• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

USA [Dec 8, 2017] SALTY! Friday Weeklies @ Game Realms (Burbank, CA)

13241342_1130697626961244_4725138338470506926_n.jpg 13178730_1130697583627915_8777766913975142943_n.jpg 13227091_1130697523627921_4527724785889741636_n.jpg 13230342_1729723303951423_1629278176126496790_n.jpg
As of now I am able to run casuals at my garage once of month on a Saturday and your all welcome to come. Its in Panorama city near you know what. I wont charge for any venue fee. I mostly have CRTs, old consoles, and one ASUS monitor at the moment(planning to get more). If you guys need more space I can setup more tables outside near my garage door. The next one is on June 25th 7pm-3am. The parking at my place can be hectic and need to park on the side street.

Interesting venue, be interested to see if they can accommodate us. Eesh, those hours though. ALSO I'M LEGIT WORRIED ABOUT THEIR RULESET NO FOUL LANGUAGE Like, I dont know if we can get away with that.

No word back from game-realms yet. Might just send him an e-mail, maybe that'd be easier for 'em D:

Not strictly Salty related, but to people wanna help me practice offline play for Combo Breaker this Sat or Sun night? :^)
Rachel is out of town, so we can go late. There are still cats, though.

Everyone decides to do stuff tomorrow the one Saturday I can't "/

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

OK he called me back. I let him know that we are aiming for Saturday. I let him know we are probably gonna bring our own monitors even though he has TVs because input delay. He wanted to know if he could advertise and post events on their site because he was thinking this might be a private thing. I let him know it's not and more the merrier (which he sounded kinda happy about). Let him know we had 25-30 people on the regular at TG and that we were capped at that. Asked about venue fee at the last place, which was TG and free, but I let him know previous venues did $5-$7 a head.

They still need the permit to allow gatherings, they still need tables and chairs. He really wishes Mike and I guess me could go down there to talk about the place and I guess plan? But he appreciate doing this over the phone as opposed to e-mail (glad I didnt sent an e-mail after all). So he's gonna talk to his other co-owners and stuff about it and see what they can do.

Apparently the long term plan is to expand into a kind of esports arena deal. They wanna get more space and have an actual event area. So they're eager to get events in there store to gauge interest and potential clientele so they can do just that. Soooo, it sounds promising, but also like we are still gonna have to wait.

Reactions: Jason D.
OK he called me back.
All sounds good to me! Not sure why people keep wanting to talk to me, I'm bad at planning. :^P
But yeah, main thing to make clear is that we're NOT going to have a gathering there until they have at least chairs, if not tables.

If you plan things, is it...Plan Bee?

Last edited:
Reactions: TheCrankMachine
All sounds good to me! Not sure why people keep wanting to talk to me, I'm bad at planning. :^P
But yeah, main thing to make clear is that we're NOT going to have a gathering there until they have at least chairs, if not tables.

If you plan things, is it...Plan Bee?
[/QUOTE]

If all else fails, we can fall back on Plan Z...

My work will let me borrow a couple folding tables and about 12 folding chairs. Would that help any?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
It might! Whenever he gets back to me after talking it out with the other store owners, I'll bring it up. Of course this only works as long as you can be sure to make it out every time until they get their own stuff.

It might! Whenever he gets back to me after talking it out with the other store owners, I'll bring it up. Of course this only works as long as you can be sure to make it out every time until they get their own stuff.

I live in the middle of Orange County, so I know that I would not be able to come every time if this would be a weekly thing. But I will be coming to the first event, whenever it will be.

Ok, so he got back to me (forgot to post earlier). They want to do $7 a head for now, but if we can bring in more people, they can lower it to $5. Timewise they said evening should work fine, but no specific on when to when yet. They want this to be twice a month as well. No tables, no permit yet. Without the permit they have to close to do this, which leaves some more discussion on the table (maybe convince them to run normal hours or close just a tiny bit earlier so we can be there laaaaate).
BUT THEY STILL WANT TO MEET IN PERSON @Mike_Z so... ugh we'll have to set aside a day to do this eventually.

Reactions: Midiman and Fifi
Cool, pick a day after CB, and if I have to freakin' go there in person it will be $5 a head because dammit. :^P

It's not our fault the dude running the store doesn't have chairs and /really/ wants to meat Mike before setting up events with the people who want to go.

