• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Spotlight Eighty Sixed Weekly T-shirt Design Submissions. Get Paid to Draw Skullgirls Merhandise!

Can I just say I love the t-shirt material and feel? Can I buy the shirts with no designs somehow?

Also, any promo code going on?

Reactions: MegamanDS
Might as well ask this for everyone curious, but I can email questions as well:

-Do people submit rough art for approval to get some kind of idea what you're looking for before spending a lot of time on finished art?

-After an entry has been turned down, do you encourage revisions?

-How many submissions do you get a week?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Might as well ask this for everyone curious, but I can email questions as well:

-Do people submit rough art for approval to get some kind of idea what you're looking for before spending a lot of time on finished art?

-After an entry has been turned down, do you encourage revisions?

-How many submissions do you get a week?

Thanks!
- yes to art@eightysixed.com

- yes and we make suggestions as well

- not sure, you can ask art@eightysixed.com

Hello, everyone I was screwing around in ps last night and came up with this...
10454205_10152544562828326_3523436001470079691_o.jpg

It got me thinking about a tshirt design spoofing the Spiceworld logo with five of the characters drawn in the Spice girls' poses. Is this funny or interesting enough to anyone for me to proceed?

Reactions: LayZ
Hello, everyone I was screwing around in ps last night and came up with this...
10454205_10152544562828326_3523436001470079691_o.jpg

It got me thinking about a tshirt design spoofing the Spiceworld logo with five of the characters drawn in the Spice girls' poses. Is this funny or interesting enough to anyone for me to proceed?
We generally don't take submissions (with intent of compensation) that reuse existing assets moving forward. I feel that it diminishes the value of the effort artists that go and create completely new artwork.

We [B said:
generally[/B] don't take submissions (with intent of compensation) that reuse existing assets moving forward. I feel that it diminishes the value of the effort artists that go and create completely new artwork.

I understand. I generally draw my own artwork, too. That picture is from a boredom endused photoshop session. The one I had in mind would be hand drawn characters. Anyway, it was worth a shot though, right?

maybe there was a bit of confusion. The tshirt design I had in mind was the Spice world logo.
SpiceGirls.jpg

But redrawn with characters from the game. Something like what was done with the Morton's salt logo.

I guess it's better to ask this here than in an email. How long does it usually take for someone to get back to your email?
Figured people might be pretty busy, so no rush. Just curious.

Just emailed a final version of my Fortune entry in hopes of making the next deadline. Open to any revisions you guys feel would finalize it. Thanks!

Got my EVO 2014 shirt. Thanks!

probably a dumb question but we have to submit shirt color variations as well, right?

well i did different splatters to see how they'd look on the shirts, i'd make it transparent of course
tumblr_n9ul30Xi3q1rwxvn2o1_1280.gif

Guess I can share my 2nd attempt here (if that's OK). Waiting on a response, and hopeful.
I wonder what the average number of attempts is before getting one accepted...

Attachments

• Fortune3.png
    Fortune3.png
    784.1 KB · Views: 652
Third attempt didn't make it. It's cool. Any suggestions on what to try for a fourth attempt, if any?
Work's been getting busier, so I'll probably refrain from more entries unless I'm very confident of giving them what they want. The tough part is figuring that out, even after looking at all the past winners on FB.

Are you sure about that? Did they tell you they're not interested? As I told you in my thread, Eighty tends to queue some of the entries.

Third attempt didn't make it. It's cool. Any suggestions on what to try for a fourth attempt, if any?
3rd attempt was the "Wheel" right? Did they say what the issue was with the design? It looked like it might have been tricky to print the details clearly in a tabloid sized space, but otherwise, I think it was a cool image.

I'd almost recommend to just keep submitting variations of that design to them until they accept it, or until they finally give you some real feedback. Maybe enlarge the Skullheart to make it more of a focal point, or try knocking out some colors? You could even just take the same character assets you made and come up with a different arrangement. I don't see a need to start from scratch yet.

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, he said he won't be taking the design, but his reason makes total sense. I've looked over all the winners here: https://www.facebook.com/eightysixedonline
So I need to make something like those winners, yet not the same.
A fourth new entry may be accepted, or 100 entries may not be accepted. If only I had a narrower focus of what to do (like the winpose contest).

Last edited:
I'll give my reason here, since I did specify in the e-mail and I feel a bit misrepresented:
I am actively avoiding any designs that utilize the majority of the cast and their respective icons in the same design currently because I feel leaving out Beowulf and Robo Fortune (and Fukua, and Marie, but I am willing to be more flexible with them) on such a design is short sighted and I do not want to rerelease what is mostly the same design later but with everyone.

I am actively avoiding any designs that utilize the majority of the cast and their respective icons in the same design currently because I feel leaving out Beowulf and Robo Fortune (and Fukua, and Marie, but I am willing to be more flexible with them) on such a design is short sighted and I do not want to rerelease what is mostly the same design later but with everyone.
That's actually some clever foresight.

