• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Dangan Ronpa

Todd Haberkorn confirmed he's gonna be in SDR2

20 bucks says he's Hajime

Where is everyone getting this information from?

twitter
the VAs were actively encouraged to spread the news, it almost seems like
not that i mind
i like knowing voices
I just wanna know who voices Gundam so I can judge them for not being Troy Baker

she would need to sound like Kurt Cobain, obviously
i mean she's a walking nirvana reference might as well make it opaque as possible

Gahooglydonks said:
wow they made Komaeda's voice so airy and creepy hehehe

That was... probably the point.

Also, I feel like we need someone with a really deep, but super hammy voice to be the Great Dark Lord Gundam Tanaka himself. Mainly because I remember his voice sounding super low register in the original.

I really don't like Sakura's English voice. It happens to be the only one that keeps bugging me...

You know who has the best voice acting though?

Toko, Genocide Jack and...

JUNKO FUCKING ENOSHIMA

Junko's was alright. I'd give it a B-.

Sakura is best girl and her voice is perfect
she just doesn't localize that well is all

So you can pretty much find all the chapters from Dangan Ronpa 2 on YouTube now. Oh and the English trailer has been released.

GUNDHAM TANAKA

Reactions: Clawsome Bombs
Gund(h)am's voice, though.

Look at the people whining about Gundham and dubs.

I think that's Travis Willingham as Gundham
huh
willingham
gundham
funny that

I dunno know who that is, but okay. Part 9 of chapter 6 is on YouTube. Man... this guy always ends on a cliffhanger.

My husbando localized pretty well, I see.

Also, mind if I ask what this "Pegi" thing is about? Is that, like, the ESRB ratings, but outside of the US? It's always sort of bugged me.

PEGI is the european equivalent of the ESRB
Japan's equivalent is CERO
and so on and so forth

Pretty much, yea. Might be for areas outside the US.

My husbando localized pretty well, I see.

Also, mind if I ask what this "Pegi" thing is about? Is that, like, the ESRB ratings, but outside of the US? It's always sort of bugged me.
Tanaka is everyone's husbando.

Sadistic Cyanide said:
Tanaka is everyone's husbando.

'EY! I THOUGHT YOURS WAS NIDAI, YOU HOG! HANDS OFF!

I do what I want.

I don't like Komaeda, I don't see why the fandom worships him so much.

Sadistic Cyanide said:
I do what I want.

(grumblegrumble) Husbando stealin' home-wrecker...

Sadistic Cyanide said:
I don't like Komaeda, I don't see why the fandom worships him so much.

Memes, maybe?

Reactions: Φ
Ehh, it seems like most of the fandom is "KOMAEDA, I LOVE YOU SO MUCH *kiss noises* DON'T EVER LEAVE ME". (Kinda exaggerating here, but not so much) Everyone's whining about his voice.

oh no
Komaeda is voiced by the same voice actor as Naegi
it's not like that wasn't the entire point

oh no
Komaeda is voiced by the same voice actor as Naegi
it's not like that wasn't the entire point
Try telling them that.

Wow a thread for this exists cool. Just finished the first game on the vita and had a pleasant experience after hearing some good things about this series. As a fan of Ace Attorney and social simulations this sounded like the ideal mix.

The premise of various "ultimate" high schoolers being trapped in a school and forced into a kill-or-be killed scenario if you want freedom escalated things quickly. The first person perspective while exploring the school and seeing cardboard cut-out bodies of the various students grew on me as I went through the chapters. Liked how map warping and the ease of locating what can be investigated was made to be convenient.

Investigations was similar to Ace Attorney since you have to find evidence and talk to the other students before the trial begins, but there is a more explorable aspect to that. Trials being fully voiced (Japanese or English) was a pleasant surprise and how the trials were handled made me dumbstruck. Bulk of the time consisted of using "truth bullets" (evidence) to contradict other peoples floating arguments/statements about the murders (similar to ace attorney but with the whole 'aim and shoot' mechanic).

However sometimes there were other thrown in mini games that happened like shooting at letters to form a key word your trying to remember, a rhythm game sequence to get stubborn students to listen to you, and even a fill in the missing pages puzzle sequence to summarize the entire crime. Before trials can even begin you can equip perks to help enhance your performance (stuff like increased truth bullet damage or longer concentration mode) which you earn if you build relationships with other students beforehand during the "free time" sequence which is essentially persona style social links.

The story was good with some nice dark twists, characters were memorable enough to not be expendable NPC thanks to story and free time discussions, music was limited but had memorable tracks for each specific scenario, money system where you get coins for clearing trials and investigating random scenery to buy gallery stuff (music, animations, event shots, etc) or presents for other students to build relationships, and a fun laid back new game + mode that functions like a traditional VN with a material gathering gimmick.

Highly recommend this game if your an ace attorney fan with added elements like first person exploration, persona social links, and shooting segments. Don't spoil yourself with the plot despite how tempting or you lose out in some of the fun in figuring out the mysteries of the school and who the mastermind is.

