• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Doujin games of note

Squire Grooktook

The wind blew all day long
Reaction score
Steam
Squire Grooktook
PSN
Groucho2
XBL
SquireGrooktook
Ms. Fortune Filia Unknown
Doujin means something along the lines of "self published". In the context of games, it usually means small Japanese independent games sold by the developer him or herself.

Touhou is probably one of the most famous examples, though I'm not going to talk about shmups here because I already made a thread for that. And besides, shmups take up such a large part of the doujin market that it's more interesting to talk about some of the interesting non shmups.

I may have mentioned this to a few friends on Steam, but one of the most interesting examples I've seen of late is an upcoming/in development run and gun shooter called Ninetail. It seems to combine a Mega Man X style dash with some Contra-esque gameplay and an interesting transformation mechanic that allows you to temporarily fly.

Some videos

7 minutes 14 seconds in, in case I didn't link correctly.
*edit* That didn't work, try this hyper link
Looks pretty fun and fast paced to me. Hopefully the level design is up to snuff, since that sort of thing can really make or break a 2d game. I also hope they go for a real arcade format, since I find that stuff really fun and doujin devs seem to have a greater appreciation for it overall.

Other than that, I recently spent a fair amount of time with the Gigantic Army localization on Steam. Pretty fun game with a suprrising amount of technique to it, in which the heavy controls provide a nice change of pace from more nimble action platformers. I also like that they added a scoring system based on speed running stages, to give the game some more depth.

I dunno if anyone else has any examples they'd like to share. There's actually quite an excellent selection of localized titles on Steam at the moment, with games like Mitsurugi Kamui Hikake, Fairy Bloom Freesia, Bunny Must Die, etc. Technically they are no longer self published, but they were when they first started out, and most of them are still sold in their original non translated format on the developers website.

Oh, I was thinking the other type of dojin,
cause I need it,
for research.

Reactions: HeadcrabNinja
Oh, I was thinking the other type of dojin,
cause I need it,
for research.
Technically that counts too, I think it just means anything self published. Games, comics, art, etc. all count.

I played a hentai shooter for the gameplay once (it gave you the option to turn off the h scenes, which I took).

This will help my research emensly.

Reactions: HeadcrabNinja