Imagination Bomb is detonated at the center of the city, Harmon City and its inhabitants are changed forever.

As the blast engulfs the region, the minds of the people start spilling into the reality. Reality cannot hold all the different thoughts and possibilities, and when the content of everyone’s psyche start to collide, each individual is thrusted into their own dimension. In these pocket dimensions, each citizen of Harmon City grow new worlds based on their ideals and desires.

As fast as these worlds started to form, the pocket dimensions begin to re-collapse into reality. The many dimension-worlds start spiraling back into the place from which they came, but Harmon City has only limited space. The people who were merely residents of the city now have a chance to form their environment, but to do so they need to fight for real estate, as their dimension-worlds will need space to take root in the newly forming Harmon City.

Mechanics/ Ideas for the game

Could you explain how the tag-team system will work in Cerebrawl? Are you doing anything new here?

We’ve always liked the idea of making a team-based fighting game. We’ve seen games that have a team element to them, but was never satisfied how they were implemented. When Street Fighter X Tekken came out we were really excited, but we thought we could come up with a system that would encourage more team-work and coordination between the players on a team. Tekken Tag Tournament 2 had a more attractive team system. And our system is more similar to this, but we think we can get way more mileage out of the mechanic by implementing it into a more flexible MvC2 style system.

The way the tag team system will work in Cerebrawl is the point character calls Assist Character on screen. When the Assist Character’s player is prompted, he/she can input one normal/command-normal or special move that can be performed from the ground. When the Assist character reaches the play space, they will perform the inputted move, then jump back off screen.

Other than that we plan on having the staple mechanics of a team fighting game, such as; raw tags, team supers, delayed hyper cancels, etc.

You’ve mentioned that the stages in the game will break and collapse, affecting the meta. How so? Are you working on any features similar to this that add further dynamism to matches?

The stage breaks don’t take the meta much farther than extending the stage and shrinking the stage. There are no interactables etc. The walls you decide to break change the dynamics of the neutral game. Defensive characters will prefer breaking the walls to extend the range they can run away, where as rushdown characters will want to break the floor and take the fight to closer quarters so they can get on their opponents quicker.

We’re also experimenting with how specifically the wall breaks and floor breaks will change character’s damage output. This will subtly change the meta as well, seeing that players will have to choose whether they want the extra damage from wall breaks at the cost of a different meta once the stage size is changed.

We’re hoping elements like this will lead each match to build up to crucial decisions that will affect the matchup.

Are you hoping that Cerebrawl will become integrated in the fighting game community? Are you designing the game with that in mind? Also, will there be features inside the game that make it easy for livestreaming or, at least, recording footage?

Integrating into the community is based on whether the community wants us. We work hard to make sure that the game is designed well, but also designed around what the community wants. We’re very open to feedback. One thing we want to do that’s entirely for the community is design Cerebrawl for tournaments. Unlike fighting games that were designed for the arcade, that were then adopted into tournaments, we want to create a game that is designed with tournaments in mind.

There will be a tournament mode that disables the start button – to pause you actually have to press L1 + R1 + Start so there are no accidental pauses. And in first to X amount of wins formats, the winner of a match will get to choose the next stage. This will be important because the meta of each stage will vary, since the layout and size of each stage will be different.

There will only be live recording if we can get onto the PS4, which is what we’re aiming for currently, as well as PC, Mac, and Linux. We’ve heard some concern about not being on the Xbox One, and we’re open to that as long as we have the resources for it. As it stands, since we’re bootstrapping this ourselves, we’re pretty limited.

It seems that you’re being very open about the development of Cerebrawl, even livestreaming it as you go. In what various ways are you building up and working with a fan base while building the game? And what is this "forever beta" version that you’ve mentioned?

Yes, we want to be completely transparent with the development of Cerebrawl so that the community is a large part of our development process. We want to make sure the game succeeds, and the only way to do that is to make a game that the community has a say in. The FGC will let you know what they don’t like, and loudly, and we will take full advantage of it.

The forever beta is an opportunity for players to try out new characters, and help us test balance changes before they hit the main game client. Is it similar, if not exactly the same as the Skullgirls Endless Beta? Absolutely, it’s a fantastic idea and we’re huge Mike Z fans.