Here was my impression of the plot of the game
Game started bright and hopeful as your an otherwise average protagonist joining an elite among elite school where the Creme of crop students gather to achieve their dreams. Things go wrong quick as you enter the school as you seem to pass out. You wake up in an empty classroom confused and eventually join the others that have gathered near the entrance.

The entrance has a metal vault door, machine gun turrets, cameras, and even a monitor which is strange. You meet the other ultimate students and exchange greetings, but then are called into the gym for the entrance ceremony by the "headmaster". You then meet the mascot character of this game Monokuma which feels meeting a sociopath Teddie who still makes bear puns that laughs at your misfortune. He basically tells all the students that you can stay imprisoned in this school until you die or kill someone and don't get caught to "graduate" out.

Soon afterwards you are greeted by Sayaka who volunteers to help you out as your "assistant". Great this must be the main heroine character sort of like Maya in Ace Attorney. Got to know her to the point of potential love interest and then suddenly she gets killed off. Then another character gets killed by the bear shortly after. Game got real dark fast that shattered any optimistic thoughts right away.

As I progressed through the chapters seeing the characters slowly being killed off (either as victims or being executed in a black humor fashion) I start to predict who the "mastermind" really is assuming he/she is one of the players. Initial guess was Hiro because the whole "dumb guy" thing could all just be an act and he does an Aizen style reveal in the end since he lasted so long. Then quickly discarded that since he can genuinely just be a bizarre guy. Then thought Makoto (yes the protagonist) was the mastermind the whole time due to self inflicted amnesia/being a good actor/hypnotized just for the amusement to spread despair to the survivors if they ever found out the truth.

I arrived to that conclusion due to the dreams he had, Kirigiri assuming he was the least likely to be the mastermind, Byakuya assuming he was too soft-hearted, the absence of him in the school photo, and the video interviews. That felt like a solid guess until the end where it eventually pointed out it was Junko the whole time which makes sense too since I remember the MC telling the fake Junko she looked a little different from the magazines. All in all I'm pleased that that the ending wasn't obvious at all and how well executed the surprises were. The climactic battle with the mastermind to spam that "HOPE" truth bullet to the remaining classmates who were falling to despair (theme of game was if you will maintain hope or fall into despair) was very satisfying especially with the catchy opening theme playing as it happened. Curious if the outside world is really post apocalyptic or was all just a troll to get them to kill each other as some sort of radical social experiment. Guess I'll figure that out in the next game which conveniently for me arrives locally soon.

Wow a thread for this exists cool. Just finished the first game on the vita and had a pleasant experience after hearing some good things about this series. As a fan of Ace Attorney and social simulations this sounded like the ideal mix.

The premise of various "ultimate" high schoolers being trapped in a school and forced into a kill-or-be killed scenario if you want freedom escalated things quickly. The first person perspective while exploring the school and seeing cardboard cut-out bodies of the various students grew on me as I went through the chapters. Liked how map warping and the ease of locating what can be investigated was made to be convenient.

Investigations was similar to Ace Attorney since you have to find evidence and talk to the other students before the trial begins, but there is a more explorable aspect to that. Trials being fully voiced (Japanese or English) was a pleasant surprise and how the trials were handled made me dumbstruck. Bulk of the time consisted of using "truth bullets" (evidence) to contradict other peoples floating arguments/statements about the murders (similar to ace attorney but with the whole 'aim and shoot' mechanic).

However sometimes there were other thrown in mini games that happened like shooting at letters to form a key word your trying to remember, a rhythm game sequence to get stubborn students to listen to you, and even a fill in the missing pages puzzle sequence to summarize the entire crime. Before trials can even begin you can equip perks to help enhance your performance (stuff like increased truth bullet damage or longer concentration mode) which you earn if you build relationships with other students beforehand during the "free time" sequence which is essentially persona style social links.

The story was good with some nice dark twists, characters were memorable enough to not be expendable NPC thanks to story and free time discussions, music was limited but had memorable tracks for each specific scenario, money system where you get coins for clearing trials and investigating random scenery to buy gallery stuff (music, animations, event shots, etc) or presents for other students to build relationships, and a fun laid back new game + mode that functions like a traditional VN with a material gathering gimmick.

Highly recommend this game if your an ace attorney fan with added elements like first person exploration, persona social links, and shooting segments. Don't spoil yourself with the plot despite how tempting or you lose out in some of the fun in figuring out the mysteries of the school and who the mastermind is.

Here was my impression of the plot of the game
Game started bright and hopeful as your an otherwise average protagonist joining an elite among elite school where the Creme of crop students gather to achieve their dreams. Things go wrong quick as you enter the school as you seem to pass out. You wake up in an empty classroom confused and eventually join the others that have gathered near the entrance.