/really/ wants to meat Mike before setting up events
Preserving the typo forever.

And yeah, quite honestly I don't understand this. They really REALLY should just arrange events with Weatherbee, who is WAY more responsible than I am. Someone should show the person who runs that store this post.

You should send them a letter with your headshot with a note that says "Weatherbee is in charge I don't see why you need me specifically for this shit. You'll be able to see me every end of the week if you stop dragging your heels." signed, Mike Zaimont.

Be sure to sign the headshot.

I'll have... a tiny bit of money after june 10th. So maybe we can finally check it out sometime after that. Just remember, this is a much bigger inconvenience for me the guy with no money and doesnt live anywhere near the venue ;.; . Uuuuuuuugh.

Where's the gofundme for weatherbee's gas money I'll pay for the whole damn tank if it gets this done faster.

EDIT: Also have we decided on what day to go to this if we get this? My vote is on Friday because then I have Saturday off too and it means I can stay longer. Saturday is still fine too.

Last edited:
having casuals at my place june 18th not june 25th anymore starts 7pm-3am

no problem its around panorama city near you know what. my twitter is aesthetics_91 if you want to message me for the address

Reactions: Fifi
So I just discovered the eSports Arena. It's a place in Orange County, but they have a lot of 'open' days where it appears that we could set up something. They also have Wednesday nights set aside for fighting games. SG is not currently showcased, but the "not limited to" language sounds like they could be willing to host Skullgirls with enough interest.

I know this is a bit out of the way for some, but it's something. Here's the link for the place:

http://esportsarena.com

I wouldn't mind emailing someone from there or even stopping by to talk to people in charge. I live 10 minutes from this place, so any trips to talk to someone would be no problem. And I do a great impression of being an adult.

Would anyone around here be willing to hypothetically travel to the OC?

Here's the problems with esports arena, as I'm sure others will agree.

- it's way the hell out of the way for most of the group, like 60-90 minute drive free

- it's not cheap, they charge a $10 venue fee, which is already too much for some (a few people couldn't even make it to UGC with their $5 cover every week)

- even if we tried to just go and merge salty with Wednesday Night Fights, we'd get no stream time and be restricted to literally 2 setups in the corner of an already packed room (it's minimum 100 people there every week, sometimes more)

Ya we kinda went of the Esports arena thing already so no worries.

UPDATE:

I finally visited Game Realms and talked to them. The place is nice, it's large, and they really want to have us there.
Sounds familiar...

Basics:
- Every other Friday, from 8PM till ~2AM (or later if they end up cool with it).
- $5 venue fee.
- Anyone can come! We aren't sure exactly how many people fit yet, but it's definitely not limited to ~20 like Twin Galaxies was.

Pending confirmation by them, we're looking to hold the first one on July 8th.
Google map.

Features of the place:

- It's big.
- By the time we start, they will have at least 2 big tables and at least 16 chairs, which means at least 8 setups can work. (@nos_talgic if you want to add some let me know.)
- Has A/C, and is well lit. The overhead lights are LEDs so they don't make heat.
- Has a working, accessible bathroom, and garbage cans. OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG!
- Wifi and lots of Ethernet ports.
- 24 hour 7/11 across the street, 24 hour Subway a block away.
- Back portion has a bunch of game consoles (SNES, PS2, etc and newer consoles) set up around the edges, so if they have games you want to play there you can probably do that.
- Free parking in the lot in the back.

Important notes:
- WE HAVE TO BRING OUR OWN SETUPS, especially monitors, at least for now. COME ON PEOPLE LET'S ACTUALLY DO THAT THIS TIME.
- I have to remember my stream stuff; Rob too.
- Don't leave trash around, but we're pretty good at that by now.

Last edited:
I've gotten my own monitor because we always had a shortage so I can bring mine.
I also have a ps3 but I don't think there's ever a shortage of that.

I hope there's a set date and not a pending one soon

Reactions: Mike_Z
They have a shit ton of GBA SP's. I wanna replay a lot of Gameboy and Gameboy color games.

Wanna pay on my lappy? It's got Skullgirls and Lethal League and Nidhogg and Krita.