• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Decent character for me

Yorkes

Reaction score
Steam
Arsenic
Hey, all.

So, I've been slowly but surely getting into SkullGirls for real after pre-ordering it on Steam a while ago, and now that I'm actively getting into it, I was thinking of getting more used to three, two, or one character instead of doing every character (hue) like I normally do in fighters.

So, that's where you guys come in. Help me select a few characters that'll work!
Back in Guilty Gear, Tekken, Street Fighter, and Super Smash (If that even counts) I mostly used these characters.
- Sol Badguy, Baiken, I-no, Chipp Zanuff
- Lars, Leo, Miguel, Bryan Fury
- Cammy, Ken, Sagat.
- Lucas, Ike, and Samus

Besides that my playstyle is very aggressive, and I like using a lot of grab-moves, mostly because it lays the battle flat for a few seconds and is great for disrupting someone's flow. I love using meter-moves, but I'm not good at using other things with my meter. I'm willing to practice, of course.
I'm not too active on blocking except for when I used Baiken in Guilty Gear. Also, I'm horrible at (I believe they're called charge?) the skills that require you to hold back for a second.

I don't care much for whatever character is top tier or whatever at all.

Thanks in advance.

I really can't suggest anything based on your character roster but it sounds like Cerebella is your main go-to girl, although Big Band seems to fit that bill too.

This video by NightPhyre is pretty good and should give you an idea on Cerebella.

Hey, all.
Besides that my playstyle is very aggressive, and I like using a lot of grab-moves, mostly because it lays the battle flat for a few seconds and is great for disrupting someone's flow. I love using meter-moves, but I'm not good at using other things with my meter. I'm willing to practice, of course.
I'm not too active on blocking except for when I used Baiken in Guilty Gear. Also, I'm horrible at (I believe they're called charge?) the skills that require you to hold back for a second.

I recommend Valentine. She's extremely aggressive and has an amazing throw to reset any combo.

I recommend Valentine. She's extremely aggressive and has an amazing throw to reset any combo.
Oh yeah, I completely forgot about her.
I guess use her when you want it fast and furious, be mindful of the low damage output though.

Thanks for both the super fast replies! What would you say about Painwheel? Give her a try too, or not?

Thanks for both the super fast replies! What would you say about Painwheel? Give her a try too, or not?
If you want! I really suggest mucking around with all the girls to see who you want, plus it'll help later when you play against other people and know how they work.
Don't be like me and just stick to one or two.

This makes me think Val or Fortune (who is a lot easier to use than other puppet characters, so don't be put off by that).

- Cammy, Ken, Sagat.
This makes me think Filia

- Lucas, Ike, and Samus
And this sounds a whole lot more like Bella or Painwheel.

Maybe try out a trio like:
Val (idk what to use for her assist) - Filia (Updo) - Bella (Cerecopter or Lock n Load)
Or possibly:
Painwheel (c.MP) - Fortune (LK or HK Fiber Upper)

Really any combination would work, although I think the general consensus for Val is to have her at the front with an invulnerable DP assist (like Filia's Updo, Fortune's Fiber Upper or Parasoul's Napalm Pillar). Just toy around until you find something you like and then try sticking with it.

Sol, Sagat, and Samus?
Damn it, if only Annie had made it...

Maybe try out a trio like:
Val (idk what to use for her assist) - Filia (Updo) - Bella (Cerecopter or Lock n Load)
Or possibly:
Painwheel (c.MP) - Fortune (LK or HK Fiber Upper)

Val's c.MK is a decent assist. So is mortuary drop.

If the character interests you try it.
You didn't list any pure grapplers so I doubt Cerabella is for you. Parasoul is charge character. So two out.
Try Fillia she is aggressive shoto of the game. Kind of like Ken. Valentine's a good choice too.

You could also give Ms Fortune a try. She's an aggressive rushdown character who can zone with her head. I haven't played Eddie and Carl in Guilty Gear & Blazblue, but I've been told that Fortune's puppet mechanic is easier. I personally find Valentine much more difficult because many of her good combos are character-specific and I don't like her defensive options. Fortune has a couple of good reversals - HK Fiber Upper and Head Removal (It got nerfed in the Beta though and that change will be coming soon to Retail version) - and her good combos are mostly universal. Her head-off combos burn a lot of meter. Fortune is good as Solo AND on teams. Choose HK Fiber Upper as assist.

I don't play Filia, but she's also rushdown, has a good reversal (You did mention Sol, Ken, Sagat & Cammy) and has some great mixups (IIRC some of them involve air throw resets).

Last edited:
The sheer speed of this topic is really astounding.
So far I've been playing quite a decent amount of Miss Fortune, but her damage per individual attack seemed a bit low, which I'm a bit so-so on. Besides that, the puppeteering was ezpz after using a bit of Eddie from GG. I'll be trying Painwheel, Cerebella, Valentine, and Filia then, I guess! I've noticed nobody mentioned Double. How come?

The sheer speed of this topic is really astounding.
So far I've been playing quite a decent amount of Miss Fortune, but her damage per individual attack seemed a bit low, which I'm a bit so-so on.
I haven't played SG in a couple of weeks, but I kinda remember Fortune having higher damage in her combos than Valentine. And also easier than Val's.

Hey, all.

So, I've been slowly but surely getting into SkullGirls for real after pre-ordering it on Steam a while ago, and now that I'm actively getting into it, I was thinking of getting more used to three, two, or one character instead of doing every character (hue) like I normally do in fighters.

So, that's where you guys come in. Help me select a few characters that'll work!
Back in Guilty Gear, Tekken, Street Fighter, and Super Smash (If that even counts) I mostly used these characters.
- Lars, Leo, Miguel, Bryan Fury
- Cammy, Ken, Sagat.
- Lucas, Ike, and Samus

I don't care much for whatever character is top tier or whatever at all.

Thanks in advance.
Val/Double Butt/Filia Updo.

Team Evo, Team "the fuck is blocking?".

You can replace updo with Roundhouse Hairball and maybe shot for Double is you want to be a hipster.