The entrance has a metal vault door, machine gun turrets, cameras, and even a monitor which is strange. You meet the other ultimate students and exchange greetings, but then are called into the gym for the entrance ceremony by the "headmaster". You then meet the mascot character of this game Monokuma which feels meeting a sociopath Teddie who still makes bear puns that laughs at your misfortune. He basically tells all the students that you can stay imprisoned in this school until you die or kill someone and don't get caught to "graduate" out.

Soon afterwards you are greeted by Sayaka who volunteers to help you out as your "assistant". Great this must be the main heroine character sort of like Maya in Ace Attorney. Got to know her to the point of potential love interest and then suddenly she gets killed off. Then another character gets killed by the bear shortly after. Game got real dark fast that shattered any optimistic thoughts right away.

As I progressed through the chapters seeing the characters slowly being killed off (either as victims or being executed in a black humor fashion) I start to predict who the "mastermind" really is assuming he/she is one of the players. Initial guess was Hiro because the whole "dumb guy" thing could all just be an act and he does an Aizen style reveal in the end since he lasted so long. Then quickly discarded that since he can genuinely just be a bizarre guy. Then thought Makoto (yes the protagonist) was the mastermind the whole time due to self inflicted amnesia/being a good actor/hypnotized just for the amusement to spread despair to the survivors if they ever found out the truth.

I arrived to that conclusion due to the dreams he had, Kirigiri assuming he was the least likely to be the mastermind, Byakuya assuming he was too soft-hearted, the absence of him in the school photo, and the video interviews. That felt like a solid guess until the end where it eventually pointed out it was Junko the whole time which makes sense too since I remember the MC telling the fake Junko she looked a little different from the magazines. All in all I'm pleased that that the ending wasn't obvious at all and how well executed the surprises were. The climactic battle with the mastermind to spam that "HOPE" truth bullet to the remaining classmates who were falling to despair (theme of game was if you will maintain hope or fall into despair) was very satisfying especially with the catchy opening theme playing as it happened. Curious if the outside world is really post apocalyptic or was all just a troll to get them to kill each other as some sort of radical social experiment. Guess I'll figure that out in the next game which conveniently for me arrives locally soon.
I really wanna spoil this for you, you don't even know how bad I do. But I won't.

honestly I'm suspicious I would have assumed that the odd death out was the mastermind even without spoiling myself

Danganronpa was great and all, but the one thing I really kick myself over was finding a favorite character in:

Mukuro Ikusaba

You're probably thinking "What the heck? You barely get to know her!" but her background as the ultimate soldier was super cool and honestly, she looked kinda cute in all of those photos she shows up in. What really solidified her as my favorite was her role in Danganronpa If, showing off her ultimate badass skills.

But geez, she likes our heroine Makoto? Too bad, you die early :/

Reactions: DDB
Yeah, I liked them too.

I LIKED HER PSYCHOTIC SISTER EVEN MORE.

Why didn't any of you posers tell me there was a whole thread for this
This series is like crack, it's so good
It's like Ace Attorney
But it's got Social Links
It's gr8

No but for real, just got DR2 yesterday and JESUS THE GAME IMPROVED IN EVERY CATEGORY
STORY, GAMEPLAY, LOOKS, EVERYTHING
NOT THAT IT WAS BAD IN THE FIRST PLACE BUT STILL
ALSO

GUNDAM MOTHERFUCKING TANAKA MIGHT BE THE BEST EVER JUST SAYING

The 2nd game feels more improved in almost every way such as the more likable characters (my opinion outside of few exceptions), story, presentation, and gameplay. The first one is still excellent though. My one minor gripe is the increased frequency of court mini-games compared to the first one which IMO dampens the court simulation immersion.

AND I STILL CAN'T PLAY IT BECAUSE SONY DOESN'T HAVE ANY GOOD PS VITA BUNDLES!

You should eventually buy 4 Vitas and a wicked scarf just so you can be like

GO, MY FOUR DARK VITAS OF DESTRUCTION

The 2nd game feels more improved in almost every way such as the more likable characters (my opinion outside of few exceptions), story, presentation, and gameplay. The first one is still excellent though. My one minor gripe is the increased frequency of court mini-games compared to the first one which IMO dampens the court simulation immersion.

Yeah I get ya with the court stuff
Sometimes I'm just thinking and BAM HANGMAN'S GAMBIT
It's funny how many references there are too
To it's own prequel, Attack on Titan(I'm serious observe the cola in the supermarket), Ace Attorney, and some other stuff

Also Makoto Naegi looking guy in Super Crazy Hope Form is delightfully creepy and cool

Dat laugh tho

Clawsome Bombs said:
GUNDAM MOTHERFUCKING TANAKA MIGHT BE THE BEST EVER JUST SAYING

I swear to his Darkness, we will having a fucking Church of Gundam Tanaka, if I have to somehow make it myself. It will happen, OR THERE WILL BE BLOOD!

Reactions: Clawsome Bombs