Characters
Helen Brutehilde

Operator 28

tacknight.jpg

Susan of Slummerville

Animations in game

super_punch01.gif
j_fierce.gif
neutral_jump.gif

c_forward.gif
s_strong.gif
walk_forward.gif

Official links:

http://www.cerebrawl.in
http://cerebrawlin.tumblr.com
http://www.twitch.tv/cerebrawlin stream every Saturday and Wednesday at 7PM PST
http://twitter.com/cerebrawlin

-----------

Oct 25 2015 - Cerebrawl Is A “Love Letter To Marvel vs. Capcom 2”

Last edited:
When's Cerebella? XP

mmmmhh... I'm going to keep this in the background see if anything cool pops up from these people. for right now just reading the mechanics of the game they seem to be looking at a more SkullGirlian approach with a twist of Tekken Tag Team ?

Yeah... the characters are okay I guess. :I

oh well. gonna wait on it.

What I want to know is what they'll being to the table for the MvC2 formula that SG didn't improve/tighten and characters that won't just feel like retreads of McD and SG chars. I'm all for more team fighters. If its more 2v2 like TbD or SFxT then what are they going to do with it?

You've got interesting char designs and lore, but no gameplay footage. The assist mechanic sounds like it would have a high execution window given it isn't preset and you have to input the assist as it appears. The only real thing I'm seeing from this is stage breaking, which affects damage output and stage size. A meat idea, but it feels like there isn't enough concrete ideas here to form an idea of what the is like

Yeah, I'd like to see more too. Some gameplay and more characters.

Artist's gallery: http://niw.deviantart.com/

I like Operator 28 (push him more yellow and less olive drab he'll be even better) and the blending of ancient armor and modern warfare supply harnesses aesthetic. But the other characters look hardly to be in the same universe.

The art is very good, but the style choices are weird. Like Helen Brutehilde has a super-realistic chiseled abs but a cartoony face. The raw simplicity clashes with the complexity. Plus she has too many generic witch features (green skin, pointed hat, big nose, etc.).

Witch's chest also looks awkard from the sprites. Like, it looks like she's fairly flat or blow average, yet they bounce so much in one motion it makes them feel like rubber.

I feel like the chars could blend well together, but we need more context and more chars that fall inbetween the ones shown so far

EDIT: additionally, the characters revealed so far don't seem to lend at all to the tag system. Maybe 28, but Helen definitely seems like a loner. Especially given the fight for one's personnel world.

Last edited:
From what I've seen in their streams, their game runs in Unity. They did a little demo of it, but it was lacking a lot of hitstun and blocking stuff.

they stream pretty often on twitch.tv/cerebrawlin but they have archives turned off cause they listen to copywritten music and it'll get muted anyway (don't 100% agree with this but I guess it works).

I've been trying to keep up with it to the best of my ability since I saw the article on siliconera. The part I am the most excited about is the music by 2mello, that guy is amazing, and the songs he's made so far for the game are amazing.

Not super sold on the mechanics from what I've heard so far but the characters look cool and I'd really like to try it out once it gets finished.

Reactions: Wenzel
hmmm... the music is... fitting for what the game is going for both in setting wise and gameplay style.

A mix of JetSet Radio and SF3's music? Kinda? Eh... It's pretty good. The training room music however... eh. Something isn't clicking right there. It's very start and stop in it's melody I personally feel a training room should have music that has a very natural feel to it, something that hooks up the normal heat beat.

Now on the other end Cauldron Rave is really good. It fits the witch character and her strong wacky looks.

Will it be on Linux? I'll play literally any fighting game that gets a port.

When I saw the title, I thought it was talking about a Cerebella for Smash Brawl.. like my abandoned Cerebella project.

There are videos now...

It's believable they are actual in-engine videos (compared to say, Chainsaw Incident which was a video mockup) because you can see outside the stage when they juggle! This is good.

...I'd be happy to advise.

There are videos now...

It's believable they are actual in-engine videos (compared to say, Chainsaw Incident which was a video mockup) because you can see outside the stage when they juggle! This is good.

...I'd be happy to advise.

Well, the games actually playable right now, so if you REALLY wanted to test if what they're doing is real you can do that. For ten buckaroonies you get access to the prototypes and some other stuff. For five dollars more you get the soundtrack too.

The most recent build is 0.1e

http://www.cerebrawl.in/donate

Lookin' forward to the progress of this, the characters are weird and I like it.

Not totally sold on those character designs yet. I'm all for wacky and goofy, but I'm not sure if it's inspired wacky/goofy or "trying too hard" wacky and goofy. Will have to give it some time to see if it grows on me (as Skullgirls did).

i personally like the soldier knight guy. It's a cool mix.

it's funny actually: I can see this game's combo system having a very beat music style to it. That certain character combos match up with the rhythm of their own themes. That would be really cool you know?

Reactions: Vagplus
Yeah, I like him too. Blue Mohawk Girl probably second. Muscle Witch I'm not sure if I like or not. Nothing's outright unpleasant to look at so far though, so they have SFV beat, at least.

hooooo boy there are bugs. would be cool if some of you guys help me out here trying to nab em. I know that we have experience in finding stuff like that thanks to the endless beta.

It looks kool. Operator 28 interests me the most so far. Hope to see him some more.

I've just put a very minimal amount of time into the prototypes, but the most glaring thing I've noticed is that calling an assist and then tagging out will soft lock the game.
don't worry they already have that noted down.

Double Post [You can kill me but you'll never break my spirit~!]

oh lookie a combo. The system seems to be pretty loose. Much like Marvel vs Capcom indeed will happen i sense...

Reactions: Vagplus
These guys are streaming: https://www.twitch.tv/cerebrawlin

They are super super super relaxed. It's kinda weird actually... kinda like the opposite of a LabZero Stream where things have some kind of form. Here these guys are talking about the male anonymity while listening to funky radio.

It's a bit refreshing.

It's a bit refreshing.
I guess... I mean the chat was talking about the next American Civil War was going to be fought over Pineapple on or off the Pizza. This place is a heaven for nerds.

I should've asked some questions about the characters...damn. I still need to know whether Operator 28 uses military lingo or medieval lingo.

I should've asked some questions about the characters...damn. I still need to know whether Operator 28 uses military lingo or medieval lingo.
he's most likely going to use military lingo with a small mix of medieval. OP 28 is also stated to be a "zoner" type character. so expect long pokes with his sword and the use either grenades or something along those lines.

Also if I remember from an interview with NIW that OP 28 was supposed to be one of the largest characters in the game.

Also if I remember from an interview with NIW that OP 28 was supposed to be one of the largest characters in the game.
yeah he's going to be a lanky dude.

so expect long pokes with his sword and the use either grenades or something along those lines.
I don't know if he'll have grenades tho? I'm just basing it off an old image of Tac Knight but when someone asked why they don't have guns, his reply was that the idea for Tac Knight and co was based off the "what if" scenario and guns not being made but tactical gear was. So I'm just assuming only the gear is made, not the weapons. Unless grenades fall under tactical gear or some crap. I'm no military expert so sorry if that sounded dumb.
The link: http://niw.deviantart.com/art/Tac-Knight-Running-438351655

i mean... grenades kinda count... I mean there are different kinds of grenades and there are a few that serve a tactical purpose. There are ones that make smoke, flash bangs, ones that explode with small rubber balls (yeah these ones are used by the police actually) and since we're in the world of CereBrawl where Dreams Mix with Reality I could see OP 28 using grenades that use magic as well. sorta like Chris's Freeze/ Thunder Grenades from UMvC3.

Hmmm, yeah that makes sense.

Quote From NIW 3/9/16 6:20 PM:

yep!

we're still thinking about that kind of stuff

i'm definitely thinking of having grenades and such

there was a whole stream where we discussed whether or not the tac fantasy guys should have guns

but even if they do tac knight prob wont

i was thinking of maybe one of the pouches has caltropes in them

but honestly we'll probably have to just put in test assets and see what people respond to/ makes the game most fun

Reactions: Fumako and Gamrdogg
Wish I had some cash to try the prototype for the game. I would be happy to support Cerebrawl one way or another. Helen and Susan have caught my interest.