Wait, let me read my email
OH
OH GOD
I SENT IT AT INFO
WELL THIS IS EMBARASSING
I'll re-sent it to the correct one. Sorry to the guy at info pffff

Reactions: Muro and Cellsai
I'll give my reason here, since I did specify in the e-mail and I feel a bit misrepresented:

I agree with you and definitely don't want to misrepresent anyone. Guess I didn't get what you were saying in an earlier email, but thanks for clarifying. Edited my previous post; being sleep-deprived & in pain wasn't a good time for typing. Good news is some people on Deviant Art & here got to have something fun to look at at.

I'm just thankful to have been a winner for the Dead or Alive 5U Halloween Costume Design Contest. Maybe I came on too strong when I found out about this 86ed contest to try to have a "win streak", like playing SG itself :) Hope there's no hard feelings.

Been pretty relaxed about this. It's nice to make some art for fun.
I'm patient & whatever happens, happens with entries. Maybe I'll enter something worthy in the future, now that I've warmed up/done training a few times. Took me a year to get my first animation job after college.

I sent it at Info too, now I feel very ashamed
silver_surfer_invincible1.png

I think the first post should be updated, or maybe i just read it wrong

The next possible entry idea has been staring me in the face for months. So used to being told what to draw for work that coming up with ideas can sometimes be tricky. Searched & didn't find anything similar in the winners posted on FB. I hope to get the concept to you as quick as possible to get an opinion on whether to go through with it, but was wondering if something really sketchy & quick is OK to start with (I think it was before).

I have a few questions. I want them to be answered faster it's possible, so I will ask them here.

1. How will they know that I used different programme than Adobe Ilustrator or Photoshop?
2. Am I able to win more than once? (For example if I won this week, can I win next week, too?)
3. If I didn't won with some picture, can I send it next week?
4. How will they know who won? What informations should I send in the e-mail?
5. If I would won, how will they give me money? I know that they'll send it on my credit card, but how will they do it?

And question especially for my friend: 6. What if I'm from Europe? Does ES send shirts to the EU?

(Sorry for bad English.)

Jointhe BB.jpg

I'm not sure if the previous post was answered, but I emailed some questions and a rough idea a week ago as well, and didn't receive a response, which is fine. In hindsight, the questions & image were not all that great. Maybe the company is flooded with emails & extremely busy. Been a pretty busy week for me as well, so I didn't have time to enter this week's contest.

-Has anyone from this forum won the contest? I'm curious since we share a lot of gameplay & other tips here. Figured maybe we could encourage each other with this.

-How does a small company (I think) like 86ed afford to do this? Sending out prizes every week. Custom products. Maybe business is just really good. If so, congrats.

-Does "Join the Big Band" with the heroines playing instruments in BB's lv.3 have potential? I've searched & haven't seen it anywhere.

Apologies for any mistakes in the past. I strive to do my best & am disappointed when anything goes wrong. My boss/art director/business partner/housemate at my company has very high standards & gets very angry when I mess up, so I'm usually extremely careful. Thanks!

View attachment 5911

I'm not sure if the previous post was answered, but I emailed some questions and a rough idea a week ago as well, and didn't receive a response, which is fine. In hindsight, the questions & image were not all that great. Maybe the company is flooded with emails & extremely busy. Been a pretty busy week for me as well, so I didn't have time to enter this week's contest.

-Has anyone from this forum won the contest? I'm curious since we share a lot of gameplay & other tips here. Figured maybe we could encourage each other with this.

-How does a small company (I think) like 86ed afford to do this? Sending out prizes every week. Custom products. Maybe business is just really good. If so, congrats.

-Does "Join the Big Band" with the heroines playing instruments in BB's lv.3 have potential? I've searched & haven't seen it anywhere.

Apologies for any mistakes in the past. I strive to do my best & am disappointed when anything goes wrong. My boss/art director/business partner/housemate at my company has very high standards & gets very angry when I mess up, so I'm usually extremely careful. Thanks!
Not sure what happened, you mayve sent the e-mail while the mail server was down, I sent you one.

Not sure what happened, you mayve sent the e-mail while the mail server was down, I sent you one.

Thanks for the reply, Maji. I just got the email three hours ago, and will move on with a cleaned up drawing.
Side note: I noticed you have a PSN. I play on PS3 on weekends. Let me know if you ever want to get in a few matches. (I'm W.Coast US intermediate)

Thanks for the reply, Maji. I just got the email three hours ago, and will move on with a cleaned up drawing.
Side note: I noticed you have a PSN. I play on PS3 on weekends. Let me know if you ever want to get in a few matches. (I'm W.Coast US intermediate)
Uh what time today?