• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Filia Combo Archive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Halp!

There are two tricks to that part of the combo:

* Delay your j.LK until the apex of your jump
* Set a macro for [MP HP] and use that to do your dash cancel. That way you can tap it twice, the first one will be your dash cancel and the second will be your s.MP

Reactions: SpaghettiViking
Is there any trick to getting a ground dash off of an HK airball instead of an airdash? It seems like you have to wait for the long hitstop at the end of the airball to end and then quickly put in a dash (and then a quick attack because there is not much hitstun to spare). Is that the whole method to it or is there an easier way?

Is there any trick to getting a ground dash off of an HK airball instead of an airdash? It seems like you have to wait for the long hitstop at the end of the airball to end and then quickly put in a dash (and then a quick attack because there is not much hitstun to spare). Is that the whole method to it or is there an easier way?

a lot of it is positioning in the air, you need to make sure you are as low as possible before starting the HK airball. that should get you on the ground by the time it ends.

Try to land your j.mk(if that's what your doing) as late as possible, after a while you get used to the correct positioning and can go to a reset if you are too high.

In this case I was trying to find something I could consistently get off an airthrow to HK airball or for raw HK airballs. I guess the answer is to j.MP j.HK restand for high air throws/airballs and to get a ground dash off the HK airball for low ones?

for corner or near corner airthrows, you can do airball > airdash jHP > LP > HP full combo

Have some stuff to share from just before
Also since I was a silly man and recorded 3v2, does anyone know the numbers for converting the damage to other situations? (like to 1v1, 2v1 etc). Would be good to know how these compare to the other combos in this thread

the damage # would be the same for 1v1 2v2 3v1 and 3v2. if you are playing 3v3 or 2v3 it will do 1.3x damage. if you are doing 1v2 or 1v3 it will do 1.75x damage. the things that will really change is the hp of your opponent. 3v1 your opponent will have double hp and i forget what 3v2 gives the 2 players (i think its in the 1600s)

Also since I was a silly man and recorded 3v2, does anyone know the numbers for converting the damage to other situations? (like to 1v1, 2v1 etc). Would be good to know how these compare to the other combos in this thread
Just doing some basic math on Combo 1 using the HP numbers: 10209/16445 translates to 8877/14300. Which is a "holy shit!" amount of damage although I'd want to try to compare that to that Japanese corner combo from earlier.

This is kind of a weirdly phrased question but is there anything "philosophically wrong" with this (edit: mid-stage) combo segment:

[whatever] s.HP, j.HK xx airdash j.LK j.MP (1) j.HK (restand) [whatever]

(works on all the lights, you can probably modify it for heavies but I haven't started)

It's pretty hard for me and I don't want to grind it into muscle memory if there is something more clever. I just want a way to start a combo with as many heavy attacks as I can fit in without burning OTG or changing the direction of wall carry.

I kind of have a pet peeve about everyone figuring out Filia's combo damage with a j.HP, j.HK starter. You can add jump-ins to pretty much any combo so I think it's more useful to figure out damage off a more typical ground starter.

Similarly to what obregon posted, I've been working on this one myself:

cr.LK -> cr.MK -> st.HP -> j.LP -> j.MP -> j.MK x2 -> airdash -> j.MP -> j.HK -> restand ->
st.LP x2 (for confirming the restand) -> st.MK -> st.HP (relaunch) ->
j.LK -> j.MP -> j.MK x2 -> H airball -> Gregor finisher

The timing of the j.LP -> j.MP is different for many of the characters, and I can get the full combo down maybe 10-20% of the time in training. I've pulled this off in a live match only three to five times total, but it hasn't prevented me from continually trying (yet). Like obregon, I've been trying to learn the timing of this particular combo for the characters and commit it to muscle memory, but it would be nice to see if this is actually good/bad from some of the more experienced members here.

Well instead of the H airball -> gregor finisher you can hit the j.LK j.MP j.MK section low to the ground so you can dash cancel the airball into a ground dash and then do some ground chain (you might want to save your jabs for this) into c.HP, H hairball, then the dragon punch super (which hits way harder than gregor at the end of a combo because it does a chunk of unscaled damage).

That basic combo structure has a lot of distance on wall carry and retains the OTG so even excellent players use it, despite the raw damage output being relatively low.

