• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Downs replenishing both sides' health

Strawberry

Oh No
Reaction score
There's something that has perplexed me since downs were added in beta: Why don't both sides' health recharge between bouts? (Like JoJo's downs)
I always assumed this was such a given that it must be a bug or simply that it hadn't been added yet, but with the addition of downs to the standard version I'm beginning to worry.

Playing with the new downs system actually makes rounds - in my humble opinion - far, far, less exciting and tense.

Consider an example:
Player one and two are playing solo characters with the default setting - best of three.
Player one has won one round, Player two has yet to win a round.
Both players are at a sliver of health, and the next hit will secure the round!
Previously, this was a pivotal moment. Because health recharged between rounds, Player Two only had to land a hit before his/her opponent to bring them on to an even footing (one win each, full health on both players)
Currently, this is a moment that lacks a lot of the tension and excitement the old system had. If Player Two lands a hit before his/her opponent, it is far less meaningful. (one win each, full health on Player One and almost none on Player Two)

I felt the difference immediately. I regularly host local skullgirls matches with friends. Playing with the new system, the energy in the room was dramatically changed. Many spectators - and sometimes even the players themselves - lost interest in the match entirely after the first round.

I realize this system was implemented to try to grant the win to the player who dealt the most damage, but it seems redundant compared to best-of-one rounds.

Obviously, this is only my opinion and observations! I am by no means claiming this is objectively the right thing to do, I'm just wondering if anyone else feels similarly.

Last edited:
The reason for that is because if both players healed after every down, you could end up doing more overall damage to the oppont and still lose.

Let's say your entire lifebar is 10 points.
Game 1 I deal 8 points of damage and take 10 points of damage
Game 2 I deal 10 points of damage and take 4 points of damage
Game 3 I deal 7 points of damage and take 10 points of damage

At the end, I dealt 25 points of damage while my opponent only dealt 24 and still lost. This is due to my oppont getting healed more for winning closer games and me getting healed less for have a more dominent match where I didn't take as much damage.

Just because something adds tension doesn't mean it's necessarily fair. I can use the extreme example of xfactor causing tension yet not many people think it was a good idea.

I suggest continuing the conversation here. Hardly a point in making several threads about the same thing.

Mike went over this when responding to someone complaining about it in the comments.
Downs is there to make 1v1 FASTER. It does this in a number of ways: There is one timer (99sec once), there are a maximum of 2 lifebars instead of 3 (not refilling winner's health), and there is less of a wait between fighting. If there were 1 timer and it refilled your life every time, there would be many time-overs; and if there was new life AND timer every Down then it would be back to 5 minutes per 1v1 match.
Source Page 2 in comments. Sounds logical enough. The point was to make 1 vs 1 have a much more faster and fluid pace like the other ratios. Restoring winner health as well would be counterproductive to this direction.

Reactions: Broseidon Rex