• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

FPS counter and training mode self-record

gold163

Reaction score
PSN
gold163
Squigly Peacock
Some quality-of-life suggestions here, nothing radical. Mostly suggestions meant for training mode.

Could we get a persistent frame-rate counter in the bottom corner of the screen? This is mainly for PC version where people with lower-spec machines might want to know exactly how smoothly the game is running at a given time.

Also, it would probably be a pain in the ass to implement, but wouldn't it be cool to be able to record your own inputs in training mode (as opposed to the dummy character's) and play them back? This would be used in instances like, I want to analyze a combo or blockstring but I don't want to manually perform it every single time. Additionally, it would be pretty useful to have multiple save states instead of just the one (not sure if this is already in game?)

A common FPS counter that players use is FRAPS. It's low-resource so it shouldn't be a problem on any computer capable of running Skullgirls.

In regards to recording inputs, you just need to have the character/team you wish to record as the dummy.

Multiple recordings are already implemented; under the Recording Number training option, "1", "2", and "3" are each separate recordings, so you could quickly switch between them. There's also the "Sequential" option to play them in order, as well as the "Random" option that is useful for things like testing your reactions to mixups with similar starters.

The problem I have with FRAPS is that it isn't natively recording the game's internal frame rate so it's not really an accurate indication of how smoothly the game is running. Use stat_fps or a similar console command in an Unreal/Source/idtech engine game in conjunction with FRAPS and you'll see what I mean.

The purpose I had in mind for self-recording was to be able to see the inputs you used. To my knowledge you can't currently do that if you're recording the dummy. I suppose an easier change would be to show controller inputs even when in the dummy control state.

As for multiple recordings, I was more referring to the idea of having multiple save states, which is the other "select button" function. So let's say you could have one state where both characters are midscreen, another where the characters are in the corner, and if you wanted to test a combo in a particular state you could switch between states instead of having to overwrite the current state.