I kind of have a pet peeve about everyone figuring out Filia's combo damage with a j.HP, j.HK starter. You can add jump-ins to pretty much any combo so I think it's more useful to figure out damage off a more typical ground starter.
Actually I guess I can understand the issue with j.HP starters, but with j.HK -> j.HP -> j.HK starters, you don't have as much undizzy to work with so the combo will need to be shorter (starts accumulating during first air chain post launcher). But yea I agree, Ill probably start from cr.LK or something from now (but still it can be useful to know the damage cap just sayin)

Was finally able to test my combo in the new version and confirmed that this works on everyone in the corner, can be started from any hit be it OTG or jump in, and dose 8.2k or more if you use your OTG at the end.

The notation is this:

c.lk > s.mk > s.hp > j.hp > j.hk > qcb hk (hairball) > dash j.mk(x2) > j.hp > s.mk > s.hp > j.mp > j.hp > j.hk > dash j.lk > j.mk(x2) > j.hp > (this is where you have to change it up on heavys)

For light characters:

land after the j.hp and jump again to do j.lp > j.mp > j.hp > s.lp > s.mp > c.hp >(with or without OTG the end is a bit different for max damage)

Light characters with OTG after c.hp > qcb.hk (hairball) > c.lk > s.mp > s.mk > s.hk > qcb.hk (hairball) > super

Light characters without OTG after c.hp > qsf.lp (spike) > s.lk > s.mp> s.mk > s.hk > qcb.hk (hairball) > super

For heavy characters:

With OTG after the j.hp land and do a s.lp > s.mp > s.mk > s.hk > qcb.hk (hairball) > c.lk > s.mp > s.mk > s.hk > qcb.hk (hairball) > super

Without OTG after the j.hp land and do s.lp > s.mp > s.mk > s.hk > qcb.hk (hairball) > super

For easier reference:

Light character with OTG not used at start:

c.lk > s.mk > s.hp > j.hp > j.hk > qcb hk (hairball) > dash j.mk(x2) > j.hp > s.mk > s.hp > j.mp > j.hp > j.hk > dash j.lk > j.mk(x2) > j.hp > j.lp > j.mp > j.hp > s.lp > s.mp > c.hp > qcb.hk (hairball) > c.lk > s.mp > s.mk > s.hk > qcb.hk (hairball) > super

Light character with OTG used at start:

c.lk > s.mk > s.hp > j.hp > j.hk > qcb hk (hairball) > dash j.mk(x2) > j.hp > s.mk > s.hp > j.mp > j.hp > j.hk > dash j.lk > j.mk(x2) > j.hp > j.lp > j.mp > j.hp > s.lp > s.mp > c.hp > qsf.lp (spike) > s.lk > s.mp> s.mk > s.hk > qcb.hk (hairball) > super

Heavy character with OTG not used at start:

c.lk > s.mk > s.hp > j.hp > j.hk > qcb hk (hairball) > dash j.mk(x2) > j.hp > s.mk > s.hp > j.mp > j.hp > j.hk > dash j.lk > j.mk(x2) > j.hp > s.lp > s.mp > s.mk > s.hk > qcb.hk (hairball) > c.lk > s.mp > s.mk > s.hk > qcb.hk (hairball) > super

Heavy character with OTG used at start:

c.lk > s.mk > s.hp > j.hp > j.hk > qcb hk (hairball) > dash j.mk(x2) > j.hp > s.mk > s.hp > j.mp > j.hp > j.hk > dash j.lk > j.mk(x2) > j.hp > s.lp > s.mp > s.mk > s.hk > qcb.hk (hairball) > super

I don't remember the damage on the highest damaging version but i know the damage is 8.2 at the lowest and because its universal until the last chain or two its probably going to be the only corner combo I will use until something better emerges

Milked my previous combo as much as I could.

10747 damage(the j.mp can go on a bit longer), 9702 from c.lk s.hp.

I like that way way more than that Japanese combo which starts with ij.HK adc j.HP j.HK. I'll probably replace that one with yours in the OP if it's universal.

I didn't try on anyone else, I ran out time.

Okay, I checked it.

Turns out it either doesn't work on cerebella or is a VERY tight link, it felt like it was possible, but her small hitbox and weight made the c.hp, c.mp bit too hard for me. Should be fine on everyone else though (surprisingly, double was the easiest).

