• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Fukua General Discussion

I thought she was getting a joke story of sorts?

Yes. She's not getting a story and she's not canon.
That's pretty lame

That's pretty lame

A story would be cute, but there's about a dozen things I'd much rather see them use their time and money on. :p So it doesn't bug me much.

She's not a story character, so I don't think one is essential really - the clone characters she parodies rarely even got endings, much less story modes.

Reactions: Funkermonster
I wish Fukua could do the variations for the fireball ground super.

Haven't had the chance to use a good PC in a while, can anyone confirm if some of the crossup resets in this still work after j.hk? Particularly the s.mk cancels.

i've literally tried that.....shit i even tried my reset. it no longer is possible.

I just started playing with this character and I have no idea what I'm doing with her. In her present state at least: I need to know a few things before I try and really use this character. I know there's an official combo thread, but that's not what I'm looking for:

When playing with her, what is the main objective? I mean her most defining feature and must-know techniques and general pros/cons before I try to learn combos and stuff.
Example of a description of a character from another Fighting Game:
Sasquatch in Vampire Savior, undeniably one of the 2 best characters in the game, and not so difficult to access either. His gameplay is characterized by extreme pressure and unseeable high/low mixups. He is backed up by high health, incredible movement speed (if you've mastered short hops), extremely buff normals, and some very high damage combos. His only 2 notable weakness are having one of the worst walking speeds and a not-so -great air game, though it doesn't say much considering how you shouldn't be too walking in the first place and its not much of an issue.

Executional Requirements
Low to Mid Level

Sasquatch is very strong at a low to mid level without putting in much work. At the very least you'll want to be able to do at least a single short hop at will for a mix up or to start some pressure.

Mastery

Sasquatch at a master level becomes a slightly difficult, but compared to the majority of the cast is still generally easy. Short hop becomes extremely emphasized as you must be able to short hop the entire length of the screen, instantly short hopping right as you land from the previous one. Doing them them cleanly definitely takes some time to master, but it looks beautiful when executed perfectly.

You'll also want to be able to 1-hit push block at will. Sasquatch very easily turns defense into offense, potentially more so than the rest of the cast. You will simply push block, and short hop in behind it.

What To Focus On When Starting Out
  • short hop practice
  • air resets into high/low
Basically, I just want to know what I need to practice first before I take this babe out for a test drive and how hard/easy it'll be to play with her; a simple beginner's characterization of this fighter. All I ask is that someone describe her playstyle to me in a similar way to the spoiler on Sasquatch. And yes, I know this character is incomplete and some of these can change in the future until she's good/bad enough to be considered balanced, but any advice will work for now anyway.

Last edited:
I just started playing with this character and I have no idea what I'm doing with her. In her present state at least: I need to know a few things before I try and really use this character. I know there's an official combo thread, but that's not what I'm looking for:

When playing with her, what is the main objective? I mean her most defining feature and must-know techniques and general pros/cons before I try to learn combos and stuff.
Example of a description of a character from another Fighting Game:
Sasquatch in Vampire Savior, undeniably one of the 2 best characters in the game, and not so difficult to access either. His gameplay is characterized by extreme pressure and unseeable high/low mixups. He is backed up by high health, incredible movement speed (if you've mastered short hops), extremely buff normals, and some very high damage combos. His only 2 notable weakness are having one of the worst walking speeds and a not-so -great air game, though it doesn't say much considering how you shouldn't be too walking in the first place and its not much of an issue.

Executional Requirements
Low to Mid Level

Sasquatch is very strong at a low to mid level without putting in much work. At the very least you'll want to be able to do at least a single short hop at will for a mix up or to start some pressure.

Mastery

Sasquatch at a master level becomes a slightly difficult, but compared to the majority of the cast is still generally easy. Short hop becomes extremely emphasized as you must be able to short hop the entire length of the screen, instantly short hopping right as you land from the previous one. Doing them them cleanly definitely takes some time to master, but it looks beautiful when executed perfectly.

You'll also want to be able to 1-hit push block at will. Sasquatch very easily turns defense into offense, potentially more so than the rest of the cast. You will simply push block, and short hop in behind it.

