• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Fighting Scenes!

dMags

Well-known Meatball
Reaction score
Steam
theDMAGS
PSN
theDMAGS
Welcome to the Fighting Scene Thread. The place to discuss, analyze, breakdown, and most importantly ENJOY some of our favorite fighting scenes from various movies and TV shows!

Please keep your posts appropriate and be sure to discuss various aspects of your favorite scenes, this is not a place to just dump links to youtube! Your post could contain details such as: what I love about this scene, what I dislike about this scene, the effects that were used, how it ties into the overall movie, how motivated it made me to go play skullgirls, etc... Again, DO NOT JUST POST A LINK AND WALK AWAY, we want more than that!

It would be preferred if the content posted came from live action film and TV, as opposed to cartoons/anime. The reasoning for this is that well, animation is animation...It's all hand drawn at the discretion of the artist, it didn't require any type of stunt men, choreography, special effects, etc... and that's what we want to see here! So please post accordingly.

Please make proper use of SPOILERS, not everybody has seen every movie so I would encourage the use of spoilers. This also allows people to watch your fight scene first and develop their own opinions before reading your own.

So with that in mind...FIGHT!

Reactions: YussaTampon
Here's two that I really enjoy, the first one I'm sure a lot of people here have seen, the second one maybe not.

1. Oldboy

One of my favorites, and I'm sure a lot of people have seen this one before. I really love that it's all one continuous shot, and isn't simply showing our hero beat the crap out of a bunch of dudes one at a time. We see him take hits, we see him give hits, and ultimately we see him win because he clearly has the skill and will power to overcome his foes. Yes, some of the punches look weak, and at times you can see when our hero is down that the bad guys "go easy" on him with some of their kicks....but I like this, and I think it shows a much more real side to fighting. Fighting is extremely tiring....hell its INSANELY tiring to the point where after a few minutes you can barely hold your fists up, and I think this scene does an extremely good job of highlighting that. Last but not least, his smile at the end. It's perfect, he did something most could not and he's damn proud of it. Anyway, regardless of the fight scene, this is a great movie about revenge and the lengths someone will go to achieve it. The story is extremely daring, and I respect it for that.

2. Who am I

Jackie Chan!! I love me some Jackie Chan, his movies are always entertaining. They have a certain goofy/slapstick humor to them, while showing us some extremely well choreographed action that never ceases to impress, and that's exactly what we get with this scene. I really like how the two opponents start out extremely cocky, allowing each of them a go at Jackie before ultimately realizing they're no match 1 on 1. The contrast in the two opponents is also pretty cool, one of them utilizing their fists while the other his legs/feet ( Hitmonlee/Hitmonchan anyone? ). Sprinkle in some of that Jackie Chan humor and his flexible footwork, and you've got yourself a great fight scene. In particular with this one, the sequence starting at ~5:39 always makes me nervous. Jackie is known for always doing his own stunts, so just the fact that he was balancing like that and putting himself at risk is nerve-wracking. Sure, I assume he may not have actually been on a rooftop or at least a safety net was probably used, but either way its impressive.

Enjoy!

Reactions: Shockdingo
Awesome thread!
Ever since I was a kid, I loved the 1990 TMNT vs Shredder scene:

It had so much going for it, amazing music, gorgeous lighting, set ups and choreography (none of this modern shakey cam crap). I always loved how Leo was so fast and Shredder was so tough that the former managed to slice deep into the latter's arm. I dunno, also, as I got older I realized Leo was full on trying to MURDER Shredder (that scream Saki gives - yikes!).

Man I totally forgot about the 1st TMNT, I was such a fan of #2 Secret of the Ooze. Leo is full of some serious ANGST haha lots of passion. The music is really dope in that scene too, very fitting and totally sets the mood. Watching this makes me have so much respect for older movies and hate modern movies a lot more. TMNT being the perfect example too, the old turtle suits 100% STILL hold up, where as the new CGI stuff is just plain old dumb. Also, totally didn't read the title and when the 'Guile theme' started playing I almost lost it laughing haha

Reactions: Shockdingo