Also, I just realized I didn't put the inputs so here it is:

j.hp, j.hk, s.hp
j.hp, j.hk, dash, j.mk(1 hit), j.hp
s.mk, c.hp, c.mp, s.hp
j.lp, j.lk, j.hp, j.hk, H hairball, adc, j.mp, j.hk(restand)
s.lp, s.lp, c.mk, s.hk, H hairball
c.lk(otg), s.mp(restand), c.mk, s.hk, H hairball, Fenrir

Turns out it either doesn't work on cerebella or is a VERY tight link, it felt like it was possible, but her small hitbox and weight made the c.hp, c.mp bit too hard for me. Should be fine on everyone else though (surprisingly, double was the easiest).
How many targets did you test it on? Because this shit is extremely difficult on Valentine and Parasoul, who coincidentally happened to be my first two training dummies. Valentine's fall speed and hitbox makes connecting the first s.MK a nightmare and I'm pretty sure connecting c.MP after c.HP without using your OTG (or LP drill) is.... wow. I know the bounce height is connected to their height after hitting with s.MK, so it's variable as hell, but I'd like to know this stuff's actually possible before frustrating myself trying to learn it for the next week and a half.

I managed to do it on everyone but bella. Next time I get to play(today or tomorrow) I'll try to make a video doing it on all characters.

Here.
I couldn't get it on bella.

edit: got it on bella on sde, should be possible on mde too but my keyboard execution sucks. sde is when I actually get to play with my controller.

This is pretty impractical on some characters, to make it easier just go straight to s.hp after the s.mk and do s.mp before the first c.mk.

Last edited:
I like that way way more than that Japanese combo which starts with ij.HK adc j.HP j.HK. I'll probably replace that one with yours in the OP if it's universal.

the only reason the JP route looks like that is because you're at stage3 for your first ground starter. It's also universal.

the JP jHP jHK Airball jMP jHK route is also universal and does 9.3-9.6 from cLK starter.

I'm willing to sacrifice 200-300 damage for a universal combo. This is what filia is all about, not putting in effort.

Reactions: evilben
cr.LK -> cr.MK -> st.HP -> j.LP -> j.MP -> j.MK x2 -> airdash -> j.MP -> j.HK -> restand ->
j.LK -> j.MP -> j.MK x2 -> H airball -> Gregor finisher

Well instead of the H airball -> gregor finisher you can hit the j.LK j.MP j.MK section low to the ground so you can dash cancel the airball into a ground dash and then do some ground chain (you might want to save your jabs for this) into c.HP, H hairball, then the dragon punch super (which hits way harder than gregor at the end of a combo because it does a chunk of unscaled damage).

That basic combo structure has a lot of distance on wall carry and retains the OTG so even excellent players use it, despite the raw damage output being relatively low.

So I've been practicing this for about a week now, and I still can't seem to get the second restand to work. If I go with my regular timing, Filia would do a super low IAD after her airball, and if I go with a late timing, the second air combo would drop entirely. I was experimenting adding another hit in there somewhere to bring the characters lower to the ground, but most things I've tried either result in a whiff or the opponent leaving stun and blocking the rest of my string (either way, it's a dropped combo).

I've seen very similar strings from other players before; does anyone have any advice on this? I'm currently of the mindset that I need to modify my second air combo to somehow make the restand work, but I don't know what that would be.

Edit: Added emphasis on the sub-string which I'm currently discussing

Last edited:
stuff
That was filia's main air combo in sde, just watch about any match and you'll see someone doing it.
Make sure you're hitting j.lk a bit late after the jump and allowing the j.mp to hit as many times as possible to hit the j.mk as low to the ground as you can.

So I've been practicing this for about a week now, and I still can't seem to get the second restand to work. If I go with my regular timing, Filia would do a super low IAD after her airball, and if I go with a late timing, the second air combo would drop entirely. I was experimenting adding another hit in there somewhere to bring the characters lower to the ground, but most things I've tried either result in a whiff or the opponent leaving stun and blocking the rest of my string (either way, it's a dropped combo).

I've seen very similar strings from other players before; does anyone have any advice on this? I'm currently of the mindset that I need to modify my second air combo to somehow make the restand work, but I don't know what that would be.

Edit: Added emphasis on the sub-string which I'm currently discussing

Er beaten but the last hit of j.mp has a lot of hitstun, so you can let yourself drop quite a bit before doing the j.mk. I find it to be the easiest and most slop-resistant part of most filia combos that use it once you get the idea.