What To Focus On When Starting Out
  • short hop practice
  • air resets into high/low
Basically, I just want to know what I need to practice first before I take this babe out for a test drive and how hard/easy it'll be to play with her; a simple beginner's characterization of this fighter. All I ask is that someone describe her playstyle to me in a similar way to the spoiler on Sasquatch. And yes, I know this character is incomplete and some of these can change in the future until she's good/bad enough to be considered balanced, but any advice will work for now anyway.
Bait the oponnents approach with darts and keep throwing clones around and you should be good.

j.HK.

On block, instant low/throw/command throw mixup.

On hit, combo.

On whiff, dart.

Make everything else up as you go. Sasquatch had been around for over a decade. Don't expect that level of knowledge just yet. Instead, you can make things up and see if it works.

fukua is half zoner. her primary goal is to make someone make a dumb mistake by throwing fireballs.

when the person is within range you start using your shadows.

she has some great resets there are alot of burst baits people don't know about.....she's still a underplayed character so no one knows exactly how to fight her fully but the basic plan is to zone properly then rushdown accordingly.

She's a blank canvas. Do whatever works because this is uncharted territory and anyone playing her is trying to figure out the objective just like you.

What do you guys think about Fukua's shadows being changed to have different animations. I'm really not feeling it, with Fukua having no overhead outside a full jump or overhead shadow, I feel this will really impact her ability to open opponents up when she is on the offensive. Her only real mixup left is low/command throw and command throw requires a meter to convert at all unless you are cornered.

Maybe this wont affect all Fukua players as much but it absolutely destroys the way I play her, I like to get a medium shadow blocked at mid range then get some pressure going. You can counter hit Fukua out of a block string into shadows other than low; which you can jump out of, so I don't really see why they are so powerful they need to be telegraphed to this extent.

What do you guys think about Fukua's shadows being changed to have different animations.

At a close enough range the shadow comes out too fast to react to without there being any sort of tell before the active shadow frames. Long range, I'm not really sure. Either way, the move is still a really useful tool for zoning purposes. It also still allows for good mix-up and reset potential, it's just a little more fair now.

Also, you CAN convert off of her command throw without meter regardless of where you are. Mike specifically made sure that it was possible in one of the updates.

Reactions: Armageddon11
What do you guys think about Fukua's shadows being changed to have different animations. I'm really not feeling it, with Fukua having no overhead outside a full jump or overhead shadow, I feel this will really impact her ability to open opponents up when she is on the offensive. Her only real mixup left is low/command throw and command throw requires a meter to convert at all unless you are cornered.

Maybe this wont affect all Fukua players as much but it absolutely destroys the way I play her, I like to get a medium shadow blocked at mid range then get some pressure going. You can counter hit Fukua out of a block string into shadows other than low; which you can jump out of, so I don't really see why they are so powerful they need to be telegraphed to this extent.
honestly you should be able to have someway of telling if an attack is coming low or high, the new animations keep it interesting too, never thought i would see that much Sass from a clone

I'm kind of willing to give up the shadow ambiguity for it just looking nicer.

Also, only the super armor command grab can be followed up without meter outside of the corner.

At a close enough range the shadow comes out too fast to react to without there being any sort of tell before the active shadow frames. Long range, I'm not really sure. Either way, the move is still a really useful tool for zoning purposes. It also still allows for good mix-up and reset potential, it's just a little more fair now.

Also, you CAN convert off of her command throw without meter regardless of where you are. Mike specifically made sure that it was possible in one of the updates.
The armoured throw you can convert, normal one how?

The shadows have a very long startup. They are fantastic for keeping someone locked down at mid range but mixup, with different animations, not so much.

The low one is the fastest at 23? Whereas the overhead is at 29? 29 is so slow even I can react to it consistently. 23 is reactable quite easily by most fighting game players. Maybe not 100% of the time, but consistently enough.

EDIT: Yeah, they look great, but I'm a player and I want to have some kind of way of opening an opponent up outside of frame traps / whiff punishing.

never thought i would see that much Sass from a clone
isn't it a sci-fi cliche that clones think themselves superior to their original?

No idea what these new animations for clone look like.

The armoured throw you can convert, normal one how?

The shadows have a very long startup. They are fantastic for keeping someone locked down at mid range but mixup, with different animations, not so much.

The low one is the fastest at 23? Whereas the overhead is at 29? 29 is so slow even I can react to it consistently. 23 is reactable quite easily by most fighting game players. Maybe not 100% of the time, but consistently enough.

