• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Character help

Elekzor

cake or death!
Reaction score
Steam
Elekzor
Painwheel Squigly Ms. Fortune
So ok, I have fooled around now for a tiny bit and can not seem to find a character who really just feels like home yet so I thought I might pop a question to the more experienced people around... that would be everyone but me :D

I enjoy a fast paced pitbull (was a term we use in the TEKKEN Zaibatsu forums) pressure, mini combo and a little sort of zoning in a way type of char...

Who in the current game can be used like this and to a maybe great effect?
So far my most used ones are Ms. Fortune (nyan) Valentine and Squigly, where as Squigly who in my eyes is not suited for this kind of play style is the one with the best record so far...

Anyway, thanks in advance for your time and help! Much appreciated!

Starting out, I recommend using Ms. Fortune or Filia to get into the feel of things, but lean more towards Filia since she's the easier of the two to get the right feel for the character you're wanting to play. Then, if you want, move on to Valentine. Hope this helps!

from what I have seen, Filia is a jack of all trades, neither is she weak or excels in anything, and when i play her I just end up wanting to play Painwheel for some reason

It's truly just different for everyone. Just experiment with what you've got and see which one best suits you.

I think fukua might be a really good character for beginners. Her fireball allows for both pressure and zoning, and her combos can rack up a lot of damage with only a few hits. Beginners often say they want a ryu/ken type character, and fukua is pretty close compared to the rest of the cast (though she doesn't have a good uppercut). Even if you can't find a character you really like, you'll get more enjoyment from the game if pick one you like enough and stick to it. EVERY character in this game has a ton of tools and can rush down like heck, so you'll probably learn to like whoever you play.

Ok, I have tried Filia since before (and for the Ryu/ken comparision, I seriously despise them, I was more of a Rose/Ibuki player in SSFIV and I am a Wang/Xiaoyu/Dragunov player in TEKKEN) and her style is not of my liking, Fukua for some reason I can't find.

The reason of the question of the thread is to know more of what the different chars do really well cons/pros kind of thing. Since after looking through the forums I can not seem to find such a conversation.

Sorry if I sound nagging or for any kind of misunderstanding, my apologies friends

Unfortunately I don't really think any of the characters have a playstyle similar to Rose. As for Ibuki I suppose you can say Valentine but even that's kinda a stretch. Tekken characters can not be compared since there is such a drastic difference in engine and playstyle between the two games.

As for rushdown characters: best bet would be Filia/Ms. Fortune/Valentine, all which have the best speed in the game but are pretty execution heavy, but otherwise still pretty user friendly (unless you start playing headless Fortune, then things get a little complicated)

As for zoning: Peacock is the obvious choice, but Parasoul has some pretty good zoning options, but mainly focuses on pokes and mid range confirms. My personal feelings tho is I feel her movements are a little awkward when walking, but she has a really good dash step.

Disclaimer: These are my opinions and are in no way the opinions of everyone else on these forums. Please don't put me on blast. These are my thoughts.

try parasoul, she's well suited to beginners
besides tekken players love their standing lows and she's got one

@agent13 hmm... really? I would say Parasoul is more on an intermidiate level since of if you want to utilize her strong side you would need to get into those qcf+pp combos and her napalms...

and for that standing low kick poke, yes my you could not be more right, even better if one can get in a guaranteed on hit launcher after it, now that is my kind of applesauce! I will give Parasoul a spin, thank you.

@Rizil you are right in what you are saying and that have been something I have noticed too, but just for the speed part of it I want to say Ms. FOrtune, Valentine and Painwheel are the fastest in that order when you count in basic dash/jump and ground cover movement (Note: I do NOT consider full screen charges like Filias Hairball/Gregor Samson or Cerebellas Bull Charge thing in this) and for Peacock, screw her and lets move on to Ms. Fortune. I use her right now and think I will take her up as my on-point togetehr with Val (will probably switch between them from time to time) and headless Ms. Fortune is one of the funnier things imo, it almost feels like you are playing Orianna from League of Legends when you do that :D

And now to general... what type of playstyle is Painwheel? I do not see much talking about her and her character forum is lacking compared to the rest, anyone with info?

Footsies heavy flight based armor based command grad thing with lots of resets and ambiguous junk. She has similar mechanics to Mvc2 sentinal but she doesn't play the same like at all. I wouldn't call her a fast rush down character either but more of one where you can repeatedly set up bad guesses while making things safe by flying away using armor or covering with an assist. A little complex for a beginner tbqh. She is also a little high execution cause flight cancels (although not as hard as flight cancels in other games). Her damage on the other hand is really beefy.

Painwheel is an aerial character first and foremost. Her best movement is while she's flying, while her walking and dashing on the ground is a bit slow and sluggish. Her main appeal however is her hatred guard, which is basically super armor, except damage done to her gets tacked onto her attack for extra damage. She's kinda like Magneto and Sentinel all rolled up into one little ball of bladed and spikey death. Her biggest weakness however (and a weekness alot of people exploit) is her wakeup game is just bad. She has no moves that give invincibility and no real way of getting someone off her unless she tries to hatred guard her way out (which is rediculously risky and not recommended. That being said, she's probably one of the hardest characters to play so I would avoid using her until you get a better grasp of the game.

Invulvnerable or armoured assists are very important to consider as well.

What I usually do in any new fighting game is go through story mode with all the characters. Let's you get some experience with each one, get a bit of the story, and find someone new you didn't think you'd like.

hmm... this quite sells me on the idea of wanting to play her more then divert me xD
Please, tell me more about this hatred guard, I am quite interessed!

yes I am insane and want to learn a little more complexed chars early on, I got into SSFIV by maining Gen and all of his flying around the screen BS combos

yes I am insane and want to learn a little more complexed chars early on, I got into SSFIV by maining Gen and all of his flying around the screen BS combos

at least you didn't pick viper LOL. Also with parasoul she's fairly simple until you have start doing egret cancels

so an easy combo into sniper could be
st. lp, st. mp, st. hp x2 into m. napalm shot (46+mp) into sniper and you can do a few more hits

Ok so Painwheels hatred guard works like this:

Certain moves (s.mp, s.hp, j.mp, j.hp, few others i dont remember b/c i dont play painwheel) can be held down and charged up. When charging, she has 1-2 hits of super armor depending on the move. Whatever damage she takes, boosts the strength of that attack equal to the damage she took plus the moves regular damage. This allows her to basically say "yo, fuck your attack, imma just wreck your shit right here" and boom she hits you and combos ensue.

@Rizil You have no idea how intuiging this is.... could you point me to a good kind of tutorial video of her of sorts?

@agent13 Viper was the one i used as secondary char :D

Reactions: agent13
So unfortunately I started digging around for tutorial videos for Painwheel and they were all terribly outdated. Best piece of advice I can tell you is go to the PW subforum and poke around in there. Sorry but I couldn't really find anything.

as of I said earlier, it was severly lacking but I will put on some heavy divers gear and go swimming, thanks

I mean if all else fails you can pm negus eyoel. He's a cool guy. Just don't ask for too much.

Reactions: Elekzor
thank you everyone for your help and information, I think I have found the drones I am looking for.

You guys were of great help!

Reactions: agent13