Okay, so it seems like I can do the second restand on a SOMEWHAT consistent basis now (maybe 50%). The next step is to alter my combo such that I can take advantage of this second restand. Any thoughts? What's the "standard" combo for Filia's second restand? So far, I've got this:

cr.LK -> cr.MK -> st.HP -> (launch) ->
j.LP -> j.MP -> j.MK x2 -> airdash -> j.MP -> j.HK -> (restand) ->
j.LK -> j.MP (hold for all hits) -> j.MK x2 -> H airball (no dash, just let it finish) -> (restand) ->
Fenrir into the corner for another mix-up

I'm thinking I can replace that final Fenrir with some combo INTO Fenrir, but I'm not sure what would be best for this situation. I remember obregon suggested <SOMETHING> into cr.HK into hairball into Fenrir, but I'm trying to see what a good <SOMETHING> might be. In most cases, this would carry my opponent to the corner, so perhaps corner combo relaunch shenanigans might work..... but I've already used up almost all of my moves without triggering IPS. I'm contemplating saving the st.LP for this situation, but it makes the first restand much harder for me to hit confirm. Any ideas?

long post incoming:

The whole basis of that combo is corner carry, and when you reach the corner you have a couple of different options about what to do off the second quasi-restand. You can go like 3/4ths of the stage if you combo the second "reground" chain into an H groundball into the corner, which lets you OTG off of the H groundball knockdown. For an absolute corner-to-corner you can do the same thing and OTG the H groundball with a c.hk into another H groundball (and then a fenrir). From about midstage or a bit closer you can relaunch off the second reground and do a piece of wall combo (this is horrible for undizzy, but something like st.hp j.hp j.hk and you still have an otg after that).

You don't need to use the st.LPs in the first restand, if you hit j.HK on a standing character you have a gigantic hitstun window. At that point you are at max damage scaling so I just do a full c.mk (which does a lot of damage compared to other fully scaled normals, and is kind of a "bargain" for undizzy) into relaunch.

You can't combo from a h airball without dashing AFAIK? The ideal thing to do from an h airball -> ground dash is probably like st.mp (let the opponent drop to standing) full c.mk, then whatever you need to do depending on where the corner is (like a c.hp into h groundball, or a s.hp into an air combo). Saving your s.LPs for this chain and just doing like s.lp s.mp into the heavy normal is easy and reliable in the online-est of situations though.

Fenrir doesn't give "real" mixups because it is a techable knockdown and you aren't at enough advantage to set up any kind of anti-tech trick AFAIK. It should really only be used for a kill.

Note you can also do that basic combo structure by doing straight j.mp j.mk xx airdash j.mp j.hk for the first restand, which saves your first j.lp or j.lk for other stuff later in the combo. I like to do j.lk j.mp j.mk xx h airball (reaches the ground) xx fenrir as a killing ender off the second reground or off of an otg relaunch.

Damn that is a lot of shit I wrote

edit - whoops wrote j.mp xx airdash when I meant j.mp j.mk xx airdash

Last edited:
Good stuff. So if I'm reading that post correctly, I'd say one way the combo should be modified is like so?

st.MK -> st.HP (relaunch) ->
j.LK -> j.MP (hold for all hits) -> j.MK x2 -> H-airball -> (pseudo-restand) ->
Ground dash out of H-airball -> wait for opponent to land -> st.LPx2 -> st.MP -> cr.HP -> H-groundball -> (OTG) ->
cr.HK -> H-groundball -> Fenrir

That sounds.... hard but not impossible. This is probably gonna take me many hours of practice to do even once.

Using c.HK for the OTG off H groundball is kind of a trick shot thing just to corner-to-corner combo, it requires some finesse (you have to cancel the groundball off the c.hp with timing to get the groundball to keep to opponent at just the correct height) and isn't that important (and there are other ways to get a corner to corner, see that japanese combo video on the first page of the thread). It would be better to practice the full corner OTG off of the H ground ball that you get from any combo started from around ~70% of the length of the stage away from the corner it ends up in; it can be something very simple like just H groundball -> c.lk s.mk s.hk xx H groundball xx fenrir.

st.MK -> st.HP (relaunch) ->
j.LK -> j.MP (hold for all hits) -> j.MK x2 -> H-airball -> (pseudo-restand) ->
Ground dash out of H-airball -> wait for opponent to land -> st.LPx2 -> st.MP -> cr.HP
-> H-groundball -> (OTG) ->
cr.HK -> H-groundball -> Fenrir
On that hairball cancel part you don't wait for the opponent to land, that part is NOT a restand. A restand is when the opposing charater returns to a standing position, and you don't need that there. Since the ground hairball gives you a hard knockdown it is in fact better to have your opponent higher when you do it to make the otg easier.

Although, you can use a restand there but it would have to be done after the s.MP, being the her normal with the most hitstun, you can do a delayed c.MK afterwards and get a bit more damage (this is a bit hard, just do s.MK if it feels safer).