EDIT: Yeah, they look great, but I'm a player and I want to have some kind of way of opening an opponent up outside of frame traps / whiff punishing.

I assumed you were talking about the armored version, not sure why. But you are correct, you can't convert off of the normal command grab mid-screen.

And yes, now that each version is differentiated it is easier to react to them. The problem before was that it was pretty much impossible to react to them. Even though each move had 23 - 29 frames of startup, the shadow simply came out too fast to tell which one it was before it got to you. Of course you could always jump out of it, or do a number of other things on reaction regardless of which clone was being sent out. I dunno. I'll wait till I can actually play with the new frames implemented before really making any judgement on the matter.

But being reactable means there is no mixup. Throwing out the overhead or even the launch shadow is unsafe because you can just be counter hit in the gap between 2HP or whatever > shadow. So the real mixup was actually whether they could push buttons or not. The low one you could jump forward and punish accordingly that way.

I'll wait for the frames for final judgement, I just feel Fukua will want to only ever sit at mid range throwing shadows hoping you just mess up and get hit.

Ive only seen like one...anyone got screen caps or details on what all her new frames for the shadow before attacks look like if I may ask?

They are in the salty update video before the Eliza stuff.

To people complaining about Shadows being 'too fast': Who gives a shit about them being unreactable? How many mixups in SG are reactable? Do you reaction block Filia's 16f overheads? Low/Throw will eternally be something you can't react to. Etc

@Tomo009: She will stay a character with really good neutral, strong zoning, safe pressure up close, shadows being +20/30 on block point blank, incredible supers, tbc and she will be slightly less braindead and lose some mixup/opening up potential; I don't think it's a big deal.
You can still open people up with low/throws and left/rights, plus as soon as you notice that people just go "Well, always crouchblock against her", things like jumpin LK/MK enter the picture - much like I catch loads of people with Parasoul [c.LK c.MK delay xx L.Tearshot] and [c.LK c.MK c.LK] cus they go "Only option Parasoul has after her Mediums is overhead, so always upback/standblock after that point!"

P.S. "Being reactable" does NOT automatically mean "there is no mixup". People get hit by her armored grab -- hell, people get hit by Daisy Pusher. And not just beginners. If you don't expect something to happen at all, reaction time hops up easily.

Last edited:
We'll see, I don't think Fukua's pressure will be scary at all past this. With Parasoul you have so many ways to vary your pressure and getting out is difficult in itself so your opponent is actually... well pressured. Fukua can cancel pressure into shadows, but as you mentioned before, string into shadow is akin to 2LK 2MK > 2LK due to the gap inbetween where you can easily escape/straight up punish Fukua. Other than that, well you have LK drill to keep yourself safe and command throw to keep them honest.

I think we will need to look for pushblock baits as a main way to open people up, not particularly easy with Fukua's chain system though I feel, I usually only get pushblocked on 2HP, need to find ways to get them wanting to pushblock earlier so I can bait it.

Armoured throw mostly catches people autopiloting pressure/reversal supering

i understand how you feel however adding assist and all sorts of crazy things inside skullgirls i believe that shadows will still have holding power. even if they block you still got enough pressure to grab(not the most damaging but like its a grab) or double c lk into mixups. i'll wait until she gets out to see how i think but as it stands i believe her shadows can still work the same way but maybe for more different approaches.

Yes assist choice will become very important to a successful Fukua, I was actually liking the idea of playing her anchor though haha. I liked using shadow as an assist and she can make fantastic use of meter.

i feel as though she's better as middlemen or women.. the shadow assist would be cool....if she was behind point character. it works for peacocks and for characters that like the ground like.... parasoul. big band(you better guess right when he has meter or so help the soul of your weiner cause you know you'll get castrated with SSJ). i personally still use drill cause of the push to the corner and for the pressue it holds.

the only reason i say 2nd is because....a fukua alone........sucks.....like really sux against another team unless you make an excellent decision.

I can't wait... but I must persevere! :FUK:

oh snap i"m gonna go download it now, they actually did a nightmare crest *3* I bet it fits Fukua so well X3

Funny enough I kinda called nightmare crest, I knew it would happen lol

Fucking creepy stage.

Reactions: Lunerstep
I haven't seen it on Steam yet, is it hitting tonight/tomorrow?

I haven't seen it on Steam yet, is it hitting tonight/tomorrow?
Mike is finalizing the patch so apparently its coming out in a few hours