• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Report Change Incoming: Valentine, the Red Cross, and You...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use that pallete. :(

Me no like changes.

I'm hoping this color will looks better in gameplay.

The new colors look fine. Sucks that this is how things are going down this way though.

I thought black would have been the best option (perhaps with a slight red twinge like dried up blood if possible). The pink is too girly and soft.

However if it has already been editted, not much to discuss. I doubt it will be that noticeable in game.

On the cross changes in other games, they also took the crosses off signs on the hospitals and nurse hats in the change from Mother 2 to EarthBound, probably because NOA didn't want to deal with any copyright headaches.

I've used the purple because it's easier to convert off from pink.

Don't use Valentine let alone her default, but the hot pink just looks really off and would never get used to it. I understand the reason why this must be done and wouldn't want any more misfortune to fall into lab 0, but damn shame it wasn't a different color.

What would have to be changed about it? I wouldn't change the law for one character, because I thought of that at first lol.
I mean imagine Copyright Act of 1973, sub-section Valentine of Lab Zero v. Red Cross of the Geneva Convention.
It's just plain outdated. The media landscape has changed drastically.
I read in an article a while back that the reason the Red Cross is cracking down on such things is because it might make people associate the symbol with things it doesn't want to be associated with, which isn't happening. Because of their work it has become a universal symbol of health and medicine and no video game will ever change that. In fact, they might be enforcing it because it's usually associated with some form of medicinal thing. Nobody is damaging the Red Cross in any way by using their symbol and if someone were, there are other ways to get at them.
The current way the laws are handled also create these awkward situations that Nintendo got itself into last year, among other things. It's not really fit to deal with Youtube and world wide connectivity and the stuff that might happen in the future.

Do we have a picture of what it looks like in-game?

Reactions: Wenzel
I honestly hate the idea that someone could possibly sue over something as minuscule as this. Oh well the law's the law unfortunately. Even though that hot pink is the set change I wouldn't have minded orange like the others said.

Lol now I have to check if any of my fav Val palettes have red crosses now.

Last edited:
Lol now I have to check if any of my fav Val crosses have red crosses now.
Its only if there's a white back drop.

I read in an article a while back that the reason the Red Cross is cracking down on such things is because it might make people associate the symbol with things it doesn't want to be associated with, which isn't happening. Because of their work it has become a universal symbol of health and medicine and no video game will ever change that. In fact, they might be enforcing it because it's usually associated with some form of medicinal thing. Nobody is damaging the Red Cross in any way by using their symbol and if someone were, there are other ways to get at them.

The only time I head of this was when the Red Cross "strongly suggested" against using their logo in games with delicate subject matter. Apparently they felt that their logo was being misused in war-games such as Call of Duty or Battlefield, which seek to recreate the gritty authentic war aesthetic without proper regards to realistic combat or rules of engagement (so, a contradiction). The Red Cross probably just wants to keep their logo (and what they stand for) from not only being misappropriated but from being diluted into a completely meaningless symbol of "health", which I can understand. I don't see how Skullgirls plays into this but obviously Marvelous has to play by the rules here.

I'm not against this change if it looks alright in-game. How does it look in-game?

Time to live dangerously and go fire up some Doom.
4q9MLeJ.png

i like the red but im not going to complain its your game its up to you what you do with it

@Everyone else whose first reaction was "boy howdy I wish it were a different color":
Okay, so go make your own game and color your characters the way you want.
Then be told you have to change one even though you don't want to.
Then change it.
Then have a bunch of people tell you they don't like it, and see how you feel like responding to them.
Then go on a forum and post something nice and gentle.

I mean, I appreciate that everyone has opinions, but we are NOT ASKING.
We tried a bunch of other colors, we decided on this one. Keep in mind that red made her shuriken visible against the backgrounds, and the new color needed to also do that.
Multiple groups had to approve it, and a TON of art had to change. It is done. Get used to it.
Most of the time we would love to have this discussion, but not this time.

Here's in-game, for reference:
PqHOYh1.jpg

Time to live dangerously and go fire up some Doom.
4q9MLeJ.png

They changed that in all the newer versions of Doom (console ports) to just be a generic red and blue pill capsule.

EDIT: in-game looks fine to me. Shrug.

Reactions: TJF588
Because of their work it has become a universal symbol of health and medicine and no video game will ever change that.

I feel the same way.

However, since they want to continue to litigate against this sort of thing, it kind of makes sense to go after Valentine. She's kind of a murderer and brutally slices people to bits with surgical tools. Probably not the sort of thing you want to be associated with.

Smart by LZ to go ahead and do it themselves before anybody takes notice.

Is this in the PC build already?

Wow, this fucking sucks.

EDIT: The situation, not the colour labzero decided on.

@Everyone else whose first reaction was "boy howdy I wish it were a different color":
Okay, so go make your own game and color your characters the way you want.
Then be told you have to change one even though you don't want to.
Then change it.
Then have a bunch of people tell you they don't like it, and see how you feel like responding to them.
Then go on a forum and post something nice and gentle.

I mean, I appreciate that everyone has opinions, but we are NOT ASKING.
We tried a bunch of other colors, we decided on this one. Keep in mind that red made her shuriken visible against the backgrounds, and the new color needed to also do that.
Multiple groups had to approve it, and a TON of art had to change. It is done. Get used to it.
Most of the time we would love to have this discussion, but not this time.

Here's in-game, for reference:
PqHOYh1.jpg

Looks good to me in game. I think I can move on here.

Yeah the shadowing helps tone down the brightness so it's not as bad as I imagined.

Is this in the PC build already?
No. Soon enough.

Not trying to be rude but people are going to state their opinion, no matter if you ask for it or not.
That's kind of the nature of the internet.
Oh I know, that was mostly to stop the "hey can we vote please" bits.

Looks good in game, any and all qualms I had about the color are now gone.

Mike Z's not afraid to get mean, I fuckin' love it.

What about this one?
I believe exemption is made for usage of the symbol that was established prior to the protection of the usage in the Geneva Conventions. So St George's Flag gets a pass.

But yeah, the law's the law. It's not like we have any kind of resources to protest against this, so I guess I'm just resigned to it.

Im one of those few who prefer to use defualt palettes. But I dont use val much so it could be whatever color to me.

Still feels a tiny bit too bright though, I like colossi's better.

I wonder how long would it take for someone to notice if it wasn't announced in the first place.

Reactions: Mr. X and erkicman
Not me, i just realized that fukua got a new look for the projectile

Wow, it looks a lot better in-game than it does in the image. I will certainly miss the original red color, but I can learn to deal with this.

Sorry you guys at Lab Zero were forced to make this change to avoid what could otherwise become a really dumb issue.

I think it looks A LOT better in game than I thought it would, good job picking a good color L0!

The curse never ends! I'll get used to the change, though. It's not like it's a particularly big one.

I always use the Sheena palette anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.