You can optimize it a bit doing this:

st.MK -> cr.MK -> st.HP (relaunch) ->
j.LK -> j.MP (hold for all hits) -> j.MK x2 -> H-airball ->
Ground dash out of H-airball -> st.LPx2 -> st.MP(restand) -> cr.MK -> cr.HP -> H-groundball -> dash -> (OTG) ->
cr.LK -> st.MP(restand) -> cr.MK -> cr.HP -> H-groundball -> Fenrir

You can optimize it a bit doing this:

st.MK -> cr.MK -> st.HP (relaunch) ->
j.LK -> j.MP (hold for all hits) -> j.MK x2 -> H-airball ->
Ground dash out of H-airball -> st.LPx2 -> st.MP(restand) -> cr.MK -> cr.HP -> H-groundball -> dash -> (OTG) ->
cr.LK -> st.MP(restand) -> cr.MK -> cr.HP -> H-groundball -> Fenrir

Um, correct me if I'm wrong, but....
= st.MK cannot combo into cr.MK
= You cannot dash out of groundball.... only airball

Other than those two points, I'll give the rest of the combo a try...

Um, correct me if I'm wrong, but....
= st.MK cannot combo into cr.MK
= You cannot dash out of groundball.... only airball

Other than those two points, I'll give the rest of the combo a try...
oh sorry about that, I meant s.MP into c.MK

about the groundball, you don't dash OUT of it, you dash AFTER it since it gives you a knockdown allowing for another chain to end the combo.

Oh interesting.... so replace the st.MK with st.MP. Gonna have to try that out later tonight. This also gives me the idea that I now have an extra st.MK and j.HP unused, so I could potentially do a THIRD launch if I can somehow get the H-airball sub-section to do a full restand. Hmm....

You should try the advanced midscreen combo in the op

Hmm... if anything I'd say I should try out the advanced CORNER combo in the op, since I currently have an 'okay' midscreen BnB but no corner BnB. It'd be good to have at least one midscreen, one corner, and one corner-throw combo in my toolbox.....and for midscreen throw, I'd just spike -> fenrir since the opponent is so far away there's not really anything that can reach

The combos that frontload with j.HP xx airdash j.LK j.HK into an OTG hurt more and are an easy way to turn the direction of corner carry around, so you probably want to be able to switch between that and the long corner carry combo for midscreens and for kills (I personally think you should j.LP instead of j.LK there though - j.LP is Filia's burst bait tool and you can have that option right away).

The rabbit hole just gets deeper.... I wasn't even THINKING about potential burst baits. I assume you mean to INTENTIONALLY activate IPS during the second relaunch, correct?

During a real match I might just opt for the damage though, since I'm always trying to get as much damage off of a hit as I can. The other thing is, burst baiting isn't something I can actually practice on with the training dummy.... I suppose I'm going to have to try this out on real matches to test it.

Gah, improving midscreen BnB, adding corner BnB, burst baiting.... I'm gonna be busy for a while....

EDIT: In before someone says "you can tell the dummy to burst on the first hit"....yes I know this, but I don't know how often a real opponent would fall for it, and THAT is what's important. If the bait ends up being extremely telegraphed, it's not really a good bait.

Last edited:
EDIT: In before someone says "you can tell the dummy to burst on the first hit"....yes I know this, but I don't know how often a real opponent would fall for it, and THAT is what's important. If the bait ends up being extremely telegraphed, it's not really a good bait.
Actually, 1st-hit burst dummies do accurately replicate an opponent who is mashing (throw tech, super, whatever), which is a really important tool to have. Honestly, my burst baits are more centered around these guys.

Opponents who aren't mashing that burst on the first hit don't burst as fast as the dummy, though, because of reaction time.

Once I get off my ass and figure out a recovery trap for Filia, I'll have a more all-purpose set of burst baits.

While practicing the burst bait obregon mentioned, what would be a decent follow-up? The opponent has bursted pretty high in the air, and recovers from the burst by the time they hit the ground so I can't start a ground chain off of that. I was thinking of an air chain but I'm not sure what would work...there doesn't seem to be enough time for me to land and re-jump for an air follow-up. I can't seem to air-dash in after the burst without hitting the ground first...PP gives a push block, and 66 on the stick doesn't come out until Filia lands for some reason (maybe I'm too slow?). I've tried delaying the j.LP, but even delayed the burst happens too high off the ground. Even doing a land -> dash -> st.HP is too slow (the training dummy blocks the st.HP mid-air after the